Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've searched and searched, plus I've been working at it all morning.

How in the HELL do you remove the shift knobs on our 1st gens????

I've twisted and pulled the hell outta mine.

The reason I want to change mine out is my stock one was falling apart. The thread on the right side was coming out and it was annoyingly flapping when I grabbed the knob.

Has anyone replaced it? I though maybe it was bolted on but after removing the leather I see NO screws or bolts.

Can anyone help? And if I missed the thread please direct me to it. I searched for a while but came up with nothing, at least for 1st Gens.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL thanks.

I finally got it off. I just didn't wanna crank on it until I knew for sure.

However the knob I was gonna replace it with doesn't fit. :(

Oh well, I'll have to get something else.

Thanks though!!

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
Auto or manual trans?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I know the 4x4 knob was super hard to remove. I had to use the channel locks and be extremely careful when turning it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was manual trans, sorry. But the knob was a ***** to get off, so I'm sure the 4x4 knob is just as hard. I wrapped the knob in a t-shirt and used some channel locks so I didn't scar it all up.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
That is exactly what I did to remove the 4x4 knob.

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
How do you like the weighted leather shift knob?
Love it! I think it makes everything feel more substantial... Definitely use a little bit of loctite on the threads. Something that will break loose with some force, but keeps it from moving by hand. It was a constant annoyance before I did that and it would rotate a little to one side or the other.

Heath

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thread Size

I recently inherited an old school knob, but before I go reefin' on the current shift knob, I'm wondering if anyone knows the thread size and pitch on the shift rod?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I didn't use any loctite on the threads, just tightened it up the best I could. I used one of those adjustable rubber strap wrenches to break loose the old knob, and the same tool to tighten the new one. It worked perfect.
The new weighted knob felt MUCH nicer than the stock one. Amazing the difference in weight between the two, and how much better the new knob feels when going through the gears.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts