Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a thread to guide people on best practices as a whole for doing things proactively on your car (not just normal required maintenance). Solid good things that at least the majority would agree to. Not to create performance or looks just good things to make the truck last or create a better experience. I know everyone is different. My car has 2k miles on it now.

• Washed, polished, and waxed (as dealerships suck at detailing that lasts)
  • Bought new floor mats that can handle nasty mud and snow (I personally use Weathertech but everyone has their faves)
  • I have two kids and a sloppy eating wife, so I Scotchguarded the heck out of everything absorbent carpet/seats (plan on doing it a few times a year)
  • Under seat storage or under front seats for supplies based on your needs (I currently have a real tire iron, rope, bungee cords, towel, track cleats, spare hitch pin, etc. which works for me but will change constantly)
Now I rely on your all's experience...but next steps for me maybe. I am looking for no nonsense stuff
  • I am thinking to move to synthetic after 3k miles
  • Possibly moving to a better air filter
  • Better fluids?
Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
10,239 Posts
Congratulations on the new truck, just keep the fluids changed and you’ll be just fine. I had five Frontiers and all were very reliable. Drive it and enjoy every mile. Tell the Mrs. NO EATING IN THE TRUCK!
Sorry, I couldn’t help myself.

Clint

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I was looking for a thread to guide people on best practices as a whole for doing things proactively on your car (not just normal required maintenance). Solid good things that at least the majority would agree to. Not to create performance or looks just good things to make the truck last or create a better experience. I know everyone is different. My car has 2k miles on it now.

• Bought new floor mats that can handle nasty mud and snow (I personally use Weathertech but everyone has their faves)
  • I have two kids and a sloppy eating wife, so I Scotchguarded the heck out of everything absorbent carpet/seats (plan on doing it a few times a year)
  • Under seat storage or under front seats for supplies based on your needs (I currently have a real tire iron, rope, bungee cords, towel, track cleats, spare hitch pin, etc. which works for me but will change constantly)
Now I rely on your all's experience...but next steps for me maybe. I am looking for no nonsense stuff
  • Better fluids?
Thoughts?
I would look into nhoil wax and oil undercoating if you live where they salt the roads. That’s is for new vehicles only. I have nhoil oil sprayed on my frame the past 2 yrs and it is amazing.

·
Registered
562 Posts
no need to do the first oil change before 5000 miles. new engines aren't like older ones. they are pretty much broken in from the factory these days and the tolerances are right on the money with computer tech and everything they have now.

most are filled with synthetic oil from the factory these days.

all you have to do is follow the owner's manual. it tells you exactly what to do to make it last as long as possible. the way you drive also has an affect on it too but that's another story altogether.

wash and wax it as much as possible. it's only gonna help the paint not hurt it.

i would never use anything other than synthetic oil.

·
Registered
2007 Nissan Frontier CC LE 4x4
1 Posts

• Better fluids?
Thoughts?
Congrats. My 2007 Frontier LE C/C 4x4 is my daily driver. Every weekend I haul stuff to and from the lake too. Original owner since new and just passed over 150K miles. Making your truck last is not luck, but good practices.
All big ticket repair items incl engine, trans, brakes (yes/brakes), starter, alternator are "original" on my truck. Exluding tires, my biggest repairs bills have been assorted susp'n components and u-joints. Here's my thoughts:
1. Unless DYI inclined, get aquainted w/good trusted mechanic. I only used my dealer for recall repairs - period.
2. Keep on top of noises, knocks etc. Addressing these hints early is good insurange against bigger problems down the road.
3.Stick to a regular maintenance schedule during warranty. While I didn't religiously follow the factory maintenace schedule, I modifed my own in a spreadsheet. Along w/oil changes (semi-synthetic), I also scheduled drivetrain fluid changes, antifreeze replacements, battery replacements every few years and do them when due, but not after they've failed.
4.Driving habits. I drive in a manner to minimize maintenance. I keep up with traffic but accelerate and brake easy. I don't tailgate and watch road ahead so I can coast to traffic lights and avoid unnecessary braking. It's proven less stressful driving and certainly much cheaper on wallet.
5.Related, I keep my fuel and maintenance records on an app. Stats can alert me of any changes to fuel economy etc over time. No bull, my combined city/hwy avg fuel economy (since new) remains at 19.07mpg.
6.Extra Services unnecessary. Never ever bought a trans flush, radiator flush, fuel injection cleaning etc. They're not in the manual, and if you keep up with maintenance, they're all unnecessary.
7.I regret not using seat cover on drivers seat. Got a lot of miles and worn through the seat upholstery from going in and out of vehicle over the years.
8. Get rust prevention treatment. Our Canadian winters are pretty brutal. While I rarely wash my truck, my first signs of fender rust started appearing a year ago. After 12 years, that's great compared to most Chev's, Rams and Fords I see of this vintage. But I now regret not investing in a rust prevention treatment like Krown every couple of years. Beyond rock chips and the like, my truck would still be looking like new if I could have kept this rust at bay.

Mine is still going strong. Runs, rides and idles like new. Certainly got my money's worth out of this truck, and if it weren't for the start of body rust, I'd consider driving it another thirteen years. !

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
There really isn't a better air filter than the original. Most of the "high performance" aftermarket filters aren't as effective at filtering out dirt as the original.

Having good driving habits helps a lot - In particular, going easy on the engine until it's warmed up to normal operating temperature. Cold oil doesn't lubricate nearly as well as hot oil, and lots of engine parts have slightly different dimensions until they warm up - which means that they don't fit together as well, or slide against each other as smoothly. That's why a cold engine always gets quieter as it warms up. Until then, you want to avoid putting as much of a mechanical load on it as possible.

Reactions: NissanFrontierPro4x

·
Registered
197 Posts
I moved to synthetic at 3k miles like you're thinking. Totally not necessary but good for my peace of mind. I have a great mechanic (I don't wrench myself). Get the rear diff breather mod done! You'll be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the input. I am looking into protecting the undercarriage from the midatlantic salty winters that it will get exposed to. I may think about seat covers but that puts another layer between my wife's butt and the heated seat...not a good thing...happy wife happy life type of thing. Not sure if anyone noticed any reduction in butt heat lol. If they look good and protect the seat I may be game. Seems like in so many of my previous cars there seems to be things like if I only did this or that it would have avoided this breaking down...sometimes fairly oddball things.Thanks again :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts