Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just like you described the home interior doors..

I want to do the bed lights also, having a shell really stays dark in there.
It's a mod that's definitely worth doing IMO.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
It's a mod that's definitely worth doing IMO.
Yea I’ve been thinking about it and I think I’ll just put a switch inside the bed easy to reach from tailgate. I would put a plunger type switch in but I would still want availability of shutting it off when gate down and not needed.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yea I’ve been thinking about it and I think I’ll just put a switch inside the bed easy to reach from tailgate. I would put a plunger type switch in but I would still want availability of shutting it off when gate down and not needed.
I kind of had to put my rocker switch in the cab to fill the cutout where I previously had a rectangle shaped double usb port.
I decided I didn't like it there and bought a round one that I put in place of the cigarette lighter.
The cigarette lighter then moved to inside the armrest and the 12v socket moved to the back of the center console.
I have a magnetic reed switch on each side of the tailgate. One for the bed lights(interrupts ground) and the other for the alarm.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Would love to hear your thoughts on the dynamat install. Was the reason to reduce road noise, and if so, did you find it made a significant difference?
The install took a lot longer than I had anticipated with the roof being the lone exception.
I did the doors first. A few months later the floor and back wall. A few weeks later the roof. No regrets with any of it.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Did you also do the the inside of the outer door skin?
Butterman, I only did the inside door skins, I didn't try to reach inside to get the inside face of the outer door skin. I installed urethane speaker "cups" before screwing the midranges in, the "cups" create a new baffle and keep sound from bouncing around all over inside the door. I don't hear any noticeable ringing from the door skin sheetmetal and the 4 layers of inner damping is plenty to reduce noise quite a bit. I dont have a calibrated dBA device to quantify.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did fatmat on my interior many years back, it all begun due to a roof crossbar that had become unbonded from the roof panel and was creating a huge racket with any vibration. When I pulled it apart to correct it I figured might as well.
I ended up doing my roof, back wall, and at least one door panel iirc. Maybe some in the foot wells but I can’t remember on that. It definitely helped some but it still needs to be finished and needs some acoustic padding in certain areas with it.

The biggest issue is the thin windows, definitely not acoustic glass. No amount of insulation can fix those. Granted I could probably fix the passenger window rattle with new rubber track material.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
IWill, I believe you are correct, for the most part. I've noticed much more noise with the windows down, which of course would make sense, but it seems that most of the noise I get, other than the whistle from my top light bar and Curt brand roof rack carrier basket, is from the engine bay and lower chassis ( prob tire rumble as they are aging, plus some engine noise ). Adding Dynamatt or equivalent will most definitely help with that, and just with the doors being done, already has. I could hear it the first time I drove the truck, as soon as I was done with the speaker install and buttoned everything back up, the overall cabin ambient noise level dropped and was also a much lower frequency tone on the residuals, which also makes sense as higher frequencies are easier to attenuate.
Raine had mentioned that doing the rear bulkhead and lower floor area behind the rear seat made a very noticeable difference for him, so that's next on my list.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Dynamating my whole truck has been something i've wanted to do for a year now. Its so windy here in south texas that the other day my buddy & I were talking to each other with significantly raised voices just to communicate going down the road and he's sitting right next to me! LOL

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Dynamating my whole truck has been something i've wanted to do for a year now. Its so windy here in south texas that the other day my buddy & I were talking to each other with significantly raised voices just to communicate going down the road and he's sitting right next to me! LOL
been windy up here in dfw area too ,if ya want wind all ya gotta do is try and put a tarp on something here...lol

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yeah I lived half my life in Wichita Falls, Tx. North Texas wind is no joke. I'd say its a bit worse here but either way it gets ridiculous.

And Yeah, Butterman, Corpus Christi, Padre Island, Gulf Coast to be exact

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Yeah I lived half my life in Wichita Falls, Tx. North Texas wind is no joke. I'd say its a bit worse here but either way it gets ridiculous.

And Yeah, Butterman, Corpus Christi, Padre Island, Gulf Coast to be exact
I wish it were at least a little windy here in San Antonio. Especially in the summer when one has to resort to turning on a sprinkler to create a slight breeze when sitting outside.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts