Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just put brand new tires on my 18" Charcoal rims in August. They have 3k miles on them. I paid $800 for tires alone. Should I buy a used set of wheels with bad tires on it to put on truck before trading in? Is it worth it to just sell the wheels with good tires? Will it effect my trade in value ? I can get a pair of used wheels with tpms and pretty worn tires for 150

·
Super Moderator
10,430 Posts
Bad tires means the dealer will need to invest in the truck so yes it will affect your trade price.

Clint

·
Registered
557 Posts
imo, leave the new tires on the vehicle. Yes, old junk tires will reduce your trade in. Just ask yourself, if you were looking to purchase a used vehicle, would you like to see good tires on the vehicle or ones you know your going to have to replace in a very short time.

J711, in your OP you didn't state what vehicle the tires are on. Also why did you invest in tires if you are wanting to get rid of your vehicle so soon after the tire purchase?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Bad tires means the dealer will need to invest in the truck so yes it will affect your trade price.

Clint
Also, if you look at the KBB definitions next to their criteria for fair, good, excellent condition etc, the condition of the tires is included. For example I think that for excellent, the tires need to be "like new". A dealer will definitely factor in this cost when calculating how the deal works out for him.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you're talking trading in to a dealership and not private party sell then KBB is useless. Usually, most new car dealerships use the Black Book for the truck valuation and it is a low ball offer you will get... at least in my area. Getting them to budge regardless of new tires is hard since most are very serious about their bottom lines nowadays. Be ready to take your keys and walk.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
What is the model and age of the truck? Is the body perfect? What is the mileage? If it is old enough you may not get much for a trade in anyway. I know I traded and Olds Aurora sight unseen when I got my 2006. They offered me 3 grand, when I said I had a grand in tires that were 2 months old, the trade in value did not go up as they were just sending it to auction anyway. If you are not trading in at a Nissan dealer, they will likely auction an older model and the tires may not make a big difference.

But, unless you are getting another vehicle that the tires and wheels will fit on, don't expect to sell them for more than half of what you paid for them, so you are talking 250 bucks after the cost of the replacement wheels even if the trade in is not affected by the tire change. Is it really worth the work and the possibility of getting a lower trade price for that small an amount?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I removed my good tires and wheels from my Tacoma when I traded it in. I had spare wheels with worn tires and no tpms sensors. They didn't care as it was going to auction anyway. Sold the tires and rims for $600.

·
Registered
195 Posts
when i went in to trade my old GMC in they said if i were to put new tires on they would give me an additional 800 bucks on my trade in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts