Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier CC w 39 K miles. The road noise is getting consistently louder ... I have found flat spots on the inside tread of three out of four tires indicating " bad shocks " ? the ride is still smoth .. for now ! Do I need shocks and Tires ? What should I replace them with ...., I do minimal off road and want a smooth and relatively quiet ride but good towing traction . I have done some reading about Bilsteins 5150 but do I need that ?
Thanks ahead

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Okay, I think you are saying that you have flat spots on the inside thread of your tires, thus this means you have bad shocks? I am confused I guess.

If you are looking for one of the best shocks out there, most will recommend Bilsteins and then some kind of coilovers or shocks with attached resi.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Shocks will not cause uneven wearing on your tires as your shocks don't dictate tire orientation/alignment. I think you're mistaken with you're terms. I'll try to interpret what you mean.

If the wear is on the inside (towards the truck) of the tires only, then you're running too much negative camber or you take turns entirely too fast and your running too much positive caster. Get an alignment.

If your tire's are wearing thin in the middle(looking head on at the tire) then you're probably running your tires at too high of a pressure. Ballooning them out in the middle and causing uneven wear.

If by "flat spots" actual intermittent flattened portions of tread, this tells me you're entirely too hard on your brakes and/or your ABS system(or the brakes themselves) isn't working correctly causing one or more of your tire to lock up under heavy braking, wearing in those "flat spots". Do you feel/hear any 'scrubbing' under moderate braking? Check you're brakes and bleed them. Air in the lines may be unevenly distributing braking forces. Also ensure no dash lights are on.

As for 3 of the 4 tire's showing the flat spots on a aprticular portion of the tread, this doesn't make sense as at least one of those tire is on the rear axle. Being a live axle truck the rear tires don't have any variation's in camber so the rears should wear relatively evenly. It might be possible you recently rotated your tires, in which case all bets are off.

Only other scenario I can think of is if you're slinging and sliding your truck around causing portions of the tread to melt/break off, or locking up your e-brake at speed. In which case the flat spots should be self-explanatory.

Anyway, if your truck isn't bouncing around like its riding on springs only and there's no out of ordinary harshness. Your shocks are probably fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Thanks ......... I certainly agree with all you've said and appreciate the come-back but .... I just bought the truck used less that 1000 miles ago so I have no record of what the previous owner has done for tire rotation. Since the truck has only 39K it seems unreasonable that the tires should be worn in such a manner. I do know the owner took it to Texas from Florida and back though. Past history has shown me that flat spots on the tire may also indicate a " bounching " of the tire during normal driving (mostly hwy) causing the tire to wear like that. i.e bad shocks If the previous owner knew that and rotated the tires prior to trade-in that could explan why the spots occur on the rear also ..
The truck still drives nice around town except for the " roaring " which could also be described as an intermittent thump I get at faster speeds. It's tolerable but not what the Fronty is supposed to do.
Kris

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've done some researching and want to eventually install a 2-1.5 leveling kit because I think it rides better ... but for now, no kit has been installed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks bud !!! I currently have Goodrich 265 - R 16 Long Trail T/A's that will need replacing ..... Is there as better high milage off road looking street tire for the Fronty ?

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
BFG ATs PRG open in about an hour Call greg. If you end up doing a 2 inch lift you can fit 33 inch tire so 285/75 16. He can get you the best shocks for how you drive. Tell him what your looking for and he can get the valved just for that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts