Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This extra cold air lately seems to be contributing to my parking brake dash light staying on after I lower the brake handle. If I gently push down on the downed/lowered handle, the light will go off. If I release this gentle pressure, the light comes back on. Is this an easy adjustment/fix where the sensor must be located at the base of the parking brake handle?

Side note: As the interior/cabin temp increases, the sensitivity of this mechanism/sensor decreases and the light will stay off on it's own...until truck is again chilled down due to Wintry temps.
TIA

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
This extra cold air lately seems to be contributing to my parking brake dash light staying on after I lower the brake handle. If I gently push down on the downed/lowered handle, the light will go off. If I release this gentle pressure, the light comes back on. Is this an easy adjustment/fix where the sensor must be located at the base of the parking brake handle?

Side note: As the interior/cabin temp increases, the sensitivity of this mechanism/sensor decreases and the light will stay off on it's own...until truck is again chilled down due to Wintry temps.
TIA
Have you tried leaving the parking brake down overnight? (just use a wheel chock for safety instead of e-brake?) My guess is the grease on/in the switch is old and the cold is making it overly thick. I need to adjust my brake slack in the AM and will check the style of momentary switch. Check if there's extra grease around it and wipe it clean and then just give it a light squirt of lithium spray grease or a dab of white lithium.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
And make sure the brake fluid in the reservoir is not at borderline low level.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,353 Posts
Yup - ^ this is what was causing my brake light sensitivity.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Have you tried leaving the parking brake down overnight? (just use a wheel chock for safety instead of e-brake?) My guess is the grease on/in the switch is old and the cold is making it overly thick. I need to adjust my brake slack in the AM and will check the style of momentary switch. Check if there's extra grease around it and wipe it clean and then just give it a light squirt of lithium spray grease or a dab of white lithium.
Guys, thanks for the input so far. A petty issue I know, but just hoping to hear/find a simple solution. :)

My truck is garaged. Split level house design means the garage is semi-warm. Therefore, the light isn't acting up until I'm out shopping or the truck spent the night outside (IE staying overnight at Mom's - she's 87). The cold has all the metal naturally contracting...so would assume/hope there is an adjustment to address this?

W/ a slim 15 miles to go before my 36K warranty expires, I called my local dealership's service dept. They can't take me until next week, but they asked that I come by to verify odometer reading - which I did.

My previous Frontier, '00 XE:
The 'dash-mounted' parking brake and dash light did the exact same thing during Winter months. Different mechanism, but same result. This truck was parked outside (car port) all year since no garage at the time.

Hmm... Just had brake fluid flushed a couple weeks ago...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Same thing happened with my truck right from the factory, ( 2016 ). Colder it got, the more it acted up. Took it into the dealership and they just readjusted the handle so it would stay down. If I pressed down on the handle while it was already down I could get the light to turn off ,land could feel it kinda spring back up again when my hand was taken off which would bring the light back on

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dealer addressed my issue today... Service advisor said the parking/E-brake cable was stretched and it is now "adjusted as far as it will go" at the handle/mechanism. It was suggested I'm pulling up on the handle too far when parking. I suppose(?) this is plausible. Handle action now has less travel.

Was also told that "adjustments" like the above are not covered under the 36k warranty. There was no charge for today.

IIRC, there is another way to further adjust for this at the rear axle/parking brakes?

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never checked them. Truck currently sitting at ~36,100 miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts