Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a line on a guy willing to do a group buy on front/rad skid plate for 2nd gen Frontys. He's in BC Canada, so for all you Canucks who don't wanna get pounded on shipping and exchange rates this might be your chance. Or if any of the southern brethren wanna take advantage of a weak loonie you might be able to score a deal. After a preliminary chat it sounds like he's gonna base them off the Hefty design. I get the feeling he's a pretty small outfit so if there's lots of demand lead time might be kinda long, but I'm willing to wait to save shipping and exchange markup.

Just wanted to float this out to the community and gauge interest. Also if it saves me money I'm down to do some leg work.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Interested to see what you come up with...most of the USA companies don't want to deal with group buys due to production line delays for the group buy and other incoming orders.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i would be interested too. Keep us posted on further details. Thanks!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Depend on cost but I might be in? Where in BC are they located?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Depend on cost but I might be in? Where in BC are they located?

North Okanagan, Vernon I think. Their Facebook page doesn't specify beyond North Okanagan.

I was given a price of around $300 less if there's more people in on it. It would probably be an early spring time frame, as he's got some other projects on the go.

So far the guy has been pretty responsive and he seems keen to get his name our there. I get the impression he's just opened up shop.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BC local. Very interested.
Kelowna local too I see. I'm always down to get out and explore if you need a trail buddy. Don't wanna do anything too ambitious until I get my factory skid replaced, cuz it's more of a sail than a skid plate right bow.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I might be interested in a set for a cclb. Located in the USA so I'd need to know how all the shipping and payments work.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What all would these skids cover?

I've only chatted to him about the front skid cuz I dun goofed the factory one the first week I had the truck; but depending on build times there might be an option for more. Also depends on how long he's gonna need my truck for, to test fit everything. I can't be without for more than a couple days. If the snow ever stops around here, I'm gonna make up a trip out that way on my days off and get some more details. So far this is just a feeler, but considering the amount of interest I imagine we'll be proceeding sometime in the early spring.

Stay tuned everybody, I'll have real facts for y'all be the end of the week, hopefully.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright everyone. I have good news and bad news. Bad news first. The original shop I was talking to has gone dark on me. No response to emails, Facebook messages, and no call back from a voice mail I left; and I'm not gonna schlep out to Vernon to try to find this guys shop. I don't know if I scared him off, or what the deal is. But I want, at the very least, my rad skid replaced before the snow is gone; so, now the good (less bad?) news: I've reached out to some larger shops, not 4x4-specific shops around town. Hopefully there's enough of a slowdown in the oil and gas fields that someone will want some low volume production to keep the lights on for another month. I've even reached out to a couple fabricators in Vancouver who come highly recommended in the Jeep (ugh) world.

I've been inquiring about full sets, as well as just the rad skid cuz the interest seems to favour the full set, but I'll keep y'all on posted on what I can come with either way. Also; since we're still exploring options is there a preference for powder coated or bare steel? I'm leaning toward bare steel cuz a couple cans of Tremclad is cheaper, and faster than powder coat.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good news everyone!

I found a shop willing to do a production run for us. I was quoted a price of $150-$200CAD for just the rad skid, bare metal, 3/16th plate. We did talk about doing a full set, but they were pretty apprehensive about it tying up their shop for too long, which sucks but fair enough. For this price to to be viable, I'd need at least 3 more 100% committed buyers before we can pull the trigger. Once we have our numbers I can figure out payment, but I assume I'll just PM everyone contact info; but I'll leave it up to the shop for final say. If you're buying from below the 49, let me know and I'll find out what they would like to do for shipping.

·
Registered
88 Posts
any ideas for the design? are you trying to copy another or are you coming up with something different? Will there be an access panel for draining oil like some of the others have? Thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This one kinda fell by the wayside cuz I couldn't get enough interest, mostly because the interested shop wanted everything put in as one order; which would mean emailing an internet stranger a not insignificant amount of cash and hoping for the best. I think I'm pretty trustworthy, but I can see why people were apprehensive about the idea so I kinda just let it die.

·
Registered
88 Posts
understandable. if you do get this up and rolling again, please let me know. Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts