Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's that time up here in Canada, so while the Hankook's are rated as Winter(ish) I'm planning on getting a set of dedicated snows and rims for my Pro4X. Of course the dealer is scrambling to see what they can come up with because the truck is so new. It seems like its either OEM Alloy rims and tires, which is really expensive, in 17", or they have a 16" aftermarket rim, which they suggested would be fine and is more reasonably priced.

Right now, it's probably aftermarket rims of some type, but I would be inclined to stay at 17" unless there's some reason I should not.

Just wondering what the rest of you are considering.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Going down in wheel diameter screws up your ODO and SPEEDO. It is also un-trucky as everyone wants to use bigger tires. The best solution is to buy 17 in. snow tires and swap them out with the street tires until the aftermarket catches up with the 22.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Maybe cheap used 2nd gen wheels?

I was hoping since they had moved to 17" wheels they upgraded the front brakes to larger ones. Since the lower models still come with 16s... i'm guessing that did not happen.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Going down in wheel diameter screws up your ODO and SPEEDO. It is also un-trucky as everyone wants to use bigger tires. The best solution is to buy 17 in. snow tires and swap them out with the street tires until the aftermarket catches up with the 22.
265/75 16s are the same outside diameter as 265/70 17s. Odo will be the same.

·
Registered
2021 Frontier SV CC 4x4; 2018 Frontier SV KC 4x2
240 Posts
Wheel diameter has nothing to do with odometer or speedometer readings. Tire diameter does. Doesn’t matter if it’s a 14” rim or a 22” rim, if the tire diameter is the same the speedometer & odometer will read the same.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Get a set of gen 2, 16" stock alloys. Get any 265/75r16 "studless snow" tire and go. I currently run Blizzak DMV2s and they are great. Haks are pretty good but I don't think they are worth the price. All modern studless tires are pretty good. Test show that the top contended vs the bottom all stop and accelerate a couple of percentage points apart.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. So if I'm following, I actually have a ton of options because the Gen 2s in 265/75r16 will have the same bolt pattern and diameter as my fancy new Gen 3 17's. It comes down to whether I want the aesthetics of the 17" OEM's but they are 650cdn each just for the rims here, which just feels painful, unless they look amazing.

·
Registered
2014 King cab S 2.5 litre 5 speed 2014 -2021, 2019 King cab S 2.5 litre 5 speed,1972 Datsun 620
11 Posts
Buy a set of 2nd gen 16's. My truck originally with 15's when I purchased had 17's. I don't know why. I have a set of 16's with 235 65 16 B F Goodrich Slalom's . Narrower than 265's but amazing in snow and ice.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Thanks guys. So if I'm following, I actually have a ton of options because the Gen 2s in 265/75r16 will have the same bolt pattern and diameter as my fancy new Gen 3 17's. It comes down to whether I want the aesthetics of the 17" OEM's but they are 650cdn each just for the rims here, which just feels painful, unless they look amazing.
($650x4)+($200x4)=$3400. That is a lot for aesthetics. Was traditional for people to run steelies for winter wheels cause they get trashed. I like factory alloys cause they do not rust. But will still wash them off seasonally or they will oxidize.

Looking on tire rack.com (though not the only source, it is a good gauge of the industry) right now, there isn't a single studless 265/75r16 tire available. You might want to check you tire suppliers to see what they can get right now. This time of year there is typically a run on winter tires. With the recent storm people start to scramble to get their winter sneakers set up. Supply chain issues this year might result in some tire shortages. Other websites show some Goodyears Winter command and Ultras, and various Nokians available.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
($650x4)+($200x4)=$3400. That is a lot for aesthetics. Was traditional for people to run steelies for winter wheels cause they get trashed. I like factory alloys cause they do not rust. But will still wash them off seasonally or they will oxidize.

Looking on tire rack.com (though not the only source, it is a good gauge of the industry) right now, there isn't a single studless 265/75r16 tire available. You might want to check you tire suppliers to see what they can get right now. This time of year there is typically a run on winter tires. With the recent storm people start to scramble to get their winter sneakers set up. Supply chain issues this year might result in some tire shortages. Other websites show some Goodyears Winter command and Ultras, and various Nokians available.
great point on availability.

i think it's a buy today kind of thing, so i shouldn't spend too much time agonizing over it :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just picked up a set of black 16" steel wheels off a Gen2 for $150 because I don't see the value in buying expensive rims to trash with winter driving.

I'd be cautious about running a 16" alloy. My 16" steel wheels are very close to the calipers and I'd be concerned, I'm not saying that it will be an issue but be aware.

·
Registered
549 Posts
A lot of Canadians use black steelies for their snow tires . Plain black rims. Who wants to put alloy wheels through salt that eats the coating and then turns the allow wheels crusty.

I run Duratracs on my factory S Steelit’s year round. And my truck is 4x2 and I live in a a snowy freeze thaw Province. But they love throwing around sand as well as salt and when a Duratracs has a bit of grit to work with they are awesome.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I should add that there are several Canadian equivalents to tire rack that are excellent. This time last year I bought a set of made in NS Michelin snow tires pre mounted on new black rim for my daughters Mazda. Their price was so good it was equivalent to getting the rims free. PMC if I recall.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
A lot of Canadians use black steelies for their snow tires . Plain black rims. Who wants to put alloy wheels through salt that eats the coating and then turns the allow wheels crusty.

I run Duratracs on my factory S Steelit’s year round. And my truck is 4x2 and I live in a a snowy freeze thaw Province. But they love throwing around sand as well as salt and when a Duratracs has a bit of grit to work with they are awesome.
You know if you wash your winter wheels after the season they won't get crusty. FIL never does and I always do. His alloys are so crusty they leak air at the beads. Mine look like new. Same with steel wheels.

·
Registered
549 Posts
You know if you wash your winter wheels after the season they won't get crusty. FIL never does and I always do. His alloys are so crusty they leak air at the beads. Mine look like new. Same with steel wheels.
It helps. It especially helps in a climate where winter is steady, rather than alternating between winter and spring.

In my case I have never allowed aluminum wheels to go through winter.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
All of my winters are stock alloys. I put my winters on in late Nov and take them off in May. Give them a good scrub before I store them. Both side with a brush. Get all the caked on salty dirt off. Only wash once a year. Works.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,369 Posts
OP - try checking for a used set of Frontier rims/tires. I found an almost new set of rims and tires years ago from a User here on the forum; the tires had maybe 1500km on them, the truck went off the road and got written-off. Of course, that made me wonder how well the tires actually were in the snow, but the accident was caused by a tree over the road on a snowy corner. lol. Anyways, they fellow had the receipt of $1800 rims and tires and I paid $650 shipped to me. The rims are aluminum alloy. Plasti-Dip'd them when the finish started looking rough, problem solved.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for all the input guys, this is great. I'll probably go steel now that i found that my local tire guys can get steel to fit the truck.
I believe what i'm hearing is that the bolt pattern is the same as 2021.

this means they can get me 17" rims. As it turns out, my F150, which my wife drives, has 265/70/17s as well, so if i stay in that size, i have multiple sets of snows kicking around that can, with a rim change, end up on either truck down the road, which makes sense for flexibility.

There are some deals around on snows, and while this wasn't a budgeting exercise, coming in around 1500-1600 for snows vs. about 4 grand certainly leaves some $$ for other truck toys.

And now I know what the numbers on the side of my tire mean, which has to be worth something. :)
I appreciate all the input. I'll look for the rubber that gets the best winter rating for stopping distance, because this is the number I'm most worried about.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,369 Posts
Those rims/tires I bought had studded Hankook RW11 snow tire in 265/70/17 and those were the best winter tires I have had to date. I travelled up the Coquihalla Hwy (one used on Highway Thru Hell TV show) with 2" of snow pack without no issues - I was passing cars and trucks that had spun out off the highway. Travelled back from Prince Rupert on icy roads doing the limit, without me knowing they were icy until I stopped for a 'relief break', no issues. I like having larger tires, so I went with 285s this time around, and the Hankooks were not available in that size with studs. Current tires are Toyo GSI-5 tires and they have been good in the snow, not as good on hard pack and ice without the studs, though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts