Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is it gonna be to replace my shocks and struts on a 2006 Frontier XE. 2.5?

Thanks Sirkitrider

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
Rears will be very easy. 2 bolts and the shock is off.

The front is a little more involved. If you plan on reusing the springs then even more so.
Remove 3 nuts on top, one bolt on the bottom. pop the upper ball joint to separate upper control arm from the knuckle. If you have "loaded" shock/springs then simply replace.
If you are going to reuse the spring, them compress spring with spring compressor. Remove top hat nut. Replace insulators if necessary. Reinstall spring on new front shock.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
If you have the skills, tools , it's should be no problem.

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
I would go with a pair of Monroe 171102 Quick-struts at the front, $91 each at Rockauto.com. This way you don't have to worry about compressing the springs and you'll get everything new, plus a lifetime warranty. It makes the job a whole lot easier! In the rear, I would go with either the KYB Excel/GR-2 shock (direct OE replacement) or the KYB Gas-a-just (slightly better, monotube design).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used Bilstein shocks for rear & forget what kind of struts, probably Monroe Quick-struts . Got everything from Rockauto.com. My kids, 16 & 15 helped me, it was a great learning experience for them. Replaced both front hubs (2WD) while we did this too. Easy job.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Rears will be very easy. 2 bolts and the shock is off.

The front is a little more involved. If you plan on reusing the springs then even more so.
Remove 3 nuts on top, one bolt on the bottom. pop the upper ball joint to separate upper control arm from the knuckle. If you have "loaded" shock/springs then simply replace.
If you are going to reuse the spring, them compress spring with spring compressor. Remove top hat nut. Replace insulators if necessary. Reinstall spring on new front shock.
^ sums it up nicely.

Also - considering your truck is over 10 years old, you might need some PB Blaster and muscle to get the rear shock lower bolts loose. Front end should be easier, albeit with a few more steps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the parts ... Monroe all the way around ... quick struts for the front ... Monroe OEM replacements for da rear ... all from Rock Auto ... now I just need the time ... or just may take it to a trusted shop and pay them to install. I got tools, talent, but time???, so we'll see. I've done similar projects before ... I just don't have a good place to do the work either.

Thanks, Sirkitrider

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Got the parts ... Monroe all the way around ... quick struts for the front ... Monroe OEM replacements for da rear ... all from Rock Auto ... now I just need the time ... or just may take it to a trusted shop and pay them to install. I got tools, talent, but time???, so we'll see. I've done similar projects before ... I just don't have a good place to do the work either.

Thanks, Sirkitrider
You just need a socket set, flat floor and a decent jack, if you have the tools and the talent this should be easy ::grin::

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Struts/shocks installed ... but ...

Well, schedule dictated that I pay a shop to install my Monroe 171102 Quick-struts & Monroe OEM rear shocks. Also had a set of Michelins LTX A/S installed. MAJOR disappointment in ride quality.

Very little improvement! I LOVE my Frontier but DANG this thing rides like a log truck! I wasn't expecting miracles BUT I thought the investment would improve the rough riding Frontier a bit:-(

What else can I do/check to mitigate the harsh jarring when encountering anything bigger than a minor imperfection in road surface. Pot holes, rail road tracks, bridges seams are teeth rattling at almost any speed.

Any help or suggestions wound be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sirkitrider

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well, schedule dictated that I pay a shop to install my Monroe 171102 Quick-struts & Monroe OEM rear shocks. Also had a set of Michelins LTX A/S installed. MAJOR disappointment in ride quality.

Very little improvement! I LOVE my Frontier but DANG this thing rides like a log truck! I wasn't expecting miracles BUT I thought the investment would improve the rough riding Frontier a bit:-(

What else can I do/check to mitigate the harsh jarring when encountering anything bigger than a minor imperfection in road surface. Pot holes, rail road tracks, bridges seams are teeth rattling at almost any speed.

Thanks,
Sirkitrider
Well first thing I would do is check the PSI in your tires. A lot of places will put too much air in the tire. Should have around 38 PSI. Also what type of tires did you get? Are they an E load range tire? That will make the ride a bit more stiff as well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The shocks you installed are basically just OEM replacement so it won't change ride quality much, if you want better shocks look at going with something more expensive like a billstein 5100 up front and 5125 in the rear

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts

Thanks,
Sirkitrider
Tire pressure can affect ride quality. Make sure it's not too high.

One thing I did do on my truck that changed how it felt during daily driving was to remove the overly stiff front sway bar. This made the ride feel A LOT better. See these posts from my build thread:

(#221) OEM Front Sway Bar Removal
(#270) OEM Front Sway Bar Removal Notes

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well first thing I would do is check the PSI in your tires. A lot of places will put too much air in the tire. Should have around 38 PSI. Also what type of tires did you get? Are they an E load range tire? That will make the ride a bit more stiff as well.
Load range is D, tire pressure is now at 35. Installed at 38.

Thanks
Sirkitrider

The shocks you installed are basically just OEM replacement so it won't change ride quality much, if you want better shocks look at going with something more expensive like a billstein 5100 up front and 5125 in the rear

Well I don't wanna raise my 4 banger 2WD truck height:), and I figured replacing 112K OEM's with new OEM's would bring some improvement. That had been my experience with other vehicles in the past. Reckon I shoulda did more research:-(.

Thanks, Sirkitrider

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tire pressure can affect ride quality. Make sure it's not too high.

One thing I did do on my truck that changed how it felt during daily driving was to remove the overly stiff front sway bar. This made the ride feel A LOT better. See these posts from my build thread:

(#221) OEM Front Sway Bar Removal
(#270) OEM Front Sway Bar Removal Notes
well that's interesting:nerd: Dunno if I wanna go that route BUT something to think about. I does seem that a big swing is called for? Dunno IF that drastic is it?

Thanks, Sirkitrider

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Sorry to be so slow in responding ...

"a big swing" ... as in a big step ... something serious, major ... in terms of how to improve the suspension on my Frontier ... which I now have named BUMPY, which is apropos, except for when I hit a bump something more than 1 inch ... then I call it *&*^$%[email protected]#$.

LOVE the truck ... hating the pi$$ poor suspension Nissan put under the front end of theses things. This is my 4th Nissan pick up ... I don't recall the others riding this poorly:-(

Thanks fro your replies.

Sirkitrider

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Removing the front sway bar is a simple job that can be reversed if you don't like it. I found that daily ride comfort (and less road noise) improved because without the oversized front sway, you let each front wheel move independently. The only thing that changes when driving without a sway bar is (obviously by the wording) the truck will lean more when turning. But after driving for about a month without the sway, you get used to the vehicles dynamics and it will feel normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a 18 s man 4cy for work. Im gonna put a ladder rack on and would be putting 3-500 pds in bed daily. I was thinking I probably will have to put a better/stiffer rear shock. Any suggestions??

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
You might also be looking at better/more heavy duty leaf springs w/in a year or two. RideRite air bags are a worthy consideration as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts