Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new so please be gentle with me i am from south australia and have been looking every where for anyone who has a turbo charged vq40de. I cant find much so i decided to do this on my own beast. So i have a turbo (powerspirit) which was sitting in a mates shed for a year or so which i was sick of stepping over everytime i visited him. A front mount trust intercooler. i have running a turbosmart 7.5psi ultragate external waste gate can go to 14psi with screamer pipe, a greedy bov. We hit a few small issues along the way there is no clutch fan now 2 thermos are running the cooling side of things there is no room for power steering pump so a standalone electric/hydraulic was used from an astra. heres the catch this all runs on the stock fuel pump stock injectors and stock ecu. Yep just bolt on and lets see how it goes. These frontiers/navaras dont have much room on the sides of the engine bay so we proceeded to cut each manifold pipe and turned them 180 degree's and rewelded them so they faced forward then made an elaborate x over pipe across the front of the motor to meet into a t3 turbo flange. time was a big killer everything was done out of work hours but still 6 month built time not too bad i think, top quality tools was no issue as i am a electrician who runs my own business. Things left to do is to install a piggy back ecu which i will be utilising the greedy e manage ultimate i have a lenovo solid state hard drive notebook dedicated for this which will sit in the car connected and logging all data as well as installing new 1000cc injectors and high flow fuel rails. It runs a 3 inch exhaust with one single magnaflow cannon the 4 cats have been deleted over here we are pretty lucky with 4wds and the police they dont look at you let alone really know what should be under the hood as long as u behave if u happen to see or be in the vecinity of them. With out the ecu and injectors installed currently the old girl will lay rubber in second gear when boost starts to build. Sort of think of it like a skyline in a 4x4 body the fun power plus the go anywhere i choose to attitude. The altinator runs straight to the crank pulley and thats the one short belt i use, no ac, no tensioners just a tiny short belt. Then the other bits i have done other than the motor and turbo is front and rear arb air lockers, 2.5 inch tough dog fully adjustable suspension, a fully customised nissan oem bull bar led spot and light bars. Duel batteries, single mass chrome moly fly wheel with ceramic cushion clutch all sitting on 285 75 16 cooper stt rubber just to get a little bit of traction when in 4wd in the mud. Once the ecu is in and dyno tuned (coming in the next few weeks) i am hoping to be putting close to 330kw at the treads but as it is this rubber mincer can keep up all day with ur standard ls1 v8 commodore (yep the 2 door gto we sent over from here a few years back (i had the pleasure working for gm and building these cars) this has no dramas pulling a few car lengths on them up to 170kmph then the old navara gets a bit on the loose side of trying to take flight bieng so high off the ground.
This goes to show nissan motors if built right are very nice work with. Oh i didnt happen to mention this 2007 frontier/navara D40 stx has 175,000kms on the motor and has done approximately 5000kms with the hairdryer attached whilst ironing out all the issues ie boost/vac leaks and cooling issues as the turbo is oil and water cooled plugs changed from irridium tip back to old school ngk's at $8 a plug. I have a video i can up load some how (as i said im new i have no idea how to do jack on the net.) or send to peeps via email of my friend driving it up and down my street he only gets into second gear but u can hear the turbo scream and see the speeds he hits in such a short time for a 4wd weighing close to 2.6tonn. So anyone out there who can point me in some direction with what else i need to do or has any criticism to send my way i am all ears. A kinnects stainless plenum is on the cards then building a new vq35de ground up with the best of the best is next years project to replace the vq40 that u cant get many aftermarket parts for like h beam rods or billet girdle everything is made for the 350/370z or Vr38dett skyline motor. Guess theres not much a market for the tradies duel cab to be boosted and be over powerfull. Stuff stillen superchargers i know thats going to get alot of u off side but for them u need to use power to produce power where as i am making power out of waste gas from my exhaust just my preferance and have no reason to start a whats better debate u stick with ur superchargers i just want to be different and keep going down the road of turbo charging because i am not a follower im always looking at doing what others havent. Or perhaps they have who knows i cant find any info anywhere.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Damn you really shoe horned that in there. Clean looking install, I'm jealous of your boost. Got any videos doing of it doing dumb ****?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not yet as its sitting at home whilst im up the coast on a family holiday. Its still early days with it so pushing the limits of the motor with out a profesional tune scares me that something may snap. Once tuned i have a few spots where i will take it and show off the 4x4 capabilities and a nice hill run where i intend to show its two wheel drive drift ability. But as the weather down this way is super cold and wet i may need to hold off just a few more weeks it would be too loose on the bitumen and brake traction constantly. Im suprised no ones said im stupid boosting a high comp engine and things will brake. That may well be the case but aslong as i dont brake my bank account what ever snaps i just replace with the best mobey can buy. So currently i am just babying it to work and back untill i can get time to drop the ecu in and get down the dyno tuners. More will come as the year progresses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts