Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Frontier Crew Cab 4WD
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my skid plate (I think to change the oil?) not long after I got the truck. But when I went to put it back on, none of the bolts would grab. It seemed like they each have a loose nut inside the frame with nothing to keep it from spinning. (The ones that didn't already have the heads sheared off, that is.) I told myself I'd worry about it later. Well, it's later. Anybody had this issue or know of a good way to reinstall the skid plate? I'm sure I could rig something up if I need to, but the less trial-and-error, the better. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
If they're all broken off inside, you may have to use Rivnuts, which are basically rivets with a female bolt thread inside. You need an installer tool for them too, to expand and tighten them properly.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If they're all broken off inside, you may have to use Rivnuts, which are basically rivets with a female bolt thread inside. You need an installer tool for them too, to expand and tighten them properly.
That is a way to repair that. You dont need the tool. It is far easier with it but all you need is a way to pull the thread without spinning the nut. There are videos on how to do it like this one.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Reactions: Spyke438

·
Registered
2004 Frontier Crew Cab 4WD
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One or two of the heads sheared off, but the others, it seems like a nut up inside the hole is just spinning. I was wondering what exactly is in there, and how it's supposed to be connected. Is there a nut inside? Is it supposed to be welded? What do the bolts normally thread into? I can't see up in there. It just goes up into a small hole, and the threads don't grab. That being said, it seems like the Rivtnuts will probably be my best bet. I'll give that a try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts