Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I changed the engine oil, coolant, and air filter on my 2006 Frontier SE CC today. About 20 miles down the freeway, the SES light came on. Scanned it a few miles later at AutoZone, and P0455 (evap gross leak) was returned.

I got a P0455 once before, but it came on simultaneously with my low fuel warning last time, and the light went out a few ignition cycles after I fueled up, so I didn't bother to do anything about it. Today though, I had about 3/4 of a tank when the light came on. I filled the tank last night, and drove 50-60 miles after filling the tank before changing the oil, and then another 20 or so before the SES light came on.

Searching these forums indicates that P0455 is a fairly common error code, and that it's the gas cap, or some other faulty part of the evap system. I haven't changed the gas cap yet, but I'll do that tomorrow morning.

My question is this: if the gas cap doesn't cause the light to go off after a few ignition cycles, what should I do? I'd usually just call for an appointment w/ a mechanic, but I'm scheduled to start on a short road trip very early Monday morning. I'll be doing about 450-500 miles Monday morning, 325 miles Thursday morning, and 250 more miles next Sunday morning. Some of you might not consider that to be a lot, but I'll be 6+ hours from home, and I don't particularly feel like breaking down that far away. Is P0455 something that I need to address immediately, and definitely get resolved before I leave, or is it probably safe to ignore that code until after the trip?

TIA.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Drew,
The PO455 is a gross leak and mine was caused by the "fresh air selenoid valve mounted on the canister .This vents the canister of vapors in the canister. Mine came on and went off for over 1000 miles until i removed it and "Freed " up the plunger that was rusted in the selenoid assy. But since then i replaced it with a new one. The ses light and operation of the frontier was not effected. In fact the light will cycle on and off after awhile The part cost me about 75 plus shipping on the net
Codemaster

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I've been setting 0455 for a couple of years now. Pretty sure mine is caused by the sending unit O ring leaking. I've got a gas stain on the driveshaft side of my gas tank. I can smell fuel when I fill it up and let it set for a few hours on a hot day. One day I'll drop my tank and fix it.
Do a search. There's a couple of good posts on 0455.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I did some searching and reading. I went to AutoZone and bought a new gas cap today, installed it, and then unhooked the battery for 20 minutes to reset the SES light. I've driven 30 miles or so since then, and it's not been back on yet... but that doesn't mean too much. I think that I'm going to go ahead and start the trip in the morning... if the SES light comes back on, I'll deal with it once I get back.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I've been setting 0455 for a couple of years now. Pretty sure mine is caused by the sending unit O ring leaking. I've got a gas stain on the driveshaft side of my gas tank. I can smell fuel when I fill it up and let it set for a few hours on a hot day. One day I'll drop my tank and fix it.
Do a search. There's a couple of good posts on 0455.
BTW... read the recalls on our trucks.... Also the tech bulletins... There is something on that gas leaking when its full... something about the breather...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well... the light is back on. I left home, drove about 20 miles, filled the tank. Drove 260 miles, and stopped for fuel again. Filled up at a Meijer gas station. When the pump auto-stopped pumping, I assumed it was done. Got back in the truck, and the needle was just shy of the "Full" mark on the gauge, whereas it's usually quite past the Full mark. Got back on the interstate and the SES light came back on within a few miles.

Since I'm not sure whether the amount of fuel in the tank after filling up at Meijer was the same as the amount of fuel in the tank after filling up in the morning, I can't accurately determine the mileage I was getting. If I make that assumption though, I got 20.9 MPG.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I drove for about 3 months (5k miles) while throwing that code. Didn't seem to affect performance or mileage at all. It was the evap canister vent that caused it for me.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
My SES came on Monday for no apparent reason. Truck was running fine. I drove it Mon-Tue with the light on and did the battery disconnect reset last night. Hasn't come back on so far. Last time it did this, it was some valve that has to do with the evap system. They told me I was overfilling the gas tank. Hard to do when you don't top off, but whatever.
Good luck.

·
Registered
196 Posts
This indicates a fuel vapor leak or lack of purge flow in the EVAP control system. It means a large leak has been detected. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. Fuel vapors are routed by hoses to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is running a purge control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors into the engine.

SymptomsYou likely won't notice any drivability problems.

CausesA code p0455 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:

A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand)
Other leak or damaged piece in EVAP system

1 - 14 of 14 Posts