Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about installing a Shrock front bumper on a pro4x. I seem to recall that cutting the bumper along the seam on the bumper is the way to go. Is it that easy...or should i measure three times and cut once. I just don't know fitment variations from truck to truck. Recommendations?

I did look through clubfrontier for similar questions an and couldn't find anything specific.

Thx.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Mine was broken so I had to order a new trim piece. Company sent me one for an 05-08 not 09+ (I have a 2010). I had to cut a ton to get the grill to fit. Truthfully mine doesn't sit well but the bumper looks so nice that nobody even notices. I do but not enough to order and paint a new piece!

Cutting with a dremmel was my tool of choice. Wear safety glasses as the plastic will get flung in your eye.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I have a question about installing a Shrock front bumper on a pro4x. I seem to recall that cutting the bumper along the seam on the bumper is the way to go. Is it that easy...or should i measure three times and cut once. I just don't know fitment variations from truck to truck. Recommendations?

I did look through clubfrontier for similar questions an and couldn't find anything specific.

Thx.
yes, it's "that easy" to cut along the seam. However you should always measure twice cut once. Nomad did a comprehensive writeup when he cut his bumper trim to fit a shrock on his '14 ProX. I believe its in his build thread.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've got a SV with the plastic bumper. If and when I go to a steel aftermarket bumper, I'm just going to order the upper portion that goes with the steel bumper frontiers. It was only like $150 or so the last time I checked online prices and you can find them cheaper at salvage yards.

You can re-sell the full plastic bumper or hold onto it in case you sell the truck and want to return it to stock. I don't like destroying things if I don't have to. Once you cut off that lower portion it's essentially useless from there on. Everyone does it differently.

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
I've got a SV with the plastic bumper. If and when I go to a steel aftermarket bumper, I'm just going to order the upper portion that goes with the steel bumper frontiers. It was only like $150 or so the last time I checked online prices and you can find them cheaper at salvage yards.
Not gonna work if you have an 2009+ ... the upper portion from the metal bumper style trucks won't just bolt on, it's not the same shape. ​The 2009+ models with the one-piece plastic bumper has a different shaped grille and the bumper sticks out further forward. There's another thread somewhere about swapping from plastic to metal bumpers that covers this more... basically you'll need the upper bumper valance, new grill, possibly change headlamps (I forgot if this was part of it). So if you have a 2009+ with 1-piece bumper and you're going aftermarket, either you cut your stock bumper cover or you swap all that out with pre-2009 front end.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not gonna work if you have an 2009+ ... the upper portion from the metal bumper style trucks won't just bolt on, it's not the same shape. ​The 2009+ models with the one-piece plastic bumper has a different shaped grille and the bumper sticks out further forward. There's another thread somewhere about swapping from plastic to metal bumpers that covers this more... basically you'll need the upper bumper valance, new grill, possibly change headlamps (I forgot if this was part of it). So if you have a 2009+ with 1-piece bumper and you're going aftermarket, either you cut your stock bumper cover or you swap all that out with pre-2009 front end.
So as I am interpreting your comment, when Nissan did the "facelift" to the Frontier in 2009, they only did it to the SV and Pro4x trims with the plastic front bumper? They kept the steel bumper version the same style as the pre 2009?

I just looked at a 2017 S trim and it appears to have a two piece bumper assembly, but instead of a steel lower bumper it is plastic, would that upper valance piece still not work? *Not being facetious.*

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nevermind, I may have answered my own question. I looked at the parts schematic on Nissan's Estore and the S grade '17 bumper is all one piece, the lower half is just painted black and looks like a two piece. I thought they continued the steel bumper version past 09.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nevermind, I may have answered my own question. I looked at the parts schematic on Nissan's Estore and the S grade '17 bumper is all one piece, the lower half is just painted black and looks like a two piece. I thought they continued the steel bumper version past 09.
They did make a face lift Frontier with a steel bumper. I believe that Jens frontier is an '09, facelifted with the larger grill, and a steel bumper.

Here are the pics I am looking at: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/1008480-post3.html

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
So as I am interpreting your comment, when Nissan did the "facelift" to the Frontier in 2009, they only did it to the SV and Pro4x trims with the plastic front bumper? They kept the steel bumper version the same style as the pre 2009?

I just looked at a 2017 S trim and it appears to have a two piece bumper assembly, but instead of a steel lower bumper it is plastic, would that upper valance piece still not work? *Not being facetious.*
1 piece plastic, half painted on the S.

They did make a face lift Frontier with a steel bumper. I believe that Jens frontier is an '09, facelifted with the larger grill, and a steel bumper.

Here are the pics I am looking at: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/1008480-post3.html
Good question... although if her truck is an '09, then technically it was manufactured in '08. Maybe she can add some input on this.

EDIT: Looks like the 2017 Crew Cab SL still has the steel bumper on Nissan USA website

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
I think I found it:

UPPER COVER - 2009-2016 NISSAN FRONTIER
Manufacturer: Nissan
Part Number: 62025-ZL00B
Part: Upper Cover
Part Notes: With chrome bumper, 2009-16.
List: $399.58

Most likely cheaper street.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Yes, the upper cover half is avail from '09+, just make sure you get the right one as the earlier model will not fit.
In my experience (and I've done it twice on '09+ rigs now) the cut ends up about 1/2" above the body line. Best tool to use if you end up cutting yours is a jigsaw with a plastic cutting blade. Best one I've found is a Skil blade called "The Ugly". It cuts plastic like butter and leaves a super clean cut line. There are detailed write-ups on it in both of my build threads I think.

EDIT: See pg 2 of the BBQ build in my sig for detailed write-up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thx all for the insights...all of the write ups have been invaluable during this project. I installed the rear bumper, sliders, and have been doing the front bumper this week. One question for you - the front bumpers have 4 holes and the bumper has 3 holes. So i guess i can mount high (holes 123 from top to bottom) or a little lower (holes 234). Or, is there a particular reason for this?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have no idea what you're talking about without pictures, or differentiating between stock and Shrock in your post, but I read somewhere it is body lift compatible, probably explains the mounting holes. Also, how long did it take for your front to come in? I ordered one this week.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To clarify: The SHROCK mounts have four holes in them (top to bottom). So you can mount the bumper hugh or low. Shrockworks got back to me: use the top 3 holes with a 2" lift. Use bottom 3 holes otherwise.

Delivery was a little less than they told me. I think it was about 8-10 weeks. Definitely worth the wait. For what it's worth, I had mine gear line-x'd too.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I think I found it:

UPPER COVER - 2009-2016 NISSAN FRONTIER
Manufacturer: Nissan
Part Number: 62025-ZL00B
Part: Upper Cover
Part Notes: With chrome bumper, 2009-16.
List: $399.58

Most likely cheaper street.
So this is a metal upper portion only? or is this the full plastic piece? My plastic bumper is totally trashed, been holding it on with duct tape for a while. Even though it will be protected behind a brush guard, I'd still rather have that upper bit be steel.

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
So this is a metal upper portion only? or is this the full plastic piece? My plastic bumper is totally trashed, been holding it on with duct tape for a while. Even though it will be protected behind a brush guard, I'd still rather have that upper bit be steel.
Not metal. Read the rest of the thread... we were talking about the trim panel below the headlamps and above the bumper.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
On my 2013 SV its all one big plastic piece from the grill/headlights on down. Got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of to put a plastic bumper on a truck.

So it sounds like I have to buy a new big stupid plastic piece and cut it in half, or are you saying this particular plastic piece is already trimmed to above where the bumper would be?

Either way, that's an expensive piece of plastic!

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
On my 2013 SV its all one big plastic piece from the grill/headlights on down. Got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of to put a plastic bumper on a truck.

So it sounds like I have to buy a new big stupid plastic piece and cut it in half, or are you saying this particular plastic piece is already trimmed to above where the bumper would be?

Either way, that's an expensive piece of plastic!
Why would you have to buy a new bumper cover? Did you even look up the part# I listed above? That part# is for the upper panel between the headlamps and the main bumper only. Average price for it is around $250ish, new and unpainted.

An alternative would be to try to find a junker 2009+ Frontier and hope the front end isn't smashed. Either way, pay to play - going with an aftermarket off-road bumper without that trim piece makes the truck look "incomplete"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts