Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 65,000 miles, I drained the ATM on my 2012 V6 crew cab. Transmission was not slipping before and now under heavy acceleration I am feeling a slight slip. Changed fluid to Valvoline Max ATM as others have recommended. Tried to get exact amount back in the ATM, dip stick shows level at top of checkered area both hot and cold.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
10,431 Posts
Drain it out and replace with Nissan fluid and see what happens. Most important is you do no permanent damage.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
That's odd. I have over 200,000 combined miles of use using Valvoline Maxlife ATF in my two R51 Pathfinders and have never had any issues. I also use it in my 2003 Frontier, as well.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Air bubble? Did you run the trans back n forth through all the gears?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Air bubble? Did you run the trans back n forth through all the gears?
This is exactly what happened to mine. I dropped the valve body just to check things out. Reinstalled everything and filled it up. Drove around for a bit and noticed slipping on the 2nd day of driving it. Came out the fluid was low.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, must have been an air bubble. Let it sit over the weekend backed it into the garage and then it showed low level of fluid. Topped it off and no issues.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Good thing you figured out it was a low level that was causing this before permanent damage was done.

Could of ended up like me and needed a new tranny cause some dipstick didn't fill it properly and ended up 2 qt low

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Could of ended up like me and needed a new tranny cause some dipstick didn't fill it properly and ended up 2 qt low
You didn't check/confirm the level yourself after an ATF service ??? Shame on you, and same after oil change, getting a new tire installed, etc.

I'm not saying you should crawl under and remove differential plug and checking level on stuff like that after a differential service, but I trust myself more than I trust Goober. Or Gomer.

·
Super Moderator
10,431 Posts
I went to a store for landscapers to buy their fertilizers and other supplies, they sell a one gallon (128 ounce) graduated plastic container for about $16. If I drain say a differential into a pan I then pour the pan into the pitcher to see what was in there so I have an idea how the level was for reference especially like when my axle seals were seeping I knew most of the gear oil was still there. On an auto trans drain and fill I count all of the fluid and if there are zero leaks what comes out is pretty much exactly what needs to go back.
My method does get me an accurate count and makes the change easier. One other thing I do is I bought a harbor freight suction gun for about $15 and on each pull will hold about 18 ounces, it was so easy to draw and install all fluids including doing my differentials, transfer case and manual trans, just draw the fluid, put the hose in the hole and push the plunger in.
Given that the manual has all the fluid capacities, whatever I collect can be compared to that number.
If I recall correctly a drain and fill on the auto trans is roughly 5 quarts.

Clint

Reactions: ef9

·
Registered
352 Posts
Good thing you figured out it was a low level that was causing this before permanent damage was done.

Just curious, how long have you driven it with low level of trans fluid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was down maybe 3/8 a quart and drove it about 30 miles before it "burped" and was able to take on more fluid.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You didn't check/confirm the level yourself after an ATF service ??? Shame on you, and same after oil change, getting a new tire installed, etc.

I'm not saying you should crawl under and remove differential plug and checking level on stuff like that after a differential service, but I trust myself more than I trust Goober. Or Gomer.
Why should i double check people's work when i pay for service? Whether its on the car or any other service in my life? Im paying for competent people to provide me a service so i don't need to worry about it

People who provide a service should know what the hell there doing/ BUT MOST DONT and which is way i do things myself cause this world is full of moron's.

But the one time i did pay to service my tranny, the end result was the same. It proves once again 98% of the world is full of moron's.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just curious, how long have you driven it with low level of trans fluid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drove it until the reverse started slipping. A couple months.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I watched a guy in a BMW M3 leave a jiffy lube, dropping his entire oil pans contents on the way. Guy kept driving, didn't even know!
In 3.5 yrs as a Toyota Luber, appx 4-6 tranny svcs a day. I never had a re-check on fluid, but I always cycled the trans through all the gears.
As a side note, sometimes the tailshaft seal would fail on the trans. This would pump the ATF into the transfer case. If the trans level drops all the sudden but no leaks are found, might want to pop the t-fer fill plug and make sure she aint topped up..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts