Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't been here in a while, so if this has already been posted, feel free to delete it. But I searched and couldn't find it.

If you're like me, nothing is worse than having your iPod die 8 hours into a 12-hour drive because you have a new iPod and the Nissan iPod interface doesn't charge the new ones. But I just got this in the mail today and it works awesome. I plugged in my dead iPod and it fired right up, and after a couple hours of dicking around, it's fully charged.

Basically it's a resistor or voltage divider or something that drops the voltage from 12v to 5v, but I haven't seen anyone build their own yet.

So now you know! Again, the link is: Charge Converter - CableJive

·
Registered
325 Posts
Cool, but seems pricey. I hope that when I get my new iPhone (today!) that I don't have to get all new cables and docks etc. Knowing Apple I probably will.

·
Registered
281 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd say its probably an LM7805 in a pretty box. Firewire is 7-30 volts, USB is 5 volts, and an LM7805 will take 7-30 volts and output a constant 5V. Not bad...<$5 worth of parts sold for $20.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Cool, but seems pricey. I hope that when I get my new iPhone (today!) that I don't have to get all new cables and docks etc. Knowing Apple I probably will.
Apple's had the same dock connector since like... what, 2003 ? All that's become incompatible is the charging voltage over time. I'd say that's the most supported and made-compatible interface system anyone's ever used other than the basic USB type-b mini plug,... Previous ipods charged between 5-30v/10-30v, etc.. because of firewire and newer ipods are strictly 5v because they've dropped firewire support.

The cable can be modified though, just look up the pin-out for the dock connector and you can situate it to work yourself. :D

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
Charging Adapter for iPod & iPhone

this has been out for over a year, and doesn't require all those other plug
That serves the same purpose as the link in the OP's post. How is it different?
If anything the OP's part seems better since it is shorter. The scosche's extra length makes it tricky to fit in some of the car's storage compartments like the center console.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts