Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Slop in Drivetrain?

9K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  invasion08 
#1 ·
2010 SE AT Crew w/ 6K miles. Since about 2000 miles, I've felt what feels like slop in the driveline. When I come to a stop and take off again, there's a bump that is easily reproduceable at each stop. I haven't worried about it too much, but it is annoying for a new vehicle. I had this problem with my wife's V8 4Runner, but that was solved by lubing or greasing the "propeller shaft". Any ideas on fixing this for my Fronty? Or, am I seeing the beginning of what could be a long and painful series of visits to the dealer, arguments, etc.....? Thanks!

#2 ·
My 2010 feels like it has slack in driveline also.When I take off from a stop it feels like the slack has to be taken up before it goes.I take off easy so I haven't felt a bump.Is this anything like yours?I have been wondering if there is something wrong or if this is normal.

#4 ·
my 2010 se cc 4x4 did the same thing. it feels like the drivers seat is loose when taking off from a stop. well i took my truck in for a clunking noise when coming to a stop. it turned out to be a bad rear end and the dealer replaced the rear axle. but before that, they replaced the rear drive shaft to see if it was making the noise and after the new drive shaft was installed the slack or thump i felt on take off was gone. everything is tite now. my truck started doing this at 4000mi.

#5 ·
If you have the utilitrack, don't forget to check the rubber covers in the bed tracks. They sound like a nasty driveline clunk, but its just the covers hitting the bed. Take them off and you'll see what I mean. I glued mine in place, and presto - noise gone....

#6 ·
Do you guys only get this during "wet pavement or wet weather conditions" .. or does it happen all the time. I had the same issue as you discribe, but narrowed it down to the rear discs acting funky in wet weather. I have no issues in dry sunny conditons.

d-mo

#10 ·
For some reason people don't do this, i don't get it. I turn it on once i hit 45.

#8 ·
I have the same issue, my just turned 1000 miles and I have been wondering about it the whole time. Nothing in the bed sliding (liner is solid). I can feel the rear catch up when stopping (even gently). I have tried letting off the brake so the nudges forward, but I don't feel the slack until I give it a little gas.

#9 ·
So, I'm not the only one. It seems like it almost goes away when it's raining out - wet roads. It truly is annoying. I drive with a very GENTLE go pedal foot. I never burn rubber or jackrabbit start. My wife's 4Runner - fix was "Lubing the propeller shaft". My Tacoma did the same thing - same fix. It really sucks, and I'm thinking of making an appointment to have it looked at. When I had my oil changed a couple of weeks ago, I had the tech grease every fitting on the driveshaft - no improvement. It does feel like there is something loose or there is a component in the drivetrain that has slop in it.

#12 ·
Mine has nothing to do with overdrive. You can feel it shift just as you come to a complete stop (thought that part might have been the rear brakes at first) and you feel it has you ease in to the gas on take off. If I am real gentle stopping I won't feel it, and as a result, I don't feel the corresponding shift when I take off. I think it is driveline slack. I haven't crawled under it, but it doesn't look like it has a regular u-joint at the rear, almost looks like a ball joint. I'll probably have a dealer drive it next time. They already did once to feel the vibration.

My 08 Manual didn't have these problems, but it did have a couple of tranny issues.

#13 ·
In case it helps anyone, the dealership fixed the slop in my driveline. Took them a while to find it. They replaced the driveshaft due to a faulty "slip joint". Feels so much better now.

Now to figure out what is causing that irritating popping noise in the back of the cab....

#17 · (Edited)
stop worrying and drive it.... people complain too much about the way these trucks operate. have you ever thought that its NORMAL and its the way the engineers design it....

i have 152,000 miles and have never complained or had a problem with the way the truck operates and its redlined a few or more times every day...

#18 ·
This is my second Frontier since my 08 got t-boned. It's hard not to compare the two. If you felt the slack that was on mine, it would have drove you nuts. Imagine having 4x8 sheet of would sliding forward and back a few inches in the back at every stop.

#21 ·
I think they are supposed to lock ~40mph. Sometimes I don't feel mine unlock until less than that. The auto is convenient, and feels peppier right off the line with the TC, but the manual felt like it handled better. Easier to control the rear when you have the direct connection.