Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned 4 nissans. The first being the '92 model. Then the '11 -13 model for different reasons. Only the '11 was new. Now I own a 2017 Pro 4X and love it. i traded a 2016 taco that i hated. My question is... are the seats leather or leatherette?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Rich Corinthian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand how these forums work.. i do not intent to cause any issues whatsoever. I'm only trying to find info. I love my Artic Blue Nissan Pro-4X!!!!

·
Registered
2020 KC 4 x 2 S trim
12 Posts
The new engine is awesome, with the 9 speed auto it’s quick. I only wish my 2020 had the old key/remote like my 2019

·
Super Moderator
3,835 Posts
I've owned 4 nissans. The first being the '92 model. Then the '11 -13 model for different reasons. Only the '11 was new. Now I own a 2017 Pro 4X and love it. i traded a 2016 taco that i hated. My question is... are the seats leather or leatherette?
Looking at the current Frontiers at NissanUSA.com, they advertise the Pro4x seats as "leather." I would think that if it was a faux leather of some type, they would have to describe it as such rather than open themselves up to a false advertising lawsuit. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the Pro4x trim is the only one that has a leather interior, as they show cloth seats for the other trim levels.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I recommend Lexol products for your leather seats. They are available at any auto store or major grocery shop.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The new engine is awesome, with the 9 speed auto it’s quick. I only wish my 2020 had the old key/remote like my 2019
Its an illusion. 0-60 is the same as the older VQ 40 5 speed. Throttle response off the line might be quicker with the old port injection. The older 5 speed had more aggressive shifting whereas the newer 9 speed has more hesitation. I've watched many videos now with the 9 speed at full acceleration I can hear the difference in how it shifts. MPG's are really not much better. But top speed is a bit faster on the newer transmission. I don't think this 3.8 will offer enough torque/power at my mile high elevation. I've seen videos of the 3.8 struggling/gasping for air under full throttle at higher elevations. Just not enough low end torque here. It needs to scream over 6K rpms to get into its torque/HP band. Just not suitable for truck applications. At sea level I expect it to be less of an issue.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Most modern auto leathers are vinyl coated. I use 303 UV ptortective spray on the tires, and interior including the leather seats that have the vinyl coating. .303 has the best UV protection and is an excellent product. Can't find it at stores but is available online. Its really all you need for all the rubber surfaces on a car/truck.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Most modern auto leathers are vinyl coated. I use 303 UV ptortective spray on the tires, and interior including the leather seats that have the vinyl coating. .303 has the best UV protection and is an excellent product. Can't find it at stores but is available online. Its really all you need for all the rubber surfaces on a car/truck.
I do use 303 on everything else but, it is indeed an excellent product, but for the seats in my 14 Pro4 and my 92 Grand Prix, I use nothing but Lexol. 29 yr old Pontiac and all but the driver's seat literally look like brand new, and the driver's is only from major wear as it has 188k miles.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't think this 3.8 will offer enough torque/power at my mile high elevation. I've seen videos of the 3.8 struggling/gasping for air under full throttle at higher elevations. Just not enough low end torque here. It needs to scream over 6K rpms to get into its torque/HP band. Just not suitable for truck applications. At sea level I expect it to be less of an issue.
They will all hit near redline pulling a load if you are on the gas hard enough - Gen2 can hit 6k. The peak didn't move that far and without the curves to compare it is all speculation as to suitability. That said, others seem to think it pulls just fine. Notably the max is lower than other brands though.

Gasping... I can think of one review using that word but they said that for ALL NA engines at elevation. This does not speak to being for a truck application or not.

Where is the struggle here?
RPMs went up. Then came down. To maintain speed was not an issue and reviewer was pleased enough. Compare the RPMs to earlier Gen 2 Frontier and Gen 3 looks VERY suitable.

Is lower grunt better for pulling a load? Yes, but Frontier isn't the failure you make it out to be. Nobody will be at "max" often enough to matter and if it did there are better towing solutions that also exclude the Rangomacanyolines.

·
Registered
351 Posts
They will all hit near redline pulling a load if you are on the gas hard enough - Gen2 can hit 6k. The peak didn't move that far and without the curves to compare it is all speculation as to suitability. That said, others seem to think it pulls just fine. Notably the max is lower than other brands though.

Gasping... I can think of one review using that word but they said that for ALL NA engines at elevation. This does not speak to being for a truck application or not.

Where is the struggle here?
RPMs went up. Then came down. To maintain speed was not an issue and reviewer was pleased enough. Compare the RPMs to earlier Gen 2 Frontier and Gen 3 looks VERY suitable.

Is lower grunt better for pulling a load? Yes, but Frontier isn't the failure you make it out to be. Nobody will be at "max" often enough to matter and if it did there are better towing solutions that also exclude the Rangomacanyolines.
Except the next generation gm and ford will have 2.7 turbos pushing 350 to 400 lb of torque that's just a year or two off my point is this frontier na engine future proved? And yeah I live at higher elevation I'm not digging the fact that this engine hits the same amount of torque at 400 RPMs higher that's not cool. Not even remotely so. Now this is coming from a guy that owned a 5 cylinder 3.2 turbo diesel in Fiji (ranger) so I know about this stuff a little bit. I fully understand that this truck will pretty much keep up with the old vq40 but that's a 16-year-old truck man. I want more low end torque. My sales gal notified me that they have a few of these at the dealership she wants me to test drive them. She's a great salesperson I love to give her the business but I know what I'm expecting I want that grunt I want that off the line torque if it's not there this will be a showstopper for me. And yeah I think you're right there was only one guy that said this engine was gasping for air but there was a half a dozen that said that this does not do well at higher elevation when they had the event up in Utah the one that was sponsored by Nissan.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Definitely drive and decide - its your money! Before I make any decisions I'll be driving a Tacoma as well as others. I owe it to myself.

·
Super Moderator
11,520 Posts
I recommend Lexol products for your leather seats. They are available at any auto store or major grocery shop.
Interestingly I could not find it in south Florida in multiple stores, so I bought it and brought to Florida from NJ for the next winter.

Clint

·
Registered
351 Posts
Definitely drive and decide - its your money! Before I make any decisions I'll be driving a Tacoma as well as others. I owe it to myself.
Well I've already test drove two 2019 tacomas back in 19. The reason I test drove it a second time is because I could not believe Toyota would put out a trash transmission like that. Its a early shifting, gear searching, hard shifting that loves to kill torque. What really got me was when driving on the frontage road alongside I -25 which is level and the transmission keep working up and down. It could not hold a gear. That's what did it for me. Went back to the dealer and never looked back.

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Interestingly I could not find it in south Florida in multiple stores, so I bought it and brought to Florida from NJ for the next winter.

Clint
Do most leather-care products have a scent?
I'm asking cuz a buddy had used some kind of a product that made the whole cab smell like a Crayola crayon box - I kid you not! And yeah, IMO it was nasty enough that I'd rather not experience it ever again.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Do most leather-care products have a scent?
I'm asking cuz a buddy had used some kind of a product that made the whole cab smell like a Crayola crayon box - I kid you not! And yeah, IMO it was nasty enough that I'd rather not experience it ever again.
Lexol has a very slight scent but it disappears after it dries, a few minutes at most, after that, nothing. If it were stinkin up my car or cab, I would have dumped it yrs ago.

Reactions: shift_RUSH

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks!!! I’ll check it out. What I purchased was supposed to be top of line product, but I’m not pleased with it. I’ll give this try.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts