Nissan Frontier Forum banner

101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
584 Posts
I know I'll get flamed for this, but they do make coil spring spacers sold at autozone and such that you can place in between the front coils to help level. They are often frowned upon due to not letting spring perform its full stroke as designed, but they are cheap and fairly easy to install. Just a thought, take it or leave it. I just put on my asbestos underwear! FLAME ON! Lol
Don't worry men! Asbestos is brittle! Use fire arrows!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
A body shop may be able to add spacers to the body mounts to level things out, it may be cheaper than replacing springs and struts.

·
Premium Member
2019 Frontier SV 4X4 CC A/T 3" lift - Radflos, SPC ca, ADO +3leaf +shackles, Shrockworks skids
207 Posts
Sorry, but I think this might be a bad case of buyers remorse and group hysteria. We still don't have any meaningful measurement numbers from op. There is no way you would be able to notice a 1" slant side to side while driving down the road (which is usually slanted itself for drainage). The picture looks normal to me. The building in background is parallel with truck roof so without a laser level it would be extremely hard to tell any lean to truck.
My best opinion would be to get a digital torpedo level and stick it on the different hard parts of your truck to figure out which part is suspect. Like stick it on axle tube then tailgate to compare numbers then drivers upper control arm then passenger uca and compare those.
Even a level app for your phone might be handy to narrow it down.
Good luck and if all else fails, take the offer and be done with it.
Yeah, it's becoming a joke thread. Either get new suspension parts, or don't, or buy a different truck. Honestly. Definitely a case of buyers remorse here. Maybe if they live with it they'll join the fan club, or not...getting tired of this thread by now.

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
Always replace both leaf springs so you're starting fresh on both sides.

Again, if just one rear leaf spring has sagged more than the other, then the opposite front will be lifted = making the truck way off kilter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Just noticed If I park the car with the steering wheel turned to the left so the front tires turned to the left the lean dissapears..... Parked straight or wheel to the right it's there.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Just noticed If I park the car with the steering wheel turned to the left so the front tires turned to the left the lean dissapears..... Parked straight or wheel to the right it's there.
That's normal, known as the Ackerman Angle. Every vehicle does it.
Turning the front wheels causes one wheel to turn further than the other, as the inside wheel has a shorter distance (and sharper turn) to travel to complete the turn. This causes each side of the vehicle to rise or fall as the wheels turn. It's most noticeable when wheels are fully turned with vehicle parked. You will also notice the wheels are leaning to the side a bit when fully turned.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
That's normal, known as the Ackerman Angle.
Turning the front wheels causes one wheel to turn further than the other, as the inside wheel has a shorter distance to travel to complete the turn. This causes each side the vehicle to rise or fall as the wheels turn. It's most noticeable when wheels are fully turned with vehicle parked.
Ahhhh thank you! Damn was hoping that would narrow down a culprit. I'd really like to keep it as the truck market is a joke right now.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Ahhhh thank you! Damn was hoping that would narrow down a culprit. I'd really like to keep it as the truck market is a joke right now.
Go to lowes, get a few 50lb bags of play sand and store them on whatever side of the bed you need to balance things off.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ahhhh thank you! Damn was hoping that would narrow down a culprit.
Looking at your pics, the box is sitting level over the rear wheels, so there is that.

If you really want to get to the bottom of this and it seems like you do - take some measurements from floor to frame. It has to be parked on a good level surface to do this, not just on a parking pad that looks level. All tires with equal pressure. Jounce it on all four corners and then start by taking the measurements on the four corners of the frame and report back.
I suspect that since the bed is level, that the truck drives and handles as it should, that is may not be suspension at all or if it is it was factored in on front end alignment, maybe at the factory. Do any of the tires show any uneven wear? Do all four look pretty identical? About how many miles do you think are on the tires, about half worn out, nearly new, or what condition are they in?

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me that the back is level but the front is not, unless there is a twist in the frame. If that were the case I think it would show up in uneven tire wear, poor handling, wearing of suspension components on one side, etc. It may be something as simple as spacers needed on one side, or removed from the other on your cab mounts. But let's rule out worn suspension components first. While you are under there taking the frame measurements take a good hard look at your cab mounts. Do they look the same right to left?

Just for sport, take a pic standing at the rear of the truck . Does the rear window have a pretty uniform spacing from the bottom of the window to the truck bed rail, or can you see that the spacing there is off? If you can, take that measurement on L&R sides by standing on the ground, not in the bed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well, those red ink measurements look awfully close to your tape measurement pics so I am not sure they were measuring the frame.
Looking at the red numbers, the front is off 1/4" L to R.
The rear is 1/4" off, L to R
There is no 1 1/2" out of whack that I see? You shouldn't compare LR to RF.
But if I can get to a level surface, I will take my measurements just for s&g...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Those measurements were taken on an alignment machine, which is dead nuts level.
Quarter inch high on driver side, which will level off perfectly once the driver is on board.
I swear you can see it when driving though even on straight non crowned roads you can see it going to the front right over the dash

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
I swear you can see it when driving though even on straight non crowned roads you can see it going to the front right over the dash
I'm sure you can see it, no one is saying you can't. I think at this point it's just one of those "live with it and let it go" type things. Like @RamTest said - based on your alignment shop's hard numbers, the moment you get into the driver's seat that should (by the numbers) flatten out; what your eyes are seeing might just be your eyes playing tricks on you. Remember: eyeballing stuff is as accurate as a butt dyno.

Just gonna repeat what I posted about a week ago:

Every vehicle will have some "lean." It's normally minimal, but definitely normal.
There is no way you can be 100% sure every single part in the suspension is still even left/right because you bought it used. It would have been safe to assume everything at minimal would have been straight if you just bought it brand new from the dealer lot, but you didn't. You don't know the entire history of the vehicle, and there are countless variables that can be causing that marginal 1/4":

Coil spring sag, shock damping condition, shock resistance, coil spring isolator condition, lower control arm bushing tension, upper control arm bushing tension, lower control arm bushing hardness, upper control arm bushing hardness, rear leaf spring stiffness, rear leaf spring sag, rear shock condition, sway bar straightness, swaybar bushing condition, swaybar bushing wear, ball joint tolerances, body mount condition, body mount compression, fuel tank level, driver weight, cargo weight, cargon weight bias, battery weight, body straightness, bed straightness, tire pressure, tire tread wear, alignment, axle straightness, ground level, ground crown, hood alignment...

You would have to chase and correct/verify ALL of those things (and more) until you identify the issue - if you will even find the actual problem after spending $$$ to correct or replace everything in that list. Until then you can tell us everyday that you can see some "lean" and anyone can chime in and tell you yet another variable that you have to correct first.

·
Registered
168 Posts
So yesterday I parked on what appears to be a level surface. My numbers, from lowest point of the wheel to fender lip read
LF - 28 1/4"
RF - 28 1/4"
LR - 29"
RR - 28 3/4"
These numbers were cab empty, 3/4 tank of gas. I would guess your numbers are ground up unless you have a lift kit on it?
When I am in the drivers seat going down the road - on the left I see that center portion of the hood and the hood contour to the lower section over the headlight and top of fender. Looking to the right I can only see the center portion of the hood, not the lower section or the fender. This may give the illusion of a lean?

To the OP - I don't think there is a problem with the truck. Early on do I recall that you were ready to sell this (or trade it) and take a loss? If that's still on the table, give me a call!

101 - 120 of 135 Posts