Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put on a nice set of steps. I don't really like the look of the OEM rails, so I've narrowed it down to the 2 I like the best so far and if anyone has used either one your opinions would be greatly appreciated. If you have another one you think I should check out I'd be interested in that too

The first rail is this Tyger star pattern:
The second is made by Lund https://www.realtruck.com/lund-terrain-hx-step-nerf-bars/34641678.html

Any and all feedback helps me out a lot, Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I like the Tyger ones better. They look more uniform and give you more stepping space

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the Tyger ones. They look cool and are pretty sturdy. I have noticed getting out of the truck is a pain. The door has to be wide open to step past the bars to the ground. This is annoying when parked next to someone in a parking lot. I have only had them 3 weeks so hoping I figure out a good way to get out. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Tyger ones. They look cool and are pretty sturdy. I have noticed getting out of the truck is a pain. The door has to be wide open to step past the bars to the ground. This is annoying when parked next to someone in a parking lot. I have only had them 3 weeks so hoping I figure out a good way to get out. Just my 2 cents.

about how far do the bars stick out? 1 foot or less?

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's the first time I've seen those Tyger ones - I may need to look into that myself... personally I prefer those over the Lund. That is subjective though and the best option is just to go with what you like.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I want to put on a nice set of steps. I don't really like the look of the OEM rails, so I've narrowed it down to the 2 I like the best so far and if anyone has used either one your opinions would be greatly appreciated. If you have another one you think I should check out I'd be interested in that too

The first rail is this Tyger star pattern: https://www.amazon.com/Tyger-Auto-TG-AM2N20158-2005-2017-2005-2012/dp/B01M0RZ22T
The second is made by Lund https://www.realtruck.com/lund-terrain-hx-step-nerf-bars/34641678.html

Any and all feedback helps me out a lot, Thanks in advance!
Have the Tyger ones on my Pro4, sturdy and for the most part mount easily, just minor adjustments.

20170626_171543_1498511744407_001_1498515720472.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would guess they stick out about 8 to 10 inches. I will get a measurement and some pics tomorrow. Like redbrawn07 said, install was easy, took me 20 min solo.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Have the Tyger ones on my Pro4, sturdy and for the most part mount easily, just minor adjustments.

View attachment 255450
they look really good. I think im leaning towards those myself. By minor adjustments, are you talking about the holes not lining up?

I also have Tyger

Sent from my iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro
I think im going to get those. They look really good on the frontiers, and from what I hear they're sturdy and easy to install

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Since the choices you have posted are really more like sliders, I'd suggest taking a closer look at White Knuckle Off Road. You can get them in DOM tubing with a partial or full top plate and the bump out works very well as a step to get to anything on the roof. The bump out is also great for protecting your body work off road.

Here is a link - Nissan Frontier Rock Sliders

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
they look really good. I think im leaning towards those myself. By minor adjustments, are you talking about the holes not lining up?

I think im going to get those. They look really good on the frontiers, and from what I hear they're sturdy and easy to install
Yea the mounting holes were slightly off on the center mounting point, just opened them up a small amount with a uni-bit and on they went. You may or may not be able to use the washers provided I had to get a few thinner stainless washers when I installed mine to make sure the attachment nuts had full thread engagement. Also if you order them from Amazon, be cautious, they sent me two sets for a Jeep Wrangler and I finally had to get them shipped from an alternative supplier through them to get the right set.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
sounds simple enough but we'll see what happens when I get them

Since the choices you have posted are really more like sliders, I'd suggest taking a closer look at White Knuckle Off Road. You can get them in DOM tubing with a partial or full top plate and the bump out works very well as a step to get to anything on the roof. The bump out is also great for protecting your body work off road.

Here is a link - Nissan Frontier Rock Sliders
they look great but may be just a little out of my price range. I will definitely keep them in mind though, they look like they are worth the extra few $$

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
sounds simple enough but we'll see what happens when I get them

they look great but may be just a little out of my price range. I will definitely keep them in mind though, they look like they are worth the extra few $$
It really comes out to are you looking for steps or rails... Steps that are mounted to the body are great for on-road use and LIGHT off-roading (fire roads and other moderately maintained surfaces) but if you're going offroad the protection a rail provides is night and day. Even a good, solid tube style step (like that tiger) will cause damage to the rocker mounting and eventually the rockers themselves. But this is under the presumption you are in the rough.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It really comes out to are you looking for steps or rails... Steps that are mounted to the body are great for on-road use and LIGHT off-roading (fire roads and other moderately maintained surfaces) but if you're going offroad the protection a rail provides is night and day. Even a good, solid tube style step (like that tiger) will cause damage to the rocker mounting and eventually the rockers themselves. But this is under the presumption you are in the rough.
I wont be taking it anywhere crazy, and my girlfriend is short so if/when I get a lift she wont be able to get in the truck too easily. I don't need much protection, but I really don't like the OEM running boards

1 - 17 of 17 Posts