Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last week or so my truck has been acting funny. Driving down the highway the other day at around 70 it lost all power for about 2 seconds (fell on its face) then continued on like nothing happened. After i got off the highway and into the stop and go it didnt feel like it had the power it used to have. When i got home I turned it off and tried restarting it and it started hard. i tried it a few times and it started hard every time. I let it cool off for a few hours and it was fine.

At this point its been driving a little weird. Seems to shift a little funny but other then that OK. No check engine light or anything but i can tell its just acting funny.

Now tonight on my way home from work it seemed to be shifting funny and then finally the check engine and slip lights came on. I shut the truck off and went to restart it again and it was very hard to restart. once running it runs fine, idles nice etc. once cooled down for a little while it goes back to starting fine etc. What the heck is going on with this thing??? Does it know that this weekend I was planning on trading it in because im scared its gonna cose me another $7,600 to fix it like it did this past year????

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
For the last week or so my truck has been acting funny. Driving down the highway the other day at around 70 it lost all power for about 2 seconds (fell on its face) then continued on like nothing happened. After i got off the highway and into the stop and go it didnt feel like it had the power it used to have. When i got home I turned it off and tried restarting it and it started hard. i tried it a few times and it started hard every time. I let it cool off for a few hours and it was fine.

At this point its been driving a little weird. Seems to shift a little funny but other then that OK. No check engine light or anything but i can tell its just acting funny.

Now tonight on my way home from work it seemed to be shifting funny and then finally the check engine and slip lights came on. I shut the truck off and went to restart it again and it was very hard to restart. once running it runs fine, idles nice etc. once cooled down for a little while it goes back to starting fine etc. What the heck is going on with this thing??? Does it know that this weekend I was planning on trading it in because im scared its gonna cose me another $7,600 to fix it like it did this past year????
I think you can relax a bit:) Get your codes pulled for the check engine light. There is also a recall for the IPDM relay, http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/ipdm-recall-official-pc068-65819/

Ask a stealership if it applies to you...

My guess is 1. recall issue or 2. cam sensor

I do not believe you are in for $7600 in repairs. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up. From my search last night I was kinda thinking it was the cam/crank sensor myself. How much does that usually run to fix? Why does it seem to be intermittent???

Also whats that IPDM relay thing you speak of?

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
It stands for Intelligent Power Distribution Module, but not too sure what it does. It will definitely ruin your day when it fails though:) Generally speaking, it seems most owners with this issue experience intermittent stalls and hard starts prior to an all out failure in which they can't start the car at all. Your symptoms match a cam sensor failure also though, so worth while to get your codes read prior to throwing parts at it. There is a tutorial for IPDM relay swap around here somewhere if it leaves you stranded, basically just swap out a couple of relays for a short term fix.

·
Super Moderator
11,250 Posts
Does it know that this weekend I was planning on trading it in because im scared its gonna cose me another $7,600 to fix it like it did this past year????
Please share, what cost you $7600?

Clint

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Please share, what cost you $7600?

Clint
Front wheel bearing went bad so I took it to shop and asked him to look at the clunk in the rear while there. Ended up costing me a fortune!!!

New rear end
All new rear brakes and parking brake
New front brakes while it was apart
New front wheel bearings
Front diff service and all new seals in front diff
2nd aux tranny cooler to bypass the radiator

Also when I bought the truck it had a brand new radiator and brand new tranny just installed from the dealer!!!

Now 20k miles later and the rear still has a little clunk to it like the old one had but they say its OK. Probably cause they don't wanna pay to warranty it.

Ok...my girlfriend just took the truck to the auto parts store since I am working. It's now stalling at lights etc.

Anyways he ran the code and said its the cam sensor. Something about right position???

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Front wheel bearing went bad so I took it to shop and asked him to look at the clunk in the rear while there. Ended up costing me a fortune!!!

New rear end
All new rear brakes and parking brake
New front brakes while it was apart
New front wheel bearings
Front diff service and all new seals in front diff
2nd aux tranny cooler to bypass the radiator

Also when I bought the truck it had a brand new radiator and brand new tranny just installed from the dealer!!!

Now 20k miles later and the rear still has a little clunk to it like the old one had but they say its OK. Probably cause they don't wanna pay to warranty it.

Ok...my girlfriend just took the truck to the auto parts store since I am working. It's now stalling at lights etc.

Anyways he ran the code and said its the cam sensor. Something about right position???
You're in luck then, should be cheap and easy to repair.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
update: dropped it off at the dealer this morning, told them what was wrong and they have been "looking" at it all day saying that's not the problem and they cannot figure it out so far. WTF is going on here?

I drove it about 20 minutes myself last night to the dealer. It was OK when it was cold then started acting up about 10 minutes into the ride. Lack of power, real loss of power above 40. When you come to a stop light and took foot off gas pedal sometimes it would stall and take a second of cranking to start up again.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
update: dropped it off at the dealer this morning, told them what was wrong and they have been "looking" at it all day saying that's not the problem and they cannot figure it out so far. WTF is going on here?

I drove it about 20 minutes myself last night to the dealer. It was OK when it was cold then started acting up about 10 minutes into the ride. Lack of power, real loss of power above 40. When you come to a stop light and took foot off gas pedal sometimes it would stall and take a second of cranking to start up again.

Did you ask them about the recall for the relay replacement? Could just be a loose connection somewhere as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you ask them about the recall for the relay replacement? Could just be a loose connection somewhere as well.
I did not ask them about that.

Here is the final verdict. Just got off phone with them recently. After they took all day to look at it they finally decided that I was right and it was the cam sensor. They just couldn't prove it was/reproduce the problem. They needed to drive it with the computer attached to see it for them selves. The sensor was only malfunctioning intermittently so that's why it was so hard to diagnose. Good thing the guy at the auto parts store was able to do it in 30 seconds. Hahaha

Anyways it's a $100 part and $192 in labor. Just another $300 I gotta sink into that POS just to trade in in this weekend!!!

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Chances are, the guy at the parts store cleared your codes, making it harder for the dealer. Glad it wasn't something serious.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I've experienced the exact same thing! I've only had my 2012 Nissan Frontier less than 3 months. It's been acting very strange the past 7 days. Like the accelerator is sticking and shifting weird. My engine light & Slip light came on at the same time. Did I make a bad purchase? Is Nissan a crappy product? Is there some sort tof recall I don't know about?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts