Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have recommendations for/against any particular shocks to replace stock shocks on a 2010 Frontier Pro 4X? I have to replace mine, the sooner the better. Just got new tires and I know at least the front shocks are bad, so I don't want to run the new tires too long on the old ones.

I'd guess the Bilstein 5100's are as close to stock replacement as possible. Just wondering if others have found anything else to be better or worse in a similar price range. I'm not changing anything else from stock (no lift), stock size tires, etc. I do actually do an awful lot of driving off-road.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Confused

So when I run my vehicle through the Rancho site, it looks like it shows that I need a strut for the front, and a shock for the rear. When I run my vehicle through the Bilstein site it shows a shock for front and rear. Can anyone verify whether a shock or strut is needed for the front? I'm probably going to have to make a decision tomorrow and right now I'm leaning towards the Bilstein 5100's. I considered the Rancho's on the back and Bilstein's on the front, just to try something different, but I've just had bad experiences with the sort of think like the adjustments on the Rancho's. As others have mentioned, I think the adjustment knobs will rust, break, or just gunk up very quickly with all the off-road driving I do, and it just seems like another point of failure that I don't really need.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I Believe technically The front is a "strut " as It has the spring loaded over the shock body, but they are called different things depending upon the website. Really they are pretty much the same. struts have springs mounted directly to the unit and shocks don't.

Depending upon the ranchos you were looking at, some of them come " loaded" with the spring already in place which makes install much easier since you dont have to swap the springs from your oem shocks/ struts. I have never run ranchos, but I had Bilstien 5100's on the front and 5125's on the rear of my titan and they were a huge improvement over stock. The were a little stiffer than stock but that helped reduce the body roll and front end diving when braking.they were well worth the money in my opinion and held up great to mild - medium off roading.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Technically what we have cannot be considered a strut to my knowledge because we have upper control arms. A strut would connect to the chassis rather than a UCA. We have coilover shocks (coilovers), which is a type of shock that has the spring mounted to it, similar to a strut but which mounts to a UCA rather than a chassis. But really how picky can we get, I'd guess that half or more of the people on here would say their truck has a V6 "MOTOR"....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
5100's ordered today

I ordered the 5100's. 4wheelparts currently has a 4pack deal for $311, and there are coupons available online for further discounts. Says they will call to confirm the fit, but the truck model is in the order and I also included the part numbers for front and rear, so hopefully I don't have any issues.

·
Registered
434 Posts
What cstone said is right. Vehicles with struts do not have UCA's. Now my 500 horse olds is all Motor cstone. No electric involved.::laugh::

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
But really how picky can we get, I'd guess that half or more of the people on here would say their truck has a V6 "MOTOR"....
Exactly...how picky should we be:

mo·tor
ˈmōtər
noun
a machine, especially one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts.
"hormones are the motor of the sexual functions"
adjective
adjective: motor
giving, imparting, or producing motion or action.
"demand is the principle motor force governing economic activity"
PHYSIOLOGY
relating to muscular movement or the nerves activating it.
"the motor functions of each hand"
BRITISH
driven by a motor.
of or relating to motor vehicles.
"a dominant figure in the world of motor sports"
verbinformal
verb: motor; 3rd person present: motors; past tense: motored; past participle: motored; gerund or present participle: motoring
travel in a motor vehicle, typically a car or a boat.
"we motored along a narrow road"

-------------

I, for one, will gladly motor along the road in my Nissan Frontier motor vehicle powered by the gutsy 4.0 litre gas motor. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Haha..... That why I said "I believe". I was afraid there was some technicality that I was overlooking. Thank you for the clarification.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
struts vs. shocks ....how confusing can it be?!

So I ended up getting a call from the shop and they said the truck has a strut not a shock on the front. Since the struts are more, it would be about $20 extra for each of the fronts. I called and found out that the part number for what the shop is calling a 'strut' is the same part number as the 'shock' that the Bilstein site says I need for the front, so they are just calling it something different. What's crazy is the difference between the two is so minimal and I can't see any reason whatsoever why one would be more expensive than the other. Nonsense, but what are you going to do. The price still ended up being less than I could get them anywhere else, as stores that had the front and rear very closer in price, had both more expensive than this place.

Hopefully that clears some of the shock/strut confusion up for anyone who has to go through the same thing.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Typically for a shop to call any coil spring over shock a strut, though it is not correct. A strut, named for the McPherson Strut suspension set up, takes sideways load and acts as one or more of the links in a typical linkage suspension. A shock only takes axial loads.

However the shop is correct in charging you more money as they have to remove and re install the spring.

This is a real PITA, and in truth is worth more than the mere $20 they are charging you.

If the shock was sitting next to the spring it would be a real easy job.

Why are you getting new shocks again?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
new shocks

At least on the front, the shocks have already gone. Both front tires wore terribly in a pattern where every other block is worn, and I can hear noise coming from both front shocks, especially during a slow bumpy turn in either direction. The shop just confirmed my suspcions that it was in fact the shocks and not something else in the suspension.

·
Registered
329 Posts
old i see but my new to me 2011 SV is my first nissan + always looking to learn. i mentioned on another post about alignment after having front shocks installed but seeing a vid its NOT a typical MacPherson strut + looking to be solid mounted with no adjustment needed!! the front shocks just look a bit longer + as noted more like a coilover, a good thing as they are cheaper but still with xtra labor to deal with the spring. all i know is my lo mile SV rides very good as it just turned 28,xxx miles. i put Bilsteins on my last truck + they firmed the ride a bit but were not harsh, a good everyday shock IMO

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Old Man Emu!!! FTW

1 - 14 of 14 Posts