Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wondering if anyone has tried this... I have 33k miles on my factory BFG Long Trails, and am thinking this time next year (~likely 50k by then) they will be replaced.

Anyways, my speedo (and I'm assuming everyone else's as well) is off by about 7% fast (indicated 80mph actual 75). So, I'm wondering if anyone has switched to just one notch up either 275/70/16 or 265/75/16 to help compensate for this. I realize it may make the speedo a little slow, but I'd rather have it slow than fast.

I also realize I'll lose a little bit of acceleration but may pick up a touch of mileage. I'm fine with that as well. No towing for me.

Thoughts?

Oh and I'm fine with the long trails by the way. I'll likely stick with them either way.

Edit: 265/75/16's are common. 275/70/16's are not...

·
Registered
816 Posts
I went from 265-75-16s to 285-75-16s and I'm real close to actual now, but I really can't say if it would be the same for you. Post back your results.

Btw we used... time vs. mile markers w/speedo, radar speed indicators and an Actron scanner to gather data at 45, 55 and 65 mph.

GPS data varied a bit too much with both a Magellan Roadmate 1470 and Tom Tom XL340S, but the results were kind of close.

·
Premium Member
9,766 Posts
Most importantly is your warranty expires 7% too early. Can you imagine if you had a covered repair disqualified because you passed the end of the warranty too soon? My bad math says by 36,000 miles you'd lose 2,520 miles on bumper to bumper coverage and by 60,000 miles you'd lose 4,200 miles of coverage on the 5/60 powertrain coverage. So making it run slower rather than accurate is on your side, not to mention resale value.

Clint

****if,in fact my numbers are wrong please correct me.****

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Wondering if anyone has tried this... I have 33k miles on my factory BFG Long Trails, and am thinking this time next year (~likely 50k by then) they will be replaced.

Anyways, my speedo (and I'm assuming everyone else's as well) is off by about 7% fast (indicated 80mph actual 75). So, I'm wondering if anyone has switched to just one notch up either 275/70/16 or 265/75/16 to help compensate for this. I realize it may make the speedo a little slow, but I'd rather have it slow than fast.

I also realize I'll lose a little bit of acceleration but may pick up a touch of mileage. I'm fine with that as well. No towing for me.

Thoughts?

Oh and I'm fine with the long trails by the way. I'll likely stick with them either way.

Edit: 265/75/16's are common. 275/70/16's are not...
Figure out the overall diameter ratio old/new and you can use that for the change you'll see in observed miles/MPH. I was about 3% too high with the stock (225/70-15) on my truck and ended up at about 2% too low with the replacement 225/75-15s. You may notice less off the line power, but it is unlikely you'll see an improvement in MPG. Theoretically, you should, but maybe because of the extra weight (pay attention to the weigh of the replacements versus stock -- I picked up about 4# per tire) and possibly increased wind resistence (frontal area of tire and more air under the truck), I saw possibly 1MPG decrease (don't forget to take the altered odo reading into account when doing your MPG calculations). If you make the change, I'd be interested if you posted your results.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Just an FYI for the OP, 265/75 are stock on the Nismo editions. This topic has been discussed a bunch and the basic theory is that Nissan based the speedo off of the Nismo edition and everyone else just has to suffer. I was planning on the 75 series when I changed but the deal on the 70s was too good to pass up.

I do thou agree with others, having the speedo off screws up your warranty but it does help you when you think your speeding.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware the Nismo standard was 265/75's... guess that makes it pretty straightforward.

I'm basing my speedo measurements off GPS (Garmin) and those side road "YOUR SPEED" radar setups. Pretty confident in the combined accuracy.

Bigger problem now becomes that BFG's 70 series "Long Trail T/A (OEM)" and 75 series "Long Trail Touring" seem to be completely different tires. Seems like the Touring version is actually a newer tire and more street oriented (which is fine for me, I'm in pavement 99.5% of the time).

My T/A's have 33k on them and short of a little below freezing whine, I love them. Cheap, good enough, good treadlife and looks. I'd buy them again but the speedo issue bothers me.

Anyone have Long Trail Tourings? How are they compared to T/A's?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I can't comment on those BFG tires, but I went from the stock SE size to the stock Nismo size and my speedo is within 1 mph at 75mph according to my GPS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts