Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have moved from AZ to CA. I go to get the smog check done on my car in order to transfer license plates...the smog check stations says that for some reason their computer cannot communicate with my truck (08 frontier v6). He says that he thinks the reasons is because it has been chipped. Is there any way for me to tell whether it has been chipped? The dealership where I purchased the truck from obviously did not say anything to me about it, or even if they knew about it themselves. Would having a chip cause problems for the car to communicate with the smog computer?

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
A Nissan dealer can tell if there is something on the OEM ECU, when did you buy the truck?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
March 13, 2009

thank you both for you quick replies!

I was unaware that it could not be smogged with the chip...it probably would not be a good idea but didnt think it would prohibit it from communicating?

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
that shop is just being lazy I've never had an issue getting a smog check with a tuned ECU.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've never had an issue with any chipped vehicles.. from my 1991 and 94 bmws to my friend's chevy and vw gti.

Never heard of anything like that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I went to another shop. I told the guy what happened and he asked what year my truck was. I told him 2008 and and he laughed and said that guy was a moron. He said your truck is too new to communicate with the smog station computer, he said that it was considered "CAN" (Controlled Area Network) and that it would not be able to communicate with the smog computer like an older vehicle would. He did not say what the cut off year was. I plugged in the scanner to my OBD port and confirmed what he told me. He showed me the scanner screen and it said Controlled Area Network. So he smogged my truck and it passed.

Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
OK, I went to another shop. I told the guy what happened and he asked what year my truck was. I told him 2008 and and he laughed and said that guy was a moron. He said your truck is too new to communicate with the smog station computer, he said that it was considered "CAN" (Controlled Area Network) and that it would not be able to communicate with the smog computer like an older vehicle would. He did not say what the cut off year was. I plugged in the scanner to my OBD port and confirmed what he told me. He showed me the scanner screen and it said Controlled Area Network. So he smogged my truck and it passed.

Thank you all for your help!
I was just about to say this!!
Here in NJ, private inspection stations are unable to do CAN compliant vehicles until the new software comes out this year (sometime in May)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts