Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I been looking at threads and I haven't seen one that I came across yet so I was just wondering has anybody converted there 3 part drive shaft to a solid drive shaft? I have a 06 frontier crew cab 2wd and I know the center support bearing is bad and apparently our trucks are bad for these going out but has anyone ever just said the hell with it and spent the money and went and got a solid drive shaft going to the rear end. Yes I know people have done it for the 4wd models but I think some come with a solid shaft but what about 2wd models? If you have done this please post pics and tell me if u noticed any difference in the solid vs the 3 part. I have a theory that since the rear lockers in the 2wd models suck so bad that maybe going to a solid drive shaft would increase the better chance of not having limited slip because it not having to go thru a support bearing for it to spin. Just my thoughts. Post pics and thoughts belows thanks

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I think the 2wd drive shafts are considered a 2 piece DS. The 4wd, due to the extra length provided by the transfer case, only needs a 1 piece.

I am sure that you can get an driveline shop to make you a long 1 piece. From my experience with other Nissans there is a reason why they went 2P: harmonic vibrations. You truck will most likey vibrate more with a 1 piece unit.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Most shops won't make a 1-piece shaft longer than about 60", though I'm sure there are exceptions. They start to vibrate past that length.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh ok well I know we have what looks like a a frame that unbolts that the center support bearing mounts to I wonder if I take that out if they can just make one. Still wonder though if the drive shaft will hang to low and get caught on stuff? Just a thought

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
It would definitely make it much more susceptible to damage off road but since it's 2x I'm guessing you don't spend much time rock crawling. Bigger issue for you will be vibration.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I just measured figuratively and from what I gathered it's about 68 inches or so but like I said that was a figurative measurement. Wasn't getting no where near that hot *** exhaust pipe ha

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Not knowing the history of your truck...... is this the first time the center support bearing has gone out? if so, I don't think 10 years is considered "bad." In fact, most trucks I have owned have required a U joint or two any time past about 60-70K miles and that many miles there after. I never thought twice about it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well yeah this is the first time I have noticed it I've only had it 2 years but I want to get everything looked at for the limited slip to start working. I replaced a u joint (not realizing it had 3 u joints) and that seemed to help a little it kicks in every now and then but I really want that limited slip to work without me having to go buy a locker

1 - 9 of 9 Posts