Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all...

i am shopping for a truck as a 3rd car for my family (1 kid, 14m/o) and i was looking at full size (titan) but i cant justify the 40k price... they are very nice though...

anyhow i notice the pro4x frontier is available with locking rear diff like its big brother...

how will the midsize (crew cab) be for hauling the family? can you fit 2 adults plus a slim carseat in the rear?... i know ill end up having to just go to a dealership and try it... but i figured someone has to have first hand experience...

thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,078 Posts
My kids grew up in my frontiers. They started at 2 and 5 years old in car and booster seats,starting in a 2000 crew cab and now four Frontiers later are 13 and 16 years old and are 5'' 4" and 5' 8" and still fit fine.
I did go to a dealer to test fit first so you'd be wise to do the same.
I did have one Titan in the mix and the kids looked little in the back seat!

Clint

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have a 1 1/2 and 4 1/2 year old. One in a car seat the other in a booster. They fit just fine. Both front seats are all the way back and they can sit comfortably. It should actually get better when they get out of car seats.

·
Registered
417 Posts
We fit 4 football players in a '00 crew cab when I was in high school. Sizes ranged from 5'10" to me at 6'3". I was in the back seat with the fronts 3/4 of the way back. It was a tight fit and I wouldn't want to ride like that for 3+ hours, but for young children or smaller adults, it will be fine.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
i haul a 3yo and 4yo every do with no problems. getting ready to be hauling a newborn to(well come summer) and dont for see any issues.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Buy a used Titan (4 years old) and take the difference and invest for your child's college.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Buy a used Titan (4 years old) and take the difference and invest for your child's college.
and then watch your cost savings go down the drain with the difference in fuel economy... (plus added maintenance costs)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Then buy a used Frontier and do the same with the difference. Too much money is wasted on new vehicles.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Then buy a used Frontier and do the same with the difference. Too much money is wasted on new vehicles.
There is some truth to that. I wouldn’t buy new if I were planning to trade the vehicle in within 2-4 years, but I got my truck with the intention of keeping it for the next 10-15 and since I plan to keep it for that long of a period of time, I wanted to be the one who broke her in. That crucial time for a vehicle where everything on it is getting broken in and used to the way that it is treated, If someone else was driving during this time period I might buy the car and expect a few things such as the motor and trans to wear out faster then they should since I drive the vehicle differently then the original owner. Not such a big deal if you plan to trade it in within a short time period but if you’re planning to keep the vehicle then IMO new is the better option. I think a lot more money is wasted by those who switch cars often whether they buy new or used, why do you need a different car every few years, buy something you love that you’re comfortable driving and keep it.

As for the Frontier being family friendly, in hind sight I wish I had gotten the Crew Cab since right after I got my truck it was hunny we’re pregnant followed by a face palm. The king cab dose not offer the LATCH system where as the crew dose however it is only on the passenger and driver side rear seats not the center so you will have to put your car seat on one side or the other same for forward facing seats that use the center latch for the harness. Don't know if you use the LATCH system but IMO it's awesome, if you don't the seat belts in the Frontiers are designed to lock for use with cars seats, you just pull them all the way out and then set them up and take the slack out and they are locked in place. Don’t know if this is a down side for you but I got the feeling you wanted to place an adult on either side with the car seat in the center. I have had two adults and two 6 y/o twins with booster seats in my king cab however so I think you’ll be fine with what you want to do.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
X2, I've never bought new. And I do plan on keeping this truck for a long time even if the first 30k miles were not driven by me. With modern machining technology I don't think the break-in period is a crucial as it was in the past.

Back on topic, I've taken trips ranging from 4-15 hours with 2 adults in the back (tallest being 6' 3"). I never heard any complaints about lack of room. One of the guys in the back did claim his colorado's back seat is more comfortable, which I said BS to.

·
Super Moderator
11,078 Posts
We fit 4 football players in a '00 crew cab when I was in high school. Sizes ranged from 5'10" to me at 6'3". I was in the back seat with the fronts 3/4 of the way back. It was a tight fit and I wouldn't want to ride like that for 3+ hours, but for young children or smaller adults, it will be fine.
The second generation Frontiers are larger than the prior generation. The newer ones are far better as far as comfort goes.

Clint

·
Registered
144 Posts
One of the guys in the back did claim his colorado's back seat is more comfortable, which I said BS to.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

He's just mad because his "truck" is a cramped pile of junk, buddy of mine had an 05 Colorado and thought it was the greatest thing in the world till the motor took a dump at 60K.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
I have a front facing childs seat in my CC, its a pretty big one too. Two adults can still easily fit in the back.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have 2 car seats in the back of mine without any problems. I had a rear facing one and a forward facing one without any problems. Now I have a booster seat and a forward facing one without problems. You can still fit a skinny adult between the two seats for a short drive or a larger child for a longer drive. My wife has a 2008 CR-V and has slightly more room between the car seats and front seats, but the kids prefer to ride in the truck. I had a GMC Yukon before this truck, there was more room in the back, but am glad to have better gas mileage and a smaller truck. I would definitely recommend the frontier without a doubt.

·
Registered
837 Posts
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

He's just mad because his "truck" is a cramped pile of junk, buddy of mine had an 05 Colorado and thought it was the greatest thing in the world till the motor took a dump at 60K.

Define "take a dump" hahaha, my friends 05 colorado is just over the 60 k mark and i'd love to tell them whats in store muaahahaha

·
Super Moderator
11,078 Posts
Define "take a dump" hahaha, my friends 05 colorado is just over the 60 k mark and i'd love to tell them whats in store muaahahaha
You're a nice friend! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Clint

1 - 20 of 27 Posts