Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to start a thread to document doing the VK swap in my '10 CCLB now that I am finally getting around to it.

Bought the truck with a blown engine with just shy of 400k. I had a King Cab truck but wanted the extra space of a crew but didn't want a short bed either. This truck popped up cheap ish and looked a lot nicer in the pics than when I showed up. The entire interior will need ripped out and cleaned at some point unless I can find yet another parts truck to swap out with.

Picking it up. You can see the rust over the rear wheel arch that the seller conveniently didn't mention even when I specifically asked if there was any rust. Will patch it up and maybe throw some fender flares on to cover my inevitable poor body work :ROFLMAO:

Home with the now sold KC truck

I pulled the front of the engine apart enough to get a camera in to the oil pan to see if there was any saving the stock engine. Nooope. That is a scattered connecting rod hanging out in there. If I have time in the future I'll pull the pan off and see how f'd it actually is.

Yoink pt 1

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took a few months of crawling FBMP and craigslist but eventually found a suitable donor truck. 2012 Titan with 123k miles.

This truck is super clean compared to the Frontier. At least the drivetrain will live on plus whatever parts I sell off the carcass.

Yoink pt 2

VQ meet VK

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does the Frontier radiator stay, or do you have to swap to the titan radiator? or are they the same?
Radiators are different. The Frontier radiator stays. The cooling system of mine was full of metallic glitter so I plan on putting in a new one. Probably splurge for an all aluminum model.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Musical trucks to make the neighbors happy

Radiator and headers showed up.

Added some cats to the shorty headers. May redo them to put vbands in between for future serviceability. Should only need some short pieces to connect to the rest of the exhaust from here. I ordered an aftermarket cat back kit and will attach to the cats with V-bands.

Fun fact, the Titan and Frontier radiators are the exact same core size, just have different end tanks (thickness is the same also but the Titan end tanks are much beefier and could accommodate a thicker core)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Engine bay pressure washed and a coat of rust reformer then VHT chassis paint on top.

Before

After

Probably going to stab the VK in this weekend. Would have liked to have completed all the welding on the headers first so I could have them fully bolted on beforehand but the v-bands I ordered won't be here for another week at least. Shoulda spent more and just got them from Summit with the headers and cats. Oh well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So this happened today.

I did end up pulling the headers off instead of fighting it. Hopefully I can get them in again. All the studs screwed right out though so I think that makes the job easier.

Settled in its new home. I've had stock replacement engines not drop in as easily as the VK dropped in to this truck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts