Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of longer front shocks due to the lift shackles I installed, has anyone ever delt with the same problem? How much longer should the shocks be? 2 inches? 3 inches?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't need longer shocks just for that small of a lift.
When I go over a bump, say a speedbump, I can feel the shocks extend all the way and come to hard stop. The shocks are going all the way through the travel and coming to a stop at the end. That is why I have heard to use longer ones.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I am in need of longer front shocks due to the lift shackles I installed, has anyone ever delt with the same problem? How much longer should the shocks be? 2 inches? 3 inches?
You are making a conflicting statement. Front shocks needed for rear shackles? If you mean rear shocks, then OK, we're good. Get something that has 9-10" of travel and about 24" total length. I run Rancho 5116, 9-1/8" travel and 24" total length.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You are making a conflicting statement. Front shocks needed for rear shackles? If you mean rear shocks, then OK, we're good. Get something that has 9-10" of travel and about 24" total length. I run Rancho 5116, 9-1/8" travel and 24" total length.
Sorry, no I need the front shocks,they are too short they extend all the way when I go over a bump at a speed faster then stopped. I was just curious how much longer I should go in the front, I have the stock front length now.

I went with 3 inch lift shocks. It made a world of difference both on and off road
So you run a 3 inch longer shock in the front with just the lift shackles? They fit no problem and perform good?

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Your not making sence. If you added lift shackles unless you did a sas then you won't need longer shocks in the front you need them in the rear. But I would recomend a new shock/strut all the way around 24 inches in lenght total. Did you crank your t-bars at all?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your not making sence. If you added lift shackles unless you did a sas then you won't need longer shocks in the front you need them in the rear. But I would recomend a new shock/strut all the way around 24 inches in lenght total. Did you crank your t-bars at all?
Ya I cranked the torsion bars that is why I need the longer shocks in the front because the shocks extend all the way when I go over bumps because the front is higer then stock making sense now?

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Yea but you have to remember, shackles are used on leaf springs which are usually found on the rear of a truck and Tbars are used on the front of the truck. Your previous posts in this thread confused these two facts and thus, the people answering were confused.

Now, are you use it is your shocks limiting your front travel or are your A-arms hitting the bumpstops? If it is truely your shocks, then find what your fully compressed length is and what you want your fully exteneded length to be and order something that fits those dimensions.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i didn't crank m tbars when i was ifs, but you might just have extreme rebound up front from those bars being so twisted. i understand what you are saying, but the problem you describe is not typical.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i didn't crank m tbars when i was ifs, but you might just have extreme rebound up front from those bars being so twisted. i understand what you are saying, but the problem you describe is not typical.
Thanks for understanding what I am saying ha it is tough to describe and pretty uncommon, I know it is the shocks extreme rebound.
I want to go in the dirction of new shocks, I am just not sure how much longer to go
I heard the 3" lift shocks will work should I try thse?

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
the shocks don't cause the rebound, they only dampen. the tbars cause the rebound.
i wouldn't do 'lift' shocks with cranked tbars, i don't think the combo would work well.
a longer shock would work, but should you womp on the truck a little hard and you bottom out, you could damage your shocks before you hit the bumpstops.

furthermore, i'm not 100% convinced that what you are feeling is the shock reaching its limit. i don't think it would be as harsh as you describe, or at all.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
the shocks don't cause the rebound, they only dampen. the tbars cause the rebound.
i wouldn't do 'lift' shocks with cranked tbars, i don't think the combo would work well.
a longer shock would work, but should you womp on the truck a little hard and you bottom out, you could damage your shocks before you hit the bumpstops.

furthermore, i'm not 100% convinced that what you are feeling is the shock reaching its limit. i don't think it would be as harsh as you describe, or at all.
Ok that makes sense so what you are telling me is I am feeling the torrison bars when I feel the hard hit after a bump?

And if I do get a longer shock I see how damage could follow, but I think it would take some serious hits to damage.

No go with the lift shock?

How do I fix this is a longer shock isn't the answer?

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
look at your bump stops first and see if your hitting them, there should be 2 on the stock setup, one large one for the LCA and a smaller one for the Upper. if you see that you have been hitting them, de crank your t-bars, or go to a low profile bumpstops... i would also change out the shocks/struts to a longer version as well, you might not use the hole length but its better then chanceing blowing your shocks you have in there now because you dont have enough shaft length in them.... (hopefully that made sence)

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
you are telling me is I am feeling the torrison bars when I feel the hard hit after a bump?
i think it could be the jolt of the tbars, or possibly your bumpstops.
it could be your shocks topping out, but i'm reluctant to belive that stock tbars are able to produce such a rebound to be able to do that.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
i think it could be the jolt of the tbars, or possibly your bumpstops.
it could be your shocks topping out, but i'm reluctant to belive that stock tbars are able to produce such a rebound to be able to do that.
I haven't really looked at it that hard but my frist thought was the shocks topping out, it makes sense well to me anyway. I guess I will have to take some time to check it out. I still would like to think it is the shocks topping out.

look at your bump stops first and see if your hitting them, there should be 2 on the stock setup, one large one for the LCA and a smaller one for the Upper. if you see that you have been hitting them, de crank your t-bars, or go to a low profile bumpstops... i would also change out the shocks/struts to a longer version as well, you might not use the hole length but its better then chanceing blowing your shocks you have in there now because you dont have enough shaft length in them.... (hopefully that made sence)
Made perfect sense man thanks, I will check it out, I am looking into a larger shock for sure. I will look into the bumpstops as well.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Oh my God. Explain yourself at the beginning. Sorry for the rant but mentioning lift shackles was a complete diversion from your topic and problem.

If you cranked up your torsion bars what you are feeling is the upper control arms smacking the upper bumpstops. The stock shocks are designed for the stock amount of travel, which you have not altered. Changing shocks will not fix your problem. In fact, most offroading shocks have poor small-hit damping and the ride will suck even worse.

You can do one of three things. 1. Get aftermarket upper control arms, shocks, and new brake lines. 2. Get low-profile bumpstops and crank down a tad. 3. Stick with what you have and crank the front end back down until you have at least 1/2"-3/4" between the upper control arm and the bumpstops.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh my God. Explain yourself at the beginning. Sorry for the rant but mentioning lift shackles was a complete diversion from your topic and problem.

If you cranked up your torsion bars what you are feeling is the upper control arms smacking the upper bumpstops. The stock shocks are designed for the stock amount of travel, which you have not altered. Changing shocks will not fix your problem. In fact, most offroading shocks have poor small-hit damping and the ride will suck even worse.

You can do one of three things. 1. Get aftermarket upper control arms, shocks, and new brake lines. 2. Get low-profile bumpstops and crank down a tad. 3. Stick with what you have and crank the front end back down until you have at least 1/2"-3/4" between the upper control arm and the bumpstops.
I want the bumping to stop for sure, but I do not want it raked in the front. It is that way and its stupis I hate. I really really don't want to crank them back down... Lower profile bumpstops are an option easy to switch out?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts