Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THEN: I was hauling my 10' footer cargo trailer between Oregon and Utah, ran into a few miles of steep backroads, rode the brakes a little bit and smoked them. (They were just about wore out anyways)

NOW: It is time for new brakes and I want to upgrade the stock brakes with a medium duty towing brake kit.

My Question: What is the best AMAZON kit to upgrade my stock brakes for somewhere around $400 in parts.

2008 Frontier V6 Auto

PLEASE Advise.

Thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
I recommend strongly against buying auto parts from Amazon. Reviews are fake and counterfeits abound on that website. I don't care how good the return policy is.

That said, I went with the Powerstop Z36 kit with rotors and pads, front and rear from Jegs, which can also be found at Summit and Rockauto, I believe. If I were you I would buy from any of the sites I mentioned.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
I recommend strongly against buying auto parts from Amazon. Reviews are fake and counterfeits abound on that website. I don't care how good the return policy is.

That said, I went with the Powerstop Z36 kit with rotors and pads, front and rear from Jegs, which can also be found at Summit and Rockauto, I believe. If I were you I would buy from any of the sites I mentioned.
^^ This. Fakes do indeed abound and brakes are the last place to save money, I just did pads on my wife's RAV4 and since she thinks the Baltimore Beltway is qualifying at the Nürburgring Nordschliefe, I went with Akebono super premiums. She smoked the last set in 31k miles.
If you have 17 or larger wheels, the Pathfinder v8 brake upgrade would probably be worth considering. I had a v6 Pathfinder ( 4.0L ) and put cross-drilled and slotted rotors with HD pads, and that thing'd haul down in a frighteningly short amount of space, given it's bulk. PowerStops are very good quality, but don;t buy from FleaBay or King Jeffrey of AmazonWorldLand. You never know if they are genuine.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Just checked, Jegs has the Z36 front & rear pads & rotors kit for $477. It is a kit that is specifically designed for trucks and towing. I have them on my truck for over a year and they have been great.

Summit and Rockauto also have the same kit. Rockauto has some lower-cost options from Powerstop which should also be pretty good, but this is the top-of-the-line kit and is an upgrade over the stock brakes.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I'm using Wagner Severe Duty semi-met pads paired to Raybestos Element3 coated rotors. Stopping is not an issue.
Total about $250 including the $25 parking brake shoes. Add tax + delivery from Rockauto.
Say $300 including the brake fluid you need for a FLUSH
and a six-pack of your favorite fluid for when you are done.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I would recommend RockAuto. I like the Raybestoes Element3 pads and rotors. But considering the age of your truck, I would also recommend new calipers and hoses. Once and done. I just did this to my 2007 Silverado. No rebuilt parts, all new. RockAuto recommends the Powerstop Z36 for towing and they have the complete kit, front and rear, calipers, rotors, pads, hardware for $660.99. Just add new hoses.

If you do decide to go with the calipers and hoses, let the old calipers hang from the hoses until the last minute, assemble the calipers with the pads and hoses and mount. Remove the master cylinder cap, suck out as much brake fluid as you can with a turkey baster or equivalent and refill with fresh brake fluid. Leave the cap off. Crack the bleeder valve a little and then disconnect the old hose from the hard line and connect the new on as quickly as possible. As soon as brake fluid starts coming out the bleeder valve, close it. Any trapped air will be at the top of the caliper and not in the brake lines.

Check and fill the master cylinder as needed, then do the next wheel. When done, you can gravity flush the brakes and then bleed as needed.

There are low cost power bleeders on Amazon, but make sure the one you get has an adapter that is specific to your truck and not some universal cap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts