Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got a 2016 SV with 40k miles on it from a private seller. One old lady owner. No accidents. I noticed, even with a half tank, full tank, even when driving the truck leans to the right.(I can see it from the drivers seat over the hood). It drives totally straight I can let my hand off the wheel on highway for a few seconds and doesn't pull right at all but get out and it's noticable from the front AND from the rear.

I love the truck as I got a great deal on it as it had some cosmetic scuffs and scratches that she said she couldnt get out no matter how hard she tried(I polished them out with mcguires and they look perfect now) but now I'm a little concerned and weary.

I have read about the frontiers and titans leaning, some say due to the gas tank, some say it's a defect with springs or whatever other issues. So is this just how some frontiers are or is it actually a problem? I would hate to sell it and buy a new truck as the truck market is insane right now. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I have not seen this with any frontier or even heard of it, unless something is damaged! Check all tires for proper air pressure first! You may want to find a known flat level spot and measure all four fender wheel wells to be sure. Then if you are able to.. crawl under and check around.. look at the rear leaf springs carefully and see if you see any that are broken. Check for the sway bar connections up front, any of the shocks leaking or damaged in any way? If you’re not able to get underneath to check maybe take it to a mechanic to check for you.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
I’ve never heard of this issue before. You may be looking for a problem that isn’t one.

Clint

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve never heard of this issue before. You may be looking for a problem that isn’t one.

Clint

if you use the search function here there is a few posts of people talking about it?

this is just one i found there is a few

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
if you use the search function here there is a few posts of people talking about it?

this is just one i found there is a few
I’m on here daily for 14 years, not sure how I don’t recall it being discussed. I did have the same leaf crack on both sides of my 2010 Frontier. A lean doesn’t mean doom, my 62 Corvette had one and it was a body mount adjustment and all was fine again.

Clint

·
Registered
278 Posts
Get a tape measure and find out with numbers if it’s leaning. If not...
Ive personally heard of the taco lean but in my years I’ve never heard of frontier lean. Although I imagine to some extent every vehicle has some off balance

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
597 Posts
In general when it comes to vehicles and a lean, it means one of 2 things.
Components on the low side the vehicle are damaged, worn, or not set at the proper distance from center.

OR

Components of the high side are improperly aligned(and are somehow mounted closer to center).
(I've seen the latter on improperly repair commercial vehicles)

And do you notice any differences in the rear wheel well (like how far the tires are sticking in or out with both sides)
suspension components.

This sounds like a possible Friday afternoon truck, something may of gotten rushed in mounting the body to frame and
It could also be that some body/frame connections were not properly made, I found 2 different size screws for mounting the factory air dams (different length on each side). If person A on driver side was lazy or near the end of shift they may of rushed their job. While person B on the opposite side was doing their job properly.

Pictures will help to diagnose your poor Fronty's sickness.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Yeah I had a lean on a brand new ZR2 blazer, I knew with it that it was torsion bar related after crawling underneath and seeing the adjusting bolts way out of sinc. Adjusted, re-aligned and all good!

·
Registered
892 Posts
1st-Gens lean towards the passenger side. 2nd-Gens should not.

·
Registered
2017 SV CC LWB 4x4 auto
374 Posts
GM had a lean issue with first gen Colorado/Canyon. Had one. It was an over torqued leaf shackle. There was a TSB on them. I wonder if maybe this truck sat alot in the same spot with a slight angle. Over time the shackle bolts may have just seized a bit. Worth a shot to hit them with PB blaster and give them a spin.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Welcome aboard, glad to have you here.
A 2016 with only 40,000 miles. Drives straight. I am interested to know what the tape measure says. I have an old car in my garage, from the rear I would say it leans to one side. The tape measure says no - and it drives straight. So it may just be an optical illusion.

·
Registered
2017 SV CC LWB 4x4 auto
374 Posts
Welcome aboard, glad to have you here.
A 2016 with only 40,000 miles. Drives straight. I am interested to know what the tape measure says. I have an old car in my garage, from the rear I would say it leans to one side. The tape measure says no - and it drives straight. So it may just be an optical illusion.
Or his wallet is so thick with savings from buying a Frontier vs a Taco that his posture is off! 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
597 Posts
Or his wallet is so thick with savings from buying a Frontier vs a Taco that his posture is off! 🤣🤣🤣
HERE LET ME HELP YOU!
(takes wallet the size of a small child)

Also, never put your wallet in your rear pockets, it will negatively affect your posture/spine because of you sitting on it.
FACT!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Just got a 2016 SV with 40k miles on it from a private seller. One old lady owner. No accidents. I noticed, even with a half tank, full tank, even when driving the truck leans to the right.(I can see it from the drivers seat over the hood). It drives totally straight I can let my hand off the wheel on highway for a few seconds and doesn't pull right at all but get out and it's noticable from the front AND from the rear.

I love the truck as I got a great deal on it as it had some cosmetic scuffs and scratches that she said she couldnt get out no matter how hard she tried(I polished them out with mcguires and they look perfect now) but now I'm a little concerned and weary.

I have read about the frontiers and titans leaning, some say due to the gas tank, some say it's a defect with springs or whatever other issues. So is this just how some frontiers are or is it actually a problem? I would hate to sell it and buy a new truck as the truck market is insane right now. Thanks.
I've owned a 2017 and now have a 2019. My Uncle owns a 2020 - none of them lean. Maybe that one owner old lady drove the truck over a few too many curbs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had to go outside and look. My sons moved back home so I have a 2004 ,2011,2018 in my driveway and looking at them none of them lean to the right that I can tell by just eyeing them.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
I had to go outside and look. My sons moved back home so I have a 2004 ,2011,2018 in my driveway and looking at them none of them lean to the right that I can tell by just eyeing them.
Tilt your head, how about now? Haha

Clint

1 - 20 of 135 Posts