Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a habit of putting my hand on the automatic shifter from driving a stick for awhile. Today after driving 20 miles, I noticed that the shifter was warm to the touch, and where it says 1 and 2 on the gear select it was even hotter. Anyone have any ideas of why these areas are heating up? Makes me think the transmission is overheating.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
I'm interested in the answer to this as well because I have the same thing happening. I've never really worried about it since it's been doing it since the day I bought it 2 years ago and it hasn't caused any problems thus far.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Could it be the electronics that are heating up and then the leds and not to mention, the trans is right under there and that is hot.
That's what I've always assumed it was. It's just good to hear some one else thinks the same thing.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Engines and transmissions put off a lot of heat. With little insulation between the shifter in the cabin and the tranny below you'll always feel heat in that area. I have in every car I've ever driven. Hopefully someone more in touch with meachanics will chime in, but I think it's normal.

If you think about it an engine runs approx. 180 degrees. This isn't comfortable for human touch and feels hot, but it's normal for the engine.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Just take the plastic off and inspect. It comes off in just seconds, it's wicked easy to take apart the interior of this truck.

The heat is just being transferred through the shift arm from the tranny, the tranny does truly get quite warm normally. My isuzu rodeo's shift selector also gets quite warm, much more noticeable than the frontier.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
My truck has done this since new, but since I rarely have my hands around that area I don't notice it.

OkieScot

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Engines and transmissions put off a lot of heat. With little insulation between the shifter in the cabin and the tranny below you'll always feel heat in that area. I have in every car I've ever driven. Hopefully someone more in touch with meachanics will chime in, but I think it's normal.

If you think about it an engine runs approx. 180 degrees. This isn't comfortable for human touch and feels hot, but it's normal for the engine.
Could be normal for your trucks, but it could be a crack, tear, or other breach of insulation or rubber seal letting trans heat up into that area. I've seen this happen in other vehicles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts