Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing on the net for free Carfax reports. As I am on a tight budget right now, I cannot make additional purchases beside what I allotted for my car. Suddenly, I found this free vehicle history report provider. Not sure if legit. Should I trust it as a reference, or should I still opt for a paid service with an established reputation like Carfax or AutoCheck?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I tried it and it's just OK.

Mis ID'd my truck as a Pro4X.

Sales history was incomplete.

Carfax has more detailed and useful information.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
For the record, I actually bought my 1998 Frontier from a small independent car lot, had 100K miles. This lot had a contract with CarFax, showed me the report - which was real - but I could tell it was not accurate. So just be wary of whatever the report states. Insurance companies, dealers, maybe some body shops and independent shops provide information to CarFax.

Our 2005 Yukon has been to the dealer exactly once in the 9 years we've had it, for a sunroof that wouldn't close (dealer could not figure out or fix, finally refunded my $$$), but did try to tell me on "needs" list that I needed radiator hose replacement (even though I had just done that when I replaced the water pump, hoses still had Gates stickers and non-factory hose clamps, doubt anybody even lifted up the hood, likely went by CarFax).

My 2004 Frontier (mine since late 2011) has never been to a dealer or a shop, and my '98 Frontier has been to an independent shop for a clutch replacement, so no updated records for either of those.

So I'd say such reports have "some" value, but just use your own judgment.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know this is off the main topic. I learned when I bought a one year old used Frontier from a large local Nissan dealer that strongly pushes carfax reports. It can take a year for updates to show up on the reports. And, in my case, truck was probably bought by the dealer with damage from Avis, or whoever, then repaired. No insurance payout, no report!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts