Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a RWD 2002 2.4L Frontier. The steering for the past couple months has been getting progressively worse. If I hold the steering wheel dead straight, it seems that I can feel the truck slightly swaying side to side to side. Also I have the hold the steering wheel about 20 degrees counter clockwise to actually travel straight but I am assuming that is can be fixed by an alignment. One other issue is when I am going over a bump with the wheels turned significantly, I will hear a very loud metallic clunk as if something is hitting or binding.

I have gotten under the truck to try to pinpoint the play in the steering and I cannot find it. I have attempted to tighten the allen head on top of the steering box but it did not seem to change anything.

I was thinking I should possibly just replace everything with a kit like this and then get an alignment afterwards: Fits Nissan Frontier 2WD Front Suspension Control Arms And Ball Joints Assembly | eBay
If that seems like a good way to go, does anyone have any personal experience with these kits sold on ebay?

Thanks for any help!

·
Super Moderator
3,333 Posts
I would have a professional inspect the steering and suspension and access what the problem is. I agree that it could be in the steering box. When it comes to steering and suspension components, I prefer to go with Moog products from Rockauto.com. Quality of aftermarket components varies, but Moog is very consistent and usually the best on the market.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
When out of alignment, my truck would wander.

Thump while turning could be steering stop.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Swaying sounds like an idler arm or center link, and the grinding sound going over bumps while turned all the way sounds like the steering stoppers have worn down to the metal

But first I would do the easiest thing and lift the front end off the ground, check for any play in ball joints bushings or bearings,

also have someone turn the steering side to side while you watch inner and outer tie rods, center link, idler arm, and the shaft going into the steering gear box to look for play

replace whatever has play and go from there

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,205 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all the replies. I'm thinking the best thing to do at this point would be to take it to a shop and see what they say. I have just yet to find a reliable shop will actually diagnose the problem instead of just replacing parts until they fix the problem. I can replace parts myself, its the diagnosis that I have trouble with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts