Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I would post up a simple sleeping platform I built. I've always wanted a way to be able to sleep in the truck in case I didn't feel like setting up a tent when arriving at camp, whether arriving late and tired or due to bad weather. Now for some reason, there are not many examples of bed platforms here on clubfrontier (do a google image search for site:clubfrontier.org bed platform), but I did get lots of ideas from the tacoma (site:tacomaworld.com bed platform) forums.

My criteria for this project was simplicity, light weight, easy to remove, and inexpensive. I thought I could just take a couple of 2x6s and lay them across the bed , but I quickly found out that wouldn't work if you have the utilitracks. There is no way to insert a 2x6 of the correct length into the cutouts in the bed sides... somebody at Nissan must have been asleep that day.

Can't do this if you have utilitracks.

Anyway, enough rambling. The pictures should explain my design better.

Materials were bought from Osh Hardware and Home Depot. All lumber sizes are nominal.

4'x8' 3/4" plywood for the platform
6'x6' outdoor carpet
2"x6" attached to the utility track; about 4' per side, a little shorter on the driver's side to clear the gas filler tube bump
galvanized steel lumber joiner thingies to attach the 2x6s to the utilitracks
1"x10" common board for the main vertical supports
1"x2" furring strips used to horizontally locate the vertical supports from the 2x6s
1"x2" furring strips also used for the plywood to rest on

I got to use the platform on a recent trip and it worked pretty well. I had my tools, recovery gear, and camping stuff all under the platform. The left compartment contained my tent, hammock, tarp, hiking poles, etc. The right compartment contained my air compressor, jumper battery, recovery straps and shackles, saw, and shovel. And in the center I had tools and camping stuff in the plastic bins. I did notice the plywood tended to sag a bit when putting my weight on it so I'll need to come up with a way to support the middle. Hopefully someone finds this useful.

The tent next to the truck were used by a couple of friends.

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nicely done - looks like lots of planning/work.
It did feel like it took much longer than it should have. For the longest time, I couldn't figure out how I wanted to support the two main vertical pieces.. until I came up with the idea to use a 2x6 under the utilitrack. I did consider putting another vertical piece next to the bedside, but the bottom edges of the bed are rounded so that would have taken a lot more work to shape the wood. And that also would have taken up space. So far I like how it's turned out. And anybody can do it.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
It's good to keep your stuff out of sight. ;)

That looks great jbumx2, and that picture you posted from this location was simply breathtaking!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Nice work! Also keeps your stuff in the back out of site from wondering eyes.
Thanks! With the panels in place and the tailgate locked, its extremely difficult to lift the panels open.

Nice work! Also keeps your stuff in the back out of site from wondering eyes.
It's good to keep your stuff out of sight. ;)

That looks great jbumx2, and that picture you posted from this location was simply breathtaking!
Thanks! I got lucky on that shot.::grin::

·
Registered
549 Posts
That looks great, actually I'm going to use a couple of your ideas on my storage box. Are the top panels fastened down somehow or do they lay on top?

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Very very well done, looks super clean.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Excellent design and nice work putting it all together! I have a crew cab, so I'm trying to get the most out of the short box. I just purchased a canopy and plan on building something similar to sleep diagonally. Yes, making it work haha. Thanks for the inspiration 🙂(y)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm very impressed with your clever design. I have considered sleeping in the truck bed but the wheel wells do not have the width for my wife and myself. I think you have solved that problem for us. Thanks jbum!

As for the bending panels, you could use a 1 x 3 and glue it half way on the edge of each panel. The next panel would lay on the half sticking out. Basically battens on the bottom of the panels. I have used those inexpensive furring strips for many projects and found them to be superior to other woods in many ways, not just price.

Tt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any chance you have or could post the measurements/materials used? Thank you!
I'm sure the original post did state the listed materials, and the rough measurements you'd go off of. I recreated the platform based on the post and pictures myself and it turned out great. Really functional and works even as a 6 ft tall person in a 5 foot bed (diagonally). I will post the measurements and hardware that I used to help anyone else with a five foot bed since I don't think the user is active anymore. There were a lot of unanswered questions when I last checked and the post is pretty old..

I'll post those when I get a chance in the next day or so. ✌🏼

·
Registered
12 Posts
Blatantly copied this for my own build out and it came out great! One small modification I made was to drill finger holes in the side pieces of the platform so that they could easily be lifted from the flip open side windows on my topper. Unfortunately I totaled the truck last week but I was able to salvage the build out so it will find a new home in the next Frontier (because of course there is going to be one!).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts