Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is convinced that she likes to be up off the ground (currently in an '03 Alitma) and I'm going back and forth between another Frontier and a Pathfinder. I've looked on-line, and didn't find any sites that are even close to the level of this site, so I'll ask here.

How similar/dissimilar are the two vehicles in drivetrain, ect? Any opinions?

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
in a lot of ways they are exactly the same, in others they are completely different. what are you looking to do with the vehicle specifically? do you feel like you will need an open bed to do whatever that is? do you plan to take it off the pavement? any towing? answer these and there will be better answers for you than what you have asked above

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hmm...

They have the same 4.0 engine, however the pathfinder is tuned a little different and gets an additional 5 hp or something.

Pfinder has an independant rear axle. Both have independant front.

Pfinder is only available in an Auto (I think)

Pfinder is available with the Titan V8 which also includes the stouter front axle.

Aside from other obvious differences I think that is about it.

Have you considered an Xterra? Hah! Now I gave you option C and will give you something more to think about :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
I ended up with a Frontier because we purchased an 06' Pathfinder and LOVED it!
The Pathfinder turns around on a dime (Compared to the Long Bed Frontier I have). Same copius amounts of power and ride comfort. A big feature that sold us on the Pathy over the 4-runner is a fold down 3rd row seat, better head room and the power plant.
Plus the convienience of the Pathfinder cabin has you luggage inside and we put a flip down video screen and dvd player in it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should have given more background.

I already have a '08 2wd CC Auto that I love. Our family car for trips is our '03 Altima. I drove for NoVA to Jersey (bout 4 hours) and there was a definite lack of comfort compared to my Altima for long trips.

If I were to get the PFinder, it probably would be 4WD 6cyl (don't think I can swing the $35k+ for the 8cyl). I won't have to do anything completely strenuous with the PFinder that my Frontier isn't already capable of. The Xterra is too small in the back for my family; we contemplated those when I got my Frontier.

It will be the family vehicle for the most part, but my wife wouldn't mind if I lifted/modded a little. She's always a fan of more watts at the very least.

The reason why I ask about similarities is so if I like something I do to my Frontier, it could be something I do the PFinder as well. Little if any off-roading, but it's not out of the question. Thanks for the replies so far!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
for long trips the pathfinder is the way to go, I had 3 adults plus myself in my frontier towing a boat from CT to NH and it was cramped with people stuff and things like that, the pathfinder has a little more room inside to have stuff and people. I would personally go with a new pathfinder myself

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
yea a pathfinder sounds like what you are looking for

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
It will be the family vehicle for the most part, but my wife wouldn't mind if I lifted/modded a little. She's always a fan of more watts at the very least.

The reason why I ask about similarities is so if I like something I do to my Frontier, it could be something I do the PFinder as well. Little if any off-roading, but it's not out of the question. Thanks for the replies so far!
Anything that you can do to the frontier's FRONT suspension can be done to the pathfinder's FRONT suspension. Engine mods should be identical, only difference between the 2 rigs (powertrain wise) is trans and diff gearings. Unless they changed from 2006 a 4x4 pathfinder will have 3.36 and a 4x2 pathfinder will have 3.13 gearing. Cosmetics should be double checked with manufactur, but i'm pretty sure the pathfinder has the same front bumper as the 05-08 frontier LE one-piece bumpers.

As for rear suspension, the pathfinder has an independant rear suspension where the frontier has a true truck rear suspension, with solid axle and leaf springs. You should be able to lift the rear susension with a shock spacer, like the ones that are sometimes used to lift the front suspension. I would do some research on how they lift Armadas and go from there. I'm not 100% sure but i wouldnt be surprised if the same lift techniques on an Armada could be used on a pathfinder too. dont forget the pathfinder would need a front and rear alignment.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 06 pathy with a 2in lift, bilstien in the front and ac coils in the rear, or you can call prg and he has a kit for it but its basically spacers, like they said the front suspension is like the frontiers and xterras, not too many options for the rear suspension though. Here is a link to my before and after and a pic of what it looks like now.

The Nissan Path :: View topic - 2in Lift UPDATED NOW WITH PICS

·
Registered
318 Posts
I debated it myself, except it was xTerra and Frontier.

I ended up with the Frontier because

A) It's cheaper, and I'm a cheap bastid.
B) There are some things that you want to haul away, and not have to worry about getting it off the interior.

With B), The knock against the SUV is that I'd have to get a trailer for that kind of stuff, and to be honest, I don't want or need a trailer, let alone want/need/have a place to put one.

SUV would have been nicer to haul my band equipment around in, but, when push comes to shove, I could always get a cap for the bed, no matter how retro fugly it looks. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,075 Posts
I own both. The Pathfinder is a great SUV. I'm giving my son the pathfinder next year and will buy another one to replace it.

Clint

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmm...

They have the same 4.0 engine, however the pathfinder is tuned a little different and gets an additional 5 hp or something.

Pfinder has an independant rear axle. Both have independant front.

Pfinder is only available in an Auto (I think)

Pfinder is available with the Titan V8 which also includes the stouter front axle.

Aside from other obvious differences I think that is about it.

Have you considered an Xterra? Hah! Now I gave you option C and will give you something more to think about :)
Hello -

Can anyone recommend a solid lift kit for my 06 pfinder LE ? Looking for a 4 inch lift kit front and back.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,510 Posts
Hello -

Can anyone recommend a solid lift kit for my 06 pfinder LE ? Looking for a 4 inch lift kit front and back.

Thanks!
Try: 4x4parts.com. They specialize in Nissan off-road parts and a lot of R51 and R50 owners at TheNissanPath.com use them for lift kits.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts