Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
Heres the gist of the story. I went out of town for 4 days (Sunday through Wednesday) and I parked my 2013 Frontier (with the V6) out in front of the house on the street. My Dad started it and pulled it down a few feet to fit the trash cans behind it (On Sunday night) then shut it down. (Never warmed up) No one drove it again until I did on Wednesday. When I flew in on Wednesday morning I had to run a few errands. I started it and there was a little timing chain rattle, and a cloud of blue smoke that smelt like burning oil. It was gone in 3 seconds and the truck hasn't done it again since. I understand that the rattle is from 0 oil pressure but the smoke scared me. When the smoke appeared, the oil pressure was fine, and the rattling had gone away. I'm thinking this is just from a few days of the engine not running. I have 35,000 miles on it and baby the hell out of it! I have driven my Frontier everyday ever since I got home and this hasn't happened again and its been as smooth as butter. Am I crazy? Is this a common thing? My frontier was a pricey expense for me and it has been the best truck I've ever owned, but this scared me a tad!
Thanks!
-Hayden

·
Registered
652 Posts
Regarding the smoke, vehicles do this sometimes after a quick start and stop (moving the truck a few feet for the trash cans). I haven't heard about it in a Frontier before, but it is common among many vehicles. Essentially, too much fuel on the restart. It is sometimes referred to as the "car wash syndrome" (move the car a few feet out of the garage to wash it, then move it back in again, then next time it doesn't want to start easily). Are you sure it was blue smoke? Modern gasolines with all of the additives often smell strange on a cold start.

The rattle could have been caused by the rough start. Just check the oil level to be sure, and you're probably just fine.

Vic

·
Super Moderator
10,440 Posts
Yes it is very normal on a brief start up, my last 4 Frontiers and my Pathfinder have done it and current truck hasn't as I never did a quick start and move yet. I saw my friend freak when his Challenger did it and told him I bet you'll never see it happen again without the start, roll a few feet and shut off. It was just the extra oil loading up in the cylinders. The rattle has happened in all of my Frontiers including this new one.
Enjoy your truck, it's fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot guys! I figured it was fine, but I wanted to make sure. I love my truck so much! I hope you both had a great Christmas!
Thank you again!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Makes me miss my ZIKA proof 68 Chevy P/U. It burned a quart of oil for every 5 gallons of gas it drank. I wouldn't worry unless its drinking oil like my old POS Chev.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts