Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 CC with 156K. Replaced what I think were original Nissan shocks (bought the truck at 142K).

I bought some Monroe Monro-matic Plus midrange shocks (not the cheapies and not the expensive ones) at $23/each.

Nissan shocks were gone, not much left in them.

With the new Monroes I feel bouncy on the highway, maybe the front torsions need a tightening up? Are they easy to tighten up?

:sickly:

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
What does "bouncy" mean to you? Does it oscelate or is it too stiff?

The only way to "tighten" up a torsion bar is to crank it more but this will result in lift and a stiffer ride.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front end doesn't seem "stiff" enough. Tends to float and go over bumps like a Buick or Oldsmobile from the 80's. A little bouncy and floaty feeling.......

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
That bouncy ride is because the shock (dampener) is just too soft. You need a stiffer unit. I'd recommend you replace the new ones with something else. I'd check the specs on those and what the OEMs were and find something more to your likings.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I recommend the Blisteins or the same brand called NISMO.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I don't have the money right now.......it was all I could do to afford this set.

Backs are just fine, front may get replaced someday

Bought these:

Monroe - Shock Absorber
Part # : 32206
Line: MON

* Monro-Matic Plus
* Limited Lifetime Warranty
* Front
* Crew Cab
* Regular Cab, Extended Cab, Four Wheel Drive (4x4)

They are one step above the gas charged HD line but below the sensa-tracs.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I don't have the money right now.......it was all I could do to afford this set.

Backs are just fine, front may get replaced someday

Bought these:

Monroe - Shock Absorber
Part # : 32206
Line: MON

* Monro-Matic Plus
* Limited Lifetime Warranty
* Front
* Crew Cab
* Regular Cab, Extended Cab, Four Wheel Drive (4x4)

They are one step above the gas charged HD line but below the sensa-tracs.
Financially we all have to live within our means so kudos to you for buying the parts you can afford.

However, with the Monroe's you probably will have to live with that bounce. If you want to firm it up a bit the Ranchos may be what you are looking for

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I'd suggest that next time you do some more research first so that you end up spending your money wisely and only once. It always sucks to have to do it twice but it is a learning experience thou.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I thought a midrange Monroe shock would be good enough. I imagine my torsions are getting worn out at 156K as well. Maybe I just need to give them a little twist.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
monroe's are just not good shocks. thats the problem

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The other parts store had Gabriels. Probably about the same.

It would be nice to have the cash to buys some KYB's.

How easy is it to tighten up the torsion bars on this truck?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Turn the two adjuster bolts with a big wrench an equal number of turns while the front tires are off the ground and all the weight is taken off the suspension. keep in mind this will lift the front of your truck some AND you may need to get an alignment afterwards.

I don't think this is going to help you any. If if wasn't bad with the stocks put them back on.

·
Registered
578 Posts
My torsion bars are raised as high as they can be without throwing the front end out of wack and my ride doesn't feel any stiffer than before they were cranked up.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
The other parts store had Gabriels. Probably about the same.

It would be nice to have the cash to buys some KYB's.

How easy is it to tighten up the torsion bars on this truck?
I have the gabrieal ultras on the front on my frontier and my X. they improved the ride of my 150K OEM shocks. One of the front OEM shocks didn't extend in the week it rolled around the bed.
I put the gabriel coil over shocks on the back. I get bounce when its empty, needs a good 500 pounds back there to smooth things out.
I haven't tried any other shocks, Autozone had them for about $40 each. Just buying them one or two at a time like I do most things.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have had the Sensi-Tracs on my 03 Desert Runner for many years and like them.

You may have gotten a bad shock. Many years ago I bought new shocks and one had a pin hole in a seam and oil leaked out. Maybe the place you bought them from will take them back.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll have to live with them. The OEM shocks were gone. The fronts you could push it in and it would not move back out at all. just hoping to get another 2-3 years out of the truck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts