Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the truck going on 3 weeks tomorrow. I always change all fluids and use Amsoil synthetic. Tossed the old pan gasket. Did not know if it is reusable like the Dodge gaskets or just old and hard. Used the Neoprene gasket that came with the filter kit from Rock Auto. Drove it 30 miles and the gasket has crawled out and leaking like crazy. Checked with Autozone and O'Reilly and both had the same exact gasket I had. Went to the Nissan dealer and they said 3 days to order one. Said they have only used 1 in history. Never change the filter or take off the pan. Went to Napa. None in stock. Said they have never sold one. This is a warehouse distributor for 40+ NAPA stores. Nobody changes filters nor takes off the pan? Ever? Seems bizarre to me. Zero maintenance vehicle? Dealer parts man said he had no idea if the factory gasket is a hard gasket, neoprene coated metal, metal with a built in silicone o ring like Dodge, cork, rubber or anything till I order it and receive it. Said no-one replaces filters and one is not listed under the VIN number for my truck. d:surprise:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Are you talking about the "oil pan" for the motor or the Auto transmission? If the trans, NO nobody takes off the pan anymore. I have 183,000 on mine and the pan has never been off.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Dealer service won't even drop the pan, they'll drain and fill or (god forbid) hook it to a flush machine (don't let them do this)

Also, there is no serviceable filter. There's a metal screen and that's it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,721 Posts
The Nissan auto trans has a sreen in there not a filter like you are thinking of. No, you don't remove the pan, it's just a drain and fill as stated above. I understand what you're thinking but these Nissans are different.

Clint

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. did that as usual. Only mistake is I did not order a factory gasket ahead of time assuming that it might be a rigid gasket or assuming that a Nissan dealer would have simple gaskets for a common transmission in stock if I needed one. When the trans warmed up the neoprene one pooched out between the bolts. Talked to a transmission shop today that says it is a common problem with the gaskets that come with the filters so much so they reuse many old gaskets and shellac them because they are stiff no matter what brand unless they are a company that uses rigid material. After the brake cleaner, I used an ultra thin layer of silicone on my gasket. Guess I am spoiled by 20 years of Dodge reuseable transmission pan gaskets. I have not bought a Nissan part since the 80's. Kind of disappointed in dealer parts inventory in our area and touch so with service being it took 4 tries to get a possible appointment. First question was did I buy it here every time I went in or called. Seems that buyers have first chance at service. I am in the mind set that if service and parts are good then I might consider purchasing there. Sales is a different story. They are all over you like flies at a picnic holding the door open for you to come in. Our old Jaguar and old Lincoln, both 13 years old that we bought years ago used still get phone calls from the companies asking if we are happy with them and service has been OUTSTANDING! With less than half the miles of this Nissan they have hardly needed any service other than regular maintenance. Thanks for sending the link.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
When I removed the pan I noticed there was about 1 qt of oil still in the pan after letting it drain 1/2 hour. Tipped it and made a mess, then poured the rest in a pan. You cannot clean sediment out of pan with drain and fill nor can you get the last bit of oil out. What is the sense of draining out 10 qts of dirty oil and leaving 1 worn out and dirty behind? If you are putting $100 in synthetic oil in it, what is the price of a gasket, filter and not contaminating the new oil with a qt of dirty oil? Not much percentage more. I understand the torgue converter cannot be drained but why leave the extra dirty quart that has the sediment in it? I took a cooler line off and let it drain back through too to get all the dirty oil out possible. Some on another Nissan forum told me they drained and filled theirs with 5 quarts. Mine took 11.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Like it's been said, the standard service for these transmissions is just a drain and fill. Usually when you do a drain and fill you will only get about 4-4.5 quarts out. If you want to replace all the fluid in the transmission it's recommended to do multiple drain and fills over a short period. I've read some guys do maybe 4 in a month and by the last drain and fill the fluid is nice and red. I get that this is not a complete service as there is sediment in the pan and the magnets don't get cleaned off, but this is how Nissan does it and there are lots of high mileage frontiers out there with original transmissions. My truck is still new, 20,000KM but when I change the oil I also do a drain and fill. You're under the truck already and it's a super simple procedure so I figure why not. I suspect when I hit 100,000km I'll likely drop the pan and give it a real service.

Sorry you're having such bad luck, hopefully you get the proper gasket asap. Did the dealer order one for you or have you sourced a proper one from somewhere else?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dealer said the order went in this afternoon so should have it Friday or Monday. Maybe the drain and fill bit is the reason why they have multiple magnets in the pan vs one in domestic vehicles. When I drain the Dodge all the oil comes out of the pan except what you can wipe with a rag. This truck still had about a quart in the pan.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
If you jack up one side you can usually get most of it out of the pan, I'm to lazy to bother as I drain and fill often enough that my fluid looks fine. Perhaps it's over kill but to me it's easy insurance on my transmission life. If I didn't plan on keeping this truck long I wouldn't bother

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
Nissan, nor many Asian manufacturers, have not had serviceable trans filters for decades; they use metal screens. When I went to the automatic trans class at Nissan's regional training center in NJ years ago, they said the reason is that if there is enough debris in the transmission oil to restrict the flow through the filter, then, something is breaking apart (likely clutch material) and the trans doesn't need a service, rather, a trans replacement or overhaul. What little metal debris due to normal wear will stick to the magnets in the pan.
The RE5 trans uses synthetic ATF, so it has much better wear properties than good ol' Dexron III/Mercon (which should NOT be used in this trans whatsoever). Servicing every 30,000 miles is not necessary like it used to be on the older Nissan 3 and 4 speed automatics, albeit, I do a drain and fill every 30K. For those that want to flush the transmission, draining the ATF at the cooler hose while replacing the fluid with new through the dipstick is the best way if you don't have a fluid exchange machine at your disposal. While I have nothing bad to say about AMSOIL trans fluid, personally, I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF in every Nissan automatic transmission I own (I have four of them: 06 Pathy LE, 08 Pathy SE, 03 Frontier SVE and 86 Sentra...as well as the no longer owned 97 D21 truck). I've never had any trans problems and it's hard to beat the value at $17.50 for a one gallon jug at Walmart. FYI, Nissan-matic "S" is actually made by Castrol and is the same as Castrol Transmax Import Multi-vehicle ATF.
The factory trans pan gasket is a steel gasket coated with a paper material. When R&R the trans pan, Nissan also recommends replacing all of the transmission pan bolts, as they come with sealant coating their threads. The drain plug gasket is the same as the one for the engine oil pan, Nissan 11026-01M02; I buy these by the bag from Ebay.

Reactions: R00

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gasket came in and replaced it. It is a fiber cardboard type gasket and not a reusable type. $30. Rest of the parts came in damaged in open packages AND the wrong parts so re-ordered again. Service stinks so bad that I am tempted to hang a sign on it when everything is fixed. If it only did not drive so nice it would not be a delema.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've got 265000 on my '05. I've done a 3 qt drain and fill every time I've changed the oil since 200000. Before then I never touched the transmission, and I'm the only owner of the truck.

Reactions: Justwork

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I am used to a different world. I am used to pulling a 32' loaded gooseneck grossing about 32,000 lbs total wt behind a dodge pickup I've had 18 years and changing the transmission oil regularly. I have no book on the Nissan. The book on our old Jaguar says to drain the oil in it's transmission for first service at 150,000 miles. Being it is 13 years old and has 60,000 miles, that might take a while.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you smj999smj. I might have saved some headache had I known this before. I am used to when I buy something new changing fluids at about 2,000 miles in case there is machining debris, most of our equipment says to do that at 50 and 200 hours new and anything I buy used I change everything. I actually wanted valvoline synthetic but could not find any till last night so I ordered Amsoil. Truthfully, Amsoil has not blown me away. The dodge axles and trans will burn up anything not synthetic in 1 loaded trip. I mean black rearend oil and brown tranny. Synthetic always looks new at every change interval. Appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Cheers bud.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Aftermarket trans pan gasket is a joke. Same thing happened to my wife's 06 Xterra. Had to tow the Xterra back home. Ordered a factory pan gasket.

The aftermarket gasket said to torque to factory specs. That's BS. Warped the pan and the rubber gasket squeezed out causing the leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Gasket came in and replaced it. It is a fiber cardboard type gasket and not a reusable type. $30. Rest of the parts came in damaged in open packages AND the wrong parts so re-ordered again. Service stinks so bad that I am tempted to hang a sign on it when everything is fixed. If it only did not drive so nice it would not be a delema.
Well next time you know to do a drain and fill. Much simpler, no replacement parts needed. Quicker then an oil change. Cleaner then dropping the pan.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whole deal shows you are never too old to learn something new. Nissan is one brand I do not know anyone who owns one so did not have anyone to ask. Interesting someone makes a transmission that needs little attention. No wonder I could find no information on band adjustment while servicing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ef9, same crap I had. Top that off, where the gasket pooched out, it had thinned the rubber gasket enough that all those bolts were now loose. Lost 1 qt of oil in 20 miles. put a pan under it in the garage and not large enough. By morning the oil had run all the way across floor to under the front bumper. Had a similar issue on the Chrysler car years ago with a kit gasket. Factory was no issue. I do not know why the filter kits come with such junk. Sorry you had the same issue. Sucks.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
ef9, same crap I had. Top that off, where the gasket pooched out, it had thinned the rubber gasket enough that all those bolts were now loose. Lost 1 qt of oil in 20 miles. put a pan under it in the garage and not large enough. By morning the oil had run all the way across floor to under the front bumper. Had a similar issue on the Chrysler car years ago with a kit gasket. Factory was no issue. I do not know why the filter kits come with such junk. Sorry you had the same issue. Sucks.
Yeah it's pretty crazy that a none OEM gasket just plain doesn't work. I mean, the manufacturer's job is to do 1 thing, make sure it works... FAIL. I hate cleaning oil and crap off my garage floor, I would have been pretty pissed too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts