Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I plan on replacing my sagging old leaf springs with some heavy-duty leafs from general spring (positive reviews, good price). I recently installed a snugtop shell so she's dragging *** a little bit. As I understand it, heavy-duty leafs will lift the rear end up approximately 2" from stock (bed unloaded). I imagine with the shell on I'd be looking at 1-1.5" higher from stock. Would it be reasonable to assume that I'd have to get new shocks that compensate for the lift provided by the new leafs? Or would OEM sized shocks be fine?
Hope everyone is staying healthy.
Thanks!

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you are buying from 4x4parts, message them, service is on point. I am messaging them right now for some parts and they reply within 12h. You could also call them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was planning on getting u-bolts from them to compensate for larger leafs. I decided to go with General Spring based on price, but I could be open to getting leafs from 4x4parts. They're just a bit more expensive.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Call GeneralspringsKC and ask them. They're very helpful.

W/ my ARE bed shell (175ish lbs) I got 1.5" of lift on my Gen 2 using the HD springs 2 yrs ago. Also, my original factory Tokico shocks worked perfectly fine...as do the Bilstein 5100s I swapped in one year after the leaf spring install.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Was planning on getting u-bolts from them to compensate for larger leafs. I decided to go with General Spring based on price, but I could be open to getting leafs from 4x4parts. They're just a bit more expensive.
What i was saying was, call the guys that sell you yours stuff not buy somewhere else. They know their products more than anyone else.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An update, you can lift the rear end of your vehicle up to around two inches on stock shocks. Hope this helps someone else in the future.

·
Registered
2000 frontier 2 wd
17 Posts
Hi all,
I plan on replacing my sagging old leaf springs with some heavy-duty leafs from general spring (positive reviews, good price). I recently installed a snugtop shell so she's dragging *** a little bit. As I understand it, heavy-duty leafs will lift the rear end up approximately 2" from stock (bed unloaded). I imagine with the shell on I'd be looking at 1-1.5" higher from stock. Would it be reasonable to assume that I'd have to get new shocks that compensate for the lift provided by the new leafs? Or would OEM sized shocks be fine?
Hope everyone is staying healthy.
Thanks!
one of the best things I ever did was a add-a-leaf from sway-away , I tried air shocks first that idea failed baddely .
The add a leaf is a single fat tapered leaf spring that does not attach on the ends (only clamps in the middle ) , it increases the load 200 pounds and adds 1/2" of bumper height , that may not be enough for you .
I have found all factory Nissan shocks garbage especially if you plan on carrying more weight I suggest buy some KYB shocks , bilsten and koni is a great shock but you are paying for the name

1 - 9 of 9 Posts