Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TL;DR I over torqued the fill plug and now have a leak.

Have you guys ever experienced this? I was hoping to put some plumbers tape on the plug and call it a day but I'm not sure how long that could last me for, if effective at all. I want to replace the cover anyway, but I was hoping to wait until some other things were done first.

Any advice? Is my diff at risk of damage? Am I dumb for trying to do this with an impact?

2010 Pro4-X

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
TL;DR I over torqued the fill plug and now have a leak.

Have you guys ever experienced this? I was hoping to put some plumbers tape on the plug and call it a day but I'm not sure how long that could last me for, if effective at all. I want to replace the cover anyway, but I was hoping to wait until some other things were done first.

Any advice? Is my diff at risk of damage? Am I dumb for trying to do this with an impact?

2010 Pro4-X
You can try the tape and see if that works. If not some thread sealant could work. Definitely hand torque no impact.

https://www.permatex.com/products/t...high-performance-thread-sealant/?locale=en_us

Reactions: ChillyGoose

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
No on done it before, yes on impact!😝 New covers aren't too expensive. I just got a finned aluminum titan cover from fleabay for mine. Think it was around $50-$75 with lubelocker gasket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the story with the impact is that when I looked at my plugs, neither were hex keys. I had a 1/2" breaker bar but no 1/4" driver on hand, but I had one for for the drill. Didn't take long to get the plugs loose, on removal I noticed a white substance in the threads I'm presuming was a sealant of some kind. Did a flush and fill, hand torqued the plugs to avoid cross-threading and finished it with the impact; I suppose I was overzealous.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Everyone wth some of this kinda life experience has been there buddy, and it's funny that everybody with making dumb mistakes kinda life experience would take a jab at it. Is the old-timer in the corner of the room a jerk, or is he the smartest guy in the room? LOL Anyways, I'd be surprised if it leaks much at all, and if it does there are a lot of options to fix it properly. Let everyone know if it seeps or if it leaks for real with a little something to fill the threads up around it. Then go from there. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
this, front or rear?
I drove like 1 year with my front diff leaking a lil and it did no damage ( although I’ve only used 4wd a handful of times)
Funny how a leak always looks worse than it is. One of these times I am going to be thinking this and realize that it isn't a small leak.
The front diff always spins even if you are not using 4wd.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Funny how a leak always looks worse than it is. One of these times I am going to be thinking this and realize that it isn't a small leak.
The front diff always spins even if you are not using 4wd.
yea I had spent like 4 hours replacing R180 front diff with a M205 from a titan and did not want to deal with the leak (which was I forgot to put thread sealant when I did the mini m205 rebuild), good thing its fine lol.

I know the front ring/pinion/spider gear spin even w/o 4wd but it does not get as hot right? or am I wrong, my thinking is it would run cooler so the leak shouldn't be too bad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts