Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm loving my frontier but I'm not sure if I have a problem or I'm just a rookie as this is my first pickup.

Here's the problem. Quite often when it's just raining I'm finding myself skidding alot. The conditions of the skid are, I'm turning the wheel and apply some... Not a lot of gas. It doesn't happen when I emergency brake or brake while turning. It happens most when I'm going slow.

Today I put it in 4wheel high as well to test that and from a static position with my staring wheel turned it wheel spins with a lightest touch on the gas.

Am I missing something? The more I turn the wheel... Full lock it doesn't do much but wheel spin.

When I brought it in October from a Nissan dealership as certified with the 179 point check the tires where shown to me as almost brand new hardly worn.

I've checked the tires and there's plenty of tread although they are road tires.

Frankie's specs are, 2016 SL crew cab 6ft bed v6

It skids even with over drive off

I'm planning on having Nissan have a look but thought I'd ask around first

Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
If by skidding you mean spinning the tires, a rear wheel drive vehicle with not a lot of weight over the drive wheels will be prone to spinning in a wet road situation. I had the same issue until I recently got new tires. The spinning was greatly reduced.

·
Registered
118 Posts
All normal. Tires may look new, but what kind are they? Might be some cheap tires with really hard tread and not much grip.

Overdrive will not change any thing at slower speeds.

No weight over the back, plus on a tight turn you take even more weight off the inside back wheel, means it's pretty easy to spin the tires. Plus, the v6 makes some good torque, so that just makes it easier. take it slow, this isn't the same as driving a fwd car.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Hi all

I'm loving my frontier but I'm not sure if I have a problem or I'm just a rookie as this is my first pickup.

Here's the problem. Quite often when it's just raining I'm finding myself skidding alot. The conditions of the skid are, I'm turning the wheel and apply some... Not a lot of gas. It doesn't happen when I emergency brake or brake while turning. It happens most when I'm going slow.

Today I put it in 4wheel high as well to test that and from a static position with my staring wheel turned it wheel spins with a lightest touch on the gas.

Am I missing something? The more I turn the wheel... Full lock it doesn't do much but wheel spin.

When I brought it in October from a Nissan dealership as certified with the 179 point check the tires where shown to me as almost brand new hardly worn.

I've checked the tires and there's plenty of tread although they are road tires.

Thanks
First important information needed is:

• what is the brand/model /size of the tires
  • what air pressure are you running

·
Registered
323 Posts
The torque curve is going to typically be much lower on a pickup. Meaning more torque/power lower in the RPM range. That coupled with little to no weight over the rear/drive tires means less traction. Slow down. Make sure your tire pressures are appropriate.

Also engaging 4 wheel drive locks the front and rear wheels together, on dry pavement with the front wheels turned, you will get wheel hop or skid as the drive train is trying to keep the front and rear wheels moving at the same speed.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
First important information needed is:

• what is the brand/model /size of the tires
  • what air pressure are you running
This.

X2 on the air pressure. If the dealer sent you out the door at 40 or 45psi (I have discount tire do that to me almost every time despite telling them 35/37 psi) that could cause less traction as well.

If the tires are the originals on the truck, depending on build date of your truck and build date of the tires, they could be 4 or even 5 years old and, they were possibly crap to begin with. I'd check the date code on the tires.

And, as stated, in the rain, without any weight in the bed, it is easier to get a tire to spin a little. You just need to remember you aren't driving a FWD car with the weight of the engine and transaxle over the drive wheels. But, I'd venture to guess you have overinflated old crap tires.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Also, it's a longbed so that moves the rear axle a lot farther away from where most of the truck weight is (unloaded bed).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi all

Thanks
my new 2019 king cab 4x4 4.0 does that - I have to watch not to goose it too much - ( been driving a wimpy 4 banger for too many years...!.) I'd say take it easy and get used to it for a bit. some weight back there would help also.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good tires are a truck owners best friend. Make sure PSI isn't maxed out and that you have plenty of tread. Also check what type of tires they are and what they are best rated for - alot of cheapo tires out there

·
Registered
37 Posts
pretty much. It's easy to forget there is at least one gen who have never driven rear wheel drive cars or had the pleasure of a blow out on the highway at 70, a bumper jack trying to kill you, or being stuck alone in a blizzard at night in the stx without a phone with a flat or an empty gas tank...you get what I mean..

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
pretty much. It's easy to forget there is at least one gen who have never driven rear wheel drive cars or had the pleasure of a blow out on the highway at 70, a bumper jack trying to kill you, or being stuck alone in a blizzard at night in the stx without a phone with a flat or an empty gas tank...you get what I mean..
so true... I still think it should have been mandatory to know how to drive a manual to get a driver's license. Hahaha

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'm amazed at the number of folks (many my age or even older <nearly dead>) that have never driven a manual shift vehicle. I miss 'em. Our shop truck at work (rarely driven) is a manual. If I drive that thing twice in a day (and it stays on property, distances of less than 1/4 mile), when I go to leave in the evening, my left foot is goin' for the invisible pedal. It's just so normal to wanna clutch & shove a lever around & feel it engage...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts