Nissan Frontier Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2022 S King Cab in December. It also has the front driver seat belt click - its not in the roller, it's in the base. Driving me crazy. Has anyone else had success with the dealer fixing this? Or with tightening the mounting bolt? If adjusting the mounting bolt does work, any suggestions as to how best get a wrench in there? A socket is too big and I have no clearance with a box head.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just bought a 2022 S King Cab in December. It also has the front driver seat belt click - its not in the roller, it's in the base. Driving me crazy. Has anyone else had success with the dealer fixing this? Or with tightening the mounting bolt? If adjusting the mounting bolt does work, any suggestions as to how best get a wrench in there? A socket is too big and I have no clearance with a box head.
Shove some felt or rubber in there, that's what I did and is working fine to fix the issue. Do not adjust the bolt IMO, it has a factory alignment mark and adjusting it could be considered tampering which could result in major issues if you ever had an issue with any aspect of the SRS failing or some form of liability concern after an accident. It's the one thing in a new car you just don't mess with.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Shove some felt or rubber in there, that's what I did and is working fine to fix the issue. Do not adjust the bolt IMO, it has a factory alignment mark and adjusting it could be considered tampering which could result in major issues if you ever had an issue with any aspect of the SRS failing or some form of liability concern after an accident. It's the one thing in a new car you just don't mess with.
I seem to recall there is a recall for the tightening of the bolts.

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve been so happy with my ‘22 Pro-4X that I must not be paying attention to the quirks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's for the left rear belt not the drivers belt. Totally different issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the tip on not adjusting the bolt due to liability concerns. Yes, this is the front not the rear, the latter being the recall focus. I tried unsuccessfully to get something down in there to make it stop but will try again.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Stinks that these issues happen to some. I'm up to almost 3K miles and everything has been perfect thus far. Knock on wood!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Stinks that these issues happen to some. I'm up to almost 3K miles and everything has been perfect thus far. Knock on wood!
Due to the design this issue has to be universal. This isn't an occasional manufacturing flaw this is an engineering flaw. The spring washer they used is not deep enough and wiggles back and forth and taps the edge of the nut and the bracket.

A couple possibilities....

1. You are a very big or very small person. I've noticed if you push the buckle receiver out a bit or in a bit the noise stops because the bracket pushes against the spring washer. This is intended and it's why the nut isn't tightened all the way down and also why they use a spring washer - so there is some adjustability. This is an issue that will affect people who end up with the buckle receptacle in the "neutral" position - as what happens to me, at 6' and 170lbs.

2. Your hearing isn't so great. The noise is honestly pretty faint, and it's a relatively high frequency chirp/clink. If you are older or hard of hearing this won't be as apparent and may be totally overriden by road noise.

Just want to refute the idea that this is vehicle sporadic. It is not. This is an engineering flaw that will affect all 2022 Frontiers and will be apparent with medium sized drivers and normal range hearing.

Nissan either needs to issue a TSB to use a thicker spring washer, or issue a TSB to tighten the bracket bolt. My guess is they do neither and are going to just rely on dealership level fixes for those who complain haha. That's why I recommend just jamming some felt or rubber in there, that's what the dealership will do. I used felt initially but it kept falling out so I got a rubber washer, cut it in half, and distorted my hand into a claw so I could shove it deep into that gap. Took a few tries but I got it. Been about 6wks and still stuffed in there good and snug.

I bet you a dollar this impacts the 2023 too, heck the 2024 and 2025. Previous gen Xterras and Frontiers, 2005 onwards, all had the hood chirp over bumps a lot because the rubber hoodstops would rub against the frame rail they sat on. Soft rubber under pressure sliding across metal makes chirps. Issue was the hood stop rubber material was too soft. Solution was to either unscrew the stops further out to make the hood sit ridiculously tightly, or put carpet slider adhesive felt pads on them. Universal problem, can find a million questions about it on this forum and the xterra forums, and Nissan never changed it. They have a really bad habit of not fixing minor issues year over year and waiting for a refresh or remodel to do so, even if it's as simple as a hood stop or spring washer. So I'd say just DIY this one and put it behind you.

Reactions: Trent Larson

·
Registered
799 Posts
Due to the design this issue has to be universal. This isn't an occasional manufacturing flaw this is an engineering flaw. The spring washer they used is not deep enough and wiggles back and forth and taps the edge of the nut and the bracket.

A couple possibilities....

1. You are a very big or very small person. I've noticed if you push the buckle receiver out a bit or in a bit the noise stops because the bracket pushes against the spring washer. This is intended and it's why the nut isn't tightened all the way down and also why they use a spring washer - so there is some adjustability. This is an issue that will affect people who end up with the buckle receptacle in the "neutral" position - as what happens to me, at 6' and 170lbs.

2. Your hearing isn't so great. The noise is honestly pretty faint, and it's a relatively high frequency chirp/clink. If you are older or hard of hearing this won't be as apparent and may be totally overriden by road noise.
I can be wrong but:
1. I'm your height but heavier than you. I'm in the neutral position!
2. I fly airplanes for a living. My hearing is good!
3. My truck doesn't have the issue. I've moved it around while not sitting, with me sitting and with my wife sitting. Nothing!
Sporadic defects do exist, bad batches of parts exist. If that wasn't the case, then everyone would have the same complaint. So far I've seen very few people complaining about the issue. No way all the others are "not neutral average" or have bad hearing!
And my comment was simply stating that I don't have the issue just like others that have also stated the same.

Reactions: OTACORB
41 - 52 of 52 Posts