Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone know what the extended free length (upper seat to eye) of the following are:

- Bilstein OEM shock
- Bilstein 5100 shock
- base suspension OEM shock (15.56 in. extended length; 10.99 in. compressed length)

I am trying to figure out the longest shock that can be used and avoid coil bucket contact.

I suspect the magic length is a bit longer than the 5100, but haven't taken the truck apart to check the geometry yet.

The intent is to maintain pretty much stock extension from ride height, but go a bit higher with a replacement spring. No spacers.

-Z

·
Senior Moderator
4,558 Posts

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
To follow up on this post. I have been interseted in these vavlues as well from my searches I have found published number of the 5100 and the 4600 Bilstein shocks. I however am doubting the number that the OP listed for the OEM non Blistein Shock. It seems that the compressed number is very long.

- Bilstein 4600 shock. Compressed:10.55". Extended:15.08
- Bilstein 5100 shock. C=10.55. E=15.26"
- base suspension OEM shock (15.56 in. extended length; 10.99 in. compressed length)

I am under the assumption that the BLACK OEM shock has a compressed length that is shorter than 10.55". That is the reason why many spacer lift companies say their 2" spacer does not work with the NIsmo/Pro4x. Based on personal experience and PRGs, when you add a 2" spacer onto a nismo truck you will bottom out the shock on full compression of the suspension, thus the reason why PRG adds a taller bump stop to limit the amount of suspension travel. NO other company does this but notes: "WILL NOT FIT NISMO". What happens is that there is enough deflection in the shock top bumper and the lower mounting eye bushing, so the shock does not destroy itself. As a result however many of us have found that their lower shock eye bushing to be blown out prematurely.

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
I have now seen the 10.99 several times and think that it might in fact be correct. The rancho shock for our trucks even states 11". Scary. as this is a 10.55" compressed length with a 2" spacer. OEM bump stop the shock is bottomed out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts