Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a single 12" kicker sub & kicker amp. 150 rms sub & 200 rms amp bridged. It's not to bad, But i'm looking for something that does twice the power. I stereo gets really loud with mids & highs and bass is there but I want it where you can here me down the street lol. I'm thinking like a 300-400rms sub & amp that would match that. 12" sub, box, amp, amp kt try to stay within the $400. Best buy? online? Thanks

·
Registered
923 Posts
i personally think you should stay with kicker they are a great company just get one of there really high line subs like the compvx 12 its peak is 2000 and its rms is like 750 i think... that thing will KICK

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds expensive. They dont have to be that crazy. Least double what it does now. and within $400. Should I stop by best buy. I'm going to put it in. Thats easy.

·
Registered
923 Posts
they rnt that expensive they are in your range if you already have that box and what not i would go to best buy just to look i wouldnt buy anything from them and i know my bust buy dosnt have there subs on display wired so you cant hear them look at all your local stores see if they have displays that u can hear but buy online u can get them cheaper

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
ya am looking at fi to cant decide to get the q or that one u linked to.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This is what I curently have-

Loaded Single 12" Sub Enclosure Kicker Comp 12 W/ ZX200.2 Amplifier Kit

Will this be a noticeable upgrade (to rattle the truck)-

Amplified Kicker Vented Sub Box W/ 12" L5 Sub ZX350.4 Amp

I'm confused, the sub produces 600 rms (300rms each voice coil)

The amp produces 175 watts RMS x 2 in bridged mode (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)

Is that 350rms into the whole speaker?

Or that 350rms into each voice coil?

Because if its 175 per a coil that seems under power, but seems weird they would match that amp with the sub. There suppose to match it perfect.

What do you all think, seems a good buy? a lot more bass then what i have now?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
1. the sub does NOT produce power.
2. the 2nd link you posted is crap its still under powered. the amp only will put out 300 rms to the sub and the sub can handle 600rms

FI subs sound great and get really loud and that amp it i great match for it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
How about this match instead-

Kicker ZX550.2 ZX Amp Car Audio 1100 Watt 2-Channel Amplifier

Kicker VS12L5 Loaded Sub Box W/ L5 Subwoofer 4 Ohm

Sound Quest SQ1200 Car Audio Amp Amplifier 1200 Watt 4 Gauge Install Kit

Ported box & Square sub a decent choice?

or does someone else have a better idea. Trying to keep cost under $500. and fit it on one side of the extended cab with the seat flipped up. Seems to be a good match since the amp does 550 rms powering the sub & and the sub does 600 rms.

Thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You think this amp is better for that sub.

I'm confused because aren't you suppose to match the amp rms close as possible to the sub rms.

The sub does 600rms, & the amp i picked does 550 rms.

The amp in the link only does 325rms @ 4ohms which the sub is 4 ohms. Seem like it would be underpowered for the sub.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
You think this amp is better for that sub.

I'm confused because aren't you suppose to match the amp rms close as possible to the sub rms.

The sub does 600rms, & the amp i picked does 550 rms.

The amp in the link only does 325rms @ 4ohms which the sub is 4 ohms. Seem like it would be underpowered for the sub.
your correct. but you can get the L5 in a dual 4 ohm coil.
and the amo will do 650 @ 2 ohm

you know both of those are refurbished right?
and any reason you wana stick with kicker? imo, you can get better for cheaper.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well if i had the room i would do dual subs. I'm trying to get the most out of a 12" single sub with not going over $450. And the room i have is putting the box on one side of the extended cab where the flip up seat is so a deminsion of probably 20"x18" and amp in the middle or on the box. Ya i do know there refurbished.

What other combos would be better and cheaper?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry, meant to add this but got distracted.

Kicker VS12L5 Loaded Sub Box W/ L5 Subwoofer 2 Ohm
So you think that same sub/box I linked but in a 2 ohm & the mono amp instead of the amp i linked is better?

My door speakers i believe are 4 ohms. Does that matter. Or is it along as amp/sub have 2 ohms. Its seperate from the door speakers right?

And its ok to for the amp to have 50rms more then the speaker? Wont blow it just have to tune it right?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
50w wont hurt as long as you tune it correctly. yes, that setup with the 2ohm sub and that mono amp are just about perfect. door speakers and sub have nothing to do with each other. problem is your going to have WAY more bass than highs unless your running better speakers in your doors and there amped.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya i hear thats a real good setup and alot of bass. I do have upgraded door speakers running off my headunit but little afraid going overboard.

I been looking and looking. I want something thats noticeable lot more power but fits my setup.

I was looking at this-

Kicker Enclosure W/ 12" CVR12 Subwoofer

Kicker ZX400.1 ZX Amp Car Audio 800 Watt Class D Amplifier

Sound Quest SQ1200 Car Audio Amp Amplifier 1200 Watt 4 Gauge Install Kit

Sub is enclosed in a vent/port box instead of a sealed one that i have which think is better.

My sub does 150rms this one does 400rms @ 2 ohms

My amp does 200rms and this one does 400rms

And i believe a 4 guage amp kit work fine.

Seems like a good upgrade. Amp & sub match perfect far as power goes.

And it will only cost like $275 shipped.

What do you all think?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
should be fine but if you want the system to actually sound nice and balanced you will need to up your power to the door speakers. 60-75w would be a good match for that sub amp combo. my rule of thumb is power to the sub should be no less than 4-6x what the door speakers are getting.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright thanx. Ya my door speakers are like 35-40rms but i dont have bass to them at all so they get pretty damn high. Sounds like this is the best option. I'll probably sell my old amp/sub on here or to someone i know that looking for just little extra bass for like $100.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
you should still add am amp. your deck is putting out maybe 20w RMS. so find out what the RMS value is of the speakers you have and find an amp that matches. it will make a difference.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts