Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my last oil change, I noticed small metal flakes from my oil pan and oil filter. No gibber than my pinky nail, but not insignificant, either. My 2007 Frontier (118k miles) already has a slew of Frontier-related issues: 1. supercharger sound, which I assume is the worn out cam chain tensioner that i'm too frugal to fix. 2. Rattling noise when the truck starst up until warmed up. 3. Crap suspension. 4. oil leak. etc. I recently got totally taken by my mechanic to fix a misfire. He slapped my with a $1,700 bill for some new plugs, wires, and coils. Won't make that mistake again.

Yesterday my truck started dying, so I went ahead and got the cam chain sensor fixed, too. I should have never mentioned the metal in the oil becauser now they want to charge another $500 to take the oil pan and "see where the flakes are coming from". Seems like a waste of money, so I just went for the oil flush and figured I'll evaluate my options.

At this point which would be the most cost effective:

1. Sell the truck at a discounted price and make the buyer aware of metal flakes. Buy a car under warranty next time.
2. Get the current engine rebuilt (don't know what the cost of this would be)
3. Get a remanufactured engine installed (don't know what cost of this would be, either)

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I'm sort of in the same boat. Although I have 218k+ miles. No flakes of metal but I have about 2lbs of oil pressure at idle, multi cylinder misfire and something is wrong with the vvt on bank 1. A low mileage engine installed is about $4k. I plan to have a used engine installed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Unless you get the oil or flakes tested there is no real way to know. My guess is the cam chain tensioner is that worn, and as for the dying there is a recall on a main relay i cannot recall which one exactly

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The recall may not cover your serial # truck. It could also be the crank censor. That has gone bad on me 2x. Cheap part and about 1/2 hr-1 hr labor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. This truck is not under warranty.
2. My main concern is the metal flakes and the continuing expense of costly repairs vs. getting a new engine

Obviously something is wrong, and is gearing up for some sort of catastrophic failure which would warrant some sort of expensive action regardless. Just trying to figure out what to do next based on the information available or anyones past experiences with this.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
If you have the whine, the flakes could be from the plastic timing guides being totally gone and you are now running the chain on the metal hydro tensioners.

Could kill two birds with one stone and have these taken care of and solve the flake mystery at the same time.
Parts are not too bad for this job, its the labor that will kill you. Dealer will be around $1900 for parts and labor. I got mine done by a guy on Craigslist for $400 + ~$200 in parts.

Typically, the cheapest car is the one you already own. Fix a few things for $2k or so and keep driving for another 100k.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I heard that somebody on this forum recently put their fronty up for sale. You can speak with him. He titled his post with For Sale: .......... That is all that I can remember.

I hope that u get ur truck fixed bro or find a better and cheaper one. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts