Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The handle no longer actuates anything inside the guts of the tailgate, so either my lock has failed when locked (I did lock it once this weekend, but have opened it since) or, as described in another thread, a small post on the backside of the handle has given up, and the handle acts as if it is locked no matter what.

I'm not super concerned. I'm sure tearing it apart will reveal the problem, it's just that I don't want to tear it apart without the fix waiting in line to happen. That being said...

I know many have added actuators to their tailgate lock to remote lock/unlock the tailgate, but has anyone just bypassed the handle and put a "popper" in the tailgate (you generally see these on old hot rods with shaved door handles, hit the remote and the door "pops" open an inch or two.)

I could see that working quite well with one of the tailgate struts that everyone uses so the thing doesn't slam...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do it right and you don't need a lock at all. The handle simply won't work.

*Edit* omg I could shave my tailgate!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I had this happen on a Dodge Dakota years ago. I was able to fix it by pulling the access panel and straightening a bent rod.

Your idea is an interesting one but you had better locate the switch somewhere hidden, so it doesn't get bumped and drop your load on the freeway! The toxic stuff you haul around for work could cause a major hazmat situation!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I had this happen on a Dodge Dakota years ago. I was able to fix it by pulling the access panel and straightening a bent rod.

Your idea is an interesting one but you had better locate the switch somewhere hidden, so it doesn't get bumped and drop your load on the freeway! The toxic stuff you haul around for work could cause a major hazmat situation!
Great. You sure know how to take the fun out of my day...hmm

You're right though. It couldn't be a pocket thing. I'd have to do a switch in the bedrail (more likely the cab, but that takes away the "oooooh" factor when I pop the tailgate from my pocket!) or something.

I could always run a tailgate net behind the tailgate. Technically I should anyway...

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Let me add that you had better make this work on both sides of the tailgate... since you like to crash and bash over stuff off road! It would need to be strong enough to take the major abuse you put your rig through!!

Now get out the trolling motor.......

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Let me add that you had better make this work on both sides of the tailgate... since you like to crash and bash over stuff off road! It would need to be strong enough to take the major abuse you put your rig through!!

Ain't been used in a couple seasons...

I'm also pretty sure the actuating rod is attached to both mechanisms on either side. It's pretty standard across all tailgates. If I actuated the rod it should transfer to both sides automatically.

I looked up a few threads and found a few pics of a partially disassembled tailgate. To really make this work I'd have to measure, cut, drill, fabricate, etc. It's a full on week project or more with my schedule. Wonder what a JY tailgate is gonna run me...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts