Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Did you disconnect your neg batt cable for the install?

·
Registered
53 Posts
My trip computer doesn't calculate mileage so I do at the pump every time I fill. I typically would average in the low 18s as far as MPG. Typically 18-18.2. The first four fills after install were 19.1, 18.7, 18.9, and most recently 18.5. The last tank I did get stuck in some crazy traffic one day so that may have had an impact. My driving is certainly not identical every tank, but always really similar. I have not seen 19mpg since I put my lift kit on. Between that and the auto trans hunting for gears much less often on hills, I feel it's worth every penny.

noticed better mileage? how so? just curious how you're measuring, how many tanks have you gotten since adding this spacer, what was your method of testing MPG?
please explain, thanks

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Ims

I definitely felt a torque increase with the IMS, it really helped with towing. And I thought it gave at least 1 more MPG. It's not going to hurt hp or tq that's for sure and you can do spark plug job easier with the IMS, don't have to remove intake.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So I got the IMS in and have put about 100-150 miles on in. My brother took a ride in the truck and he said that he definitely felt an increase in power. My MPG seems to have gone up about .5 MPG as most of my driving is city driving in a very hilly area so that extra torque must be doing something. Its hard to tell but it almost seems like the tone of my exhaust is a little deeper now as well. I have the Magnaflow catback system but it is still relatively new (~300 miles on it) so it might still be breaking in too. Even if its not doing too much much I'm still happy I put the thing in. I got to know my truck a little better and it was really easy. Its really hard not to blow my whole savings on this truck. I just want it to be built up already. Next step is to get some under armor but those hefty aluminum skid plates are not cheap :?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I don't want to be a crash on the party here, and by all means I have one of these IMS on my Fronty as well, but I am still surprised at some of the comments in the thread about people not finding any improvements in the higher revs. From the standpoint of an engineer, and basic engine facts, you all do realize you cannot make ANY more horsepower from your engine by any means short of increasing displacement or increasing compression. The only way you're getting more power is by more fuel to explode above each cylinder. That happens by loading more fuel in at a higher pressure, or increasing the size of the space for you to add fuel. All the whizzbangs you find on the market will get you nothing. Turbos and superchargers are increasing your compression, boring will increase displacements, but short of that, nada. What the IMS is doing for us is increasing the gap between the incoming air and bounce back air from the valves shutting in it's face, the end result is you are essentially just moving your power band DOWN a bit on the revs. This WORKS for us because our useful power band is something like 4-5k where we are wasting fuel, but we run our trucks primarily in the 1.5-2k rpm band, so that's where we want our power. Putting the IMS on our Fronty's is basically robbing that high RPM power and giving it to us where we normally use it, thus better mileage because we don't need to hit the throttle as hard for the response we want.

I know there are folks who can more eloquently state this here than me, but from the standpoint of an engineer, this is what we are doing to our engines, transferring the useful powerband, not increasing horsepower.

Caveat: yes making the fuel/air/exhaust move easier by things such as port polishing and replacing the restrictive Y pipe in our exhaust can result in gains of HP and torque, I am aware of that, but that's not what we're generally talking about when we are saying we want to increase HP. Those are efficiency gains that you just can't justify at the factory for the cost.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I don't want to be a crash on the party here, and by all means I have one of these IMS on my Fronty as well, but I am still surprised at some of the comments in the thread about people not finding any improvements in the higher revs. From the standpoint of an engineer, and basic engine facts, you all do realize you cannot make ANY more horsepower from your engine by any means short of increasing displacement or increasing compression. The only way you're getting more power is by more fuel to explode above each cylinder. That happens by loading more fuel in at a higher pressure, or increasing the size of the space for you to add fuel. All the whizzbangs you find on the market will get you nothing. Turbos and superchargers are increasing your compression, boring will increase displacements, but short of that, nada. What the IMS is doing for us is increasing the gap between the incoming air and bounce back air from the valves shutting in it's face, the end result is you are essentially just moving your power band DOWN a bit on the revs. This WORKS for us because our useful power band is something like 4-5k where we are wasting fuel, but we run our trucks primarily in the 1.5-2k rpm band, so that's where we want our power. Putting the IMS on our Fronty's is basically robbing that high RPM power and giving it to us where we normally use it, thus better mileage because we don't need to hit the throttle as hard for the response we want.

I know there are folks who can more eloquently state this here than me, but from the standpoint of an engineer, this is what we are doing to our engines, transferring the useful powerband, not increasing horsepower.

Caveat: yes making the fuel/air/exhaust move easier by things such as port polishing and replacing the restrictive Y pipe in our exhaust can result in gains of HP and torque, I am aware of that, but that's not what we're generally talking about when we are saying we want to increase HP. Those are efficiency gains that you just can't justify at the factory for the cost.
I agree with everything that you are saying. I did a lot of research before I bought the spacer and everything that i read is saying the same thing that you have stated here. I may have improperly stated what I was feeling. I feel more pep in the truck lower in the RPM range and it is nice because I never really hot rod around and max out the RPMs anyway. Its just nice to feel a little more power in the RPM range I use the most. :thumbup:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts