Nissan Frontier Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
So, in theme of the OP, I was thinking...
Even used the Pro is $5Gs more expensive typically. Is that worth it?
ARB or other aftermarket locker - $1,100 or so, better than stock?
upgraded skid plates - About $1,000 again, much better than stock.
Shocks, few hundred?
Tires, they would have worn out by the time it is sold used.
heated seats, stickers, logos, vinyl or leather... I dont care.
Trans temp gauge - $80 for external filter and gauge.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Even used the Pro is $5Gs more expensive typically. Is that worth it?
I haven't priced pre-owned in a couple of years, but I suspect $5k is way overstating the price difference for comparably equipped trucks. My understanding is that in the real world the price difference is about $2k.

(On Nissan's site, for brand new trucks the SV CC Auto 4x4 with Value Truck Package is only $2,160 cheaper than the PRO-4X. You'd have to be comparing an SV without a VTP to a PRO-4X with a Premium Package to get over a $5k sticker difference.)

Now, you say you don't care about some of the goodies like heated seats you get in the PRO-4X and VTP. But the VTP has some genuinely useful stuff (like bed liner, Utilitrack, tow hitch). I get the impression that most people here think the contents of the VTP are worth what you pay. But if you don't want that stuff and want to build yourself a truck, starting with an SV is not a bad thing. Nissan themselves based their "Destination" Frontier show truck on an SV - though it seemed to be loaded up with options.

FYI that the PRO-4X has a different driver's seat, and comes with a stronger rear axle.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Used SV year 2010-2013 (15 if more miles) around $10,000. Pro, if you can find one, is $15,000 or more asking price. I do not know if they are getting what they are asking as I did not find enough to be able to track the prices. At any one point in time you might find zero Pro4x trucks, or might find two or three within 500 miles. I did not check Nissan's used site, didnt know they had one, but checked the 5 most popular listing sites.
The Pro seems to be priced similar to the Tacos which are way way overpriced for the rust bucket truck you get. I cut the price off at $13-15 depending on the site.

Yes, heavier axle, but I guess you could put a bigger axle inside the axle housing of an SV? or is it just the axle housing that is bigger? Again, consider the price on that vs the whole truck price difference used and then if you even need the heavier axle... For each it will be different.

I'm seeing Pro 4x owners ditch all their skid plates, for example, so what did they gain there? They paid for skid plates that were not good enough for what they do, then bought aftermarket ones.

I'm personally really only thinking in terms of the mechanical things (chassis, motor, trans, axles, cpu etc) and not the interior fabrics or whistles. Like I said, the locking diff is a biggie, but remedied easily with $1k which gives you better than stock locker - way under the price range diff (difference; pun intended)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, heavier axle, but I guess you could put a bigger axle inside the axle housing of an SV? or is it just the axle housing that is bigger? Again, consider the price on that vs the whole truck price difference used and then if you even need the heavier axle... For each it will be different.
The big disadvantage I'm noticing for the SV/non-Pro4X trucks is the limited aftermarket support for lockers. I thought long and hard before buying my SV instead of a Pro4X, but since I have no intention of getting back into rock crawling or any serious wheeling couldn't justify the cost difference. The Frontier is my daily driver, but needs to be capable of some mild to moderate wheeling, which the SV will more than handle. Once the flooring and bathroom remodel in the house is done I'll build my rockers and either fab up some skids, or pick up some Pro4X ones and mod them since I can't justify the cost or extra weight for 3/16" steel for my needs. Maybe I can win the lottery and buy a TIG so I can do it all out of aluminum.:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can’t remember if I already replied to this thread, and it looks like you’ve already bought a truck anyway. Also, I think you’re comparing used numbers. When I bought my pro, it was only $1500 more than a similarly equipped SV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 45 of 45 Posts