Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silvrbreez in another forum has a thread that states something I found very interesting about are so called restrictive Y-pipe that I feel needs to be looked into a little further. Below is the link. I just want to see what everyone thinks about this.

http://p085.ezboard.com/ftunfsfrm4.showMessage?topicID=511.topic

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I've read that as well, and I've also looked closely at the stock Y pipe when I had the stock exhaust off my truck. I still think the stock Y is a major bottle neck in the system. I've done a lot of research on the web into the dynamics of an effcient exhaust system, and everything I've read claims that effeciently moving exhaust gases from the engine out the tailpipe is what will increase power and fuel effeciency. I'm no engineer, and pitting these concepts into words is a bit difficult, but essentially what I've read boils down to having a system that uses the exhaust pulses to move the gases out of the engine. This is why too big a pipe has a negative effect because a small pipe opens into a larger pipe, the effeciency of flow is disrupted. Same principle applies to a smooth passage way, which is why companies use mandrel bent pipes, that have no buckles or other restrictions. I would guess the same principal would apply to other obstructions as well, such as a restrictive Y pipe. From what I've read, the most effecient system is one that uses the same size pipe (or just slightly larger) as stock and has a smooth unobstructed flow. I was going to have a custom muffler shop fab me a system using a Magnaflow Y pipe and MagnaFlow muffler to free up restrictions while using stock sized mandrel bent pipes. I haven't done this yet because I can't find a reasonablely priced muffler shop that does mandrel bent pipes. Plus, JBA has announced basically the same system I was thinking of having made, so I'm also waiting to see the results of that system. If it performs as advertised, it may be more cost effective for me to just buy that system rather than re-invent the wheel. I know all companies claim their product is the best, but I'd really like to see a real world comparison of the Stillen and JBA done on the same truck under the same conditions and see which one actually does perform the best!

·
Registered
225 Posts
According to a fellow club frontier member, here is a review of the Gibson Cat-back exhaust that replaces the stock Y-Pipe:

http://www.jackphelps.com/frontier/exhaust.htm

Supposedly no low end lost. We'll see, I'm on my way to pick up my Frontier with a new Stainless Steel Exhaust right now!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I still have the 4" stainless exhaust off my diesel laying in the garage. I suspect there is enough piping to make it fit my Frontier.

That ought to sound like an open exhaust Frontier in a cave! :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
I think unless you do other performance mods, the y-pipe doesnt need to be replaced. Nissan engineers more than likely did that for a reason. Backpressure helps out the low-end torque. If it flows too freely you will lose back pressure and torque. I'm sure it wont hurt too much, but it sure wont help a stock truck either. Maybe once stillen releases the superchargers, then we can start looking at free-flowing 3" exhaust.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had the Gibson 3-inch exhaust installed yesterday, I love it! I didn't buy a mid-size truck for a ton of low end torque anyway.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Gfront, I have not had the truck on the highway yet, so I can't say there. However, at idle with the windows up, I can hear nothing, pure silence. Tomorrow I'll be taking it out on the highway so I'll be able to tell more. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Gfront, I had my truck on the highway for 3 hours this weekend. There is absolutely no drone with the Gibson exhaust. If you are maintaining any speed 55-80mph, you have to strain to differentiate the exhaust sound from the regular road noise. I am very pleased by how quiet this system is when driving normally. In fact, even when you stomp on it, the CAI is louder than the exhaust. These two mods have really made my truck a lot more fun!
:lol: 8) :p :) :D :roll: :twisted:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well Ive been runnig with my Gibson for about 2 months now. The sound is what I was looking for. Added a Airraid intake and like stated in the post before me you hear more of the intake than Gibson. When you hit around 4000 rpm and the other chamber opens in the intake manifold collector it really sounds sweet then.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
My biggest issue with the Stillen and MagnaFlow is the fact you have to cut the stock exhaust after the Y to install their systems. After purchasing the Banks System and not liking it, I pulled it and replaced it with the stock system, had I cut the stick system in half, that wouldn't have been an easy option (at least not in my garage anyway!). It's also interesting that the price of the Stillen and MagnaFlow is not that much different than the Banks, Gibson or JBA which are all full cat-back systems that include the Y pipe.

I'd really like to see some truck magazine do a side by side comparison of each of these systems with Dyno Charts, in-cabin db level readings, and comments on fit and finish! They do that type of comparison of all the trucks, why not do it for all the mods! A similar review of available CAI's would also be interesting to see!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I agree Nismo05, a consumer reports type review on each and every performance modification would be very ineteresting and helpful in purchasing decisions. I have checked consumer reports and they do not do this sort of review, does anyone know of an organization that does?

·
Registered
368 Posts
chargedup05 said:
I agree Nismo05, a consumer reports type review on each and every performance modification would be very ineteresting and helpful in purchasing decisions. I have checked consumer reports and they do not do this sort of review, does anyone know of an organization that does?
Nope, sounds like a business opportunity to me! :p

·
Registered
225 Posts
According to that link, the Gibson actually gained torque on the Titan with a larger Y-pipe. I haven't noticed any torque loss with my Gibson, but I would have to drive a stock one again to have a better comparison. What can I say, I have short-term memory.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
If you did lose low end torque, you will be probably making more on the top end, higher RPM's. I didnt really notice any loss of torque when I had the banks system on my truck, but the system was way too loud for my tastes. Chargedup, it looks like it will either be the gibson or JBA, just waiting to see the JBA review.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Gibson actually claims an increase in torque! It probably has to do with the fact they include a resonator in their system and a muffler that isn't just a straight through perferated pipe! You could roll a golf ball through the Banks system from the head pipe to the tail pipe without a single obstruction! Lack of any back pressure at all is not good for torque, no matter what size pipes you have!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Gibson actually claims an increase in torque! It probably has to do with the fact they include a resonator in their system and a muffler that isn't just a straight through perferated pipe!
That makes me feel a lot better about my Gibson now. I didn't think I was losing torque at the low end.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts