Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new stereo HU, and disconnected the neg. batt. terminal during the install. Now my Service Engine Soon light is on steady, not flashing. The gas cap is not loose. I don't own a code reader, but I will try the method of searching fault codes without a scan tool tomorrow. Has anyone else had SES light come on just from disconnecting/reconnecting the battery or is it totally unrelated?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, your truck may have just has a senior moment when you put it all back together. I'm not sure if there are any wires under the dash that could bring up an SES light.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't worry about it, your truck may have just has a senior moment when you put it all back together. I'm not sure if there are any wires under the dash that could bring up an SES light.
I can't ignore it. My state has annual vehicle safety/emissions inspections, It will not pass inspection till the fault is corrected. Also, during the inspection the OBD port is connected by phone to the states emissions headquarters so just temporarily clearing the dash light, won't hide the fault. I need to fix it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Take it up to Auto Zone or Advanced Auto Parts, they have a scanner and can read the codes for free. They may even be willing to clear out the code for free - I've never asked them to do that. You can get a decent scan tool from Amazon for $50 or less that will clear the code, though.

If the light came on due to power failure, clearing it out should not cause it to reappear.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

Following this procedure "How to Pull Code for SES Light/CEL without a Code Reader" I came up with this fault code:

P0603 Internal Control Module Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error

A little research indicates this code can happen when battery is disconnected, in my case for several days.
Using the "How to Pull Code for SES Light/CEL without a Code Reader" I cleared the code. I hope this takes care of it. I will have to wait and see if it returns.I will let you know if it does:frown:

Thanks all for your suggestions, and a caution to anyone disconnecting your battery for any reason, you may also get the P0603 code; if so, give the "How to Pull Code for SES Light/CEL without a Code Reader" a try before going to the dealer/autozone/etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts