Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the silver paint on the plastic valence panel above the front bumper is a shade darker than the rest of my '10 CC. The mismatch is easily noticeable in the attached picture. Anybody else have this defect? And if so, did you try to get Nissan to fix it? Were you successful?

Attachments

· Registered
3,063 Posts
i agree plastic is hard to match steel. best way is you can blend into the fender to mellow it out but then thats more money that you maynot wanna spend.

· Registered
22 Posts
Every Frontier I've seen it like that regardless of color. Even my white shows a color variance. I talked to a painter friend of mine and he said it's because the metal and plastic hold heat at different rates and this causes the color variance. As the previous post stated, blending is the best way to hide this, however it looks like Nissan decided not to do this. I wouldn't worry about, they're all that way.

· Registered
40 Posts
I have the same 2010 model, color & options as you. I took a look my truck from many angles and the color of the front valance is slightly darker than the sheet metal that meets up with it. I've had the truck for nearly 7 months and noticed a very slight difference way back when but didn't worry about it. Considering how many things that could be wrong (but aren't) with my truck, this is small potatoes. BTW, what's with all the silver crew cab trucks in the background?

On a similar note, I have encountered a few minor blemishes/nicks in the paint and was going to buy some touchup paint. I had some touchup paint from my 2007 Ford Ranger (Silverbirch) and decided to see if it would match the Radiant Silver on my Frontier. Well, to my surprise (and delight) the paint matched exactly! I use a sable hair modeling brush to lightly dab the the area with the paint and the touchups look extremely good. I have to get within a few inches to even see where the touchup occurred. Needless to say I saved some $ on paint and (at the moment) have a relatively blemish free finish on my truck.

Regards - Mickiemac

· Registered
1,352 Posts
my night armor is the same.

· Registered
4,226 Posts
my truck had the same problem, at certain angles in the shade. i tell you no one will notice unless you point it out and the chrome bumper distracts the eyes as well. and also it may have something to do with the parking, look at the ridgeline on the other driveway, it's nose is darker than the body; take the truck somewhere else and preferably in an open space and then take the pics

for example look at my truck you can see that the same panel is darker than the fender but because the front end is out in the open, the sunlight kind of takes care of the blending so it's not really noticeable

but here in this image you can see the panel is considerably darker and that's because it is parked against the wall/garage and the angle of that panel is different from the fender

so in any case it is no biggie mostly just optical illusion

nice truck by the way and i love your rims....

· Registered
125 Posts
I had a similar issue not long ago. Actually days after purchasing my 09 it was nicked in a parking lot. Only a couple scratches on the plastic part and a couple on the chrome bumper. The bumper was replaced and front part painted. I noticed the colour difference and the body shop said it was the different materails as stated above but tried to fix it using computer colour matching. There is still some difference but not nearly as much as previously. I was lucky and the lady that hit me paid for everything.

· Registered
56 Posts
Paint that is to be applied on plastic/urethane parts requires a flex additive to improve adhesion and keep it from spiderwebbing under light impacts. Putting it in there does throw the color ratio off a tiny bit.

· Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the good discussion. I do believe that rather than an effect of the substrate (vinyl plastic) on the paint match, the real cause is that the plastic parts are painted separately from the body. Inadequate quality control of paint tint matching and also, to a lesser extent, the direction in which the paint is laid down (reflectivity of the metal flake particles is not constant with angle of lighting) is the real cause of the mismatch. I note that other manufacturer's seem to be able to more closely match the paint on plastic panels. My new Leer canopy with matching paint is almost perfectly matched. On the other hand, I doubt that Nissan USA will replace my bumper valence panel. So unless I hear from someone who has been able to get Nissan to fix their mismatch, I going to do what most of you have done... live with it! I must admit that if this is the worse defect on my truck, I have no grounds to bit*h! Cheers!

· Registered
882 Posts
I think the technical term is metamerizm (spelling???), if I remember right. It's a combination of variables, different lighting (natural,shade,artificial), and technique. As stated above, likely cause factory painted parts separately, paint was laid down in different directions/angles, and bad tinting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.